Time Changes on Eastbound TA

wallyworld583

Can anyone explain why Princess does time changes at night on the eastbound TAs? We just finished our 3rd eastbound TA (first on Princess) and the other lines all did the time change at noon. That was much easier on the body than 6 daylight saving time spring ahead changes in a row. By the 7th day our bodies were so out of rhythm it was pathetic. The clock said it was bedtime,(11pm) but body said it is only 4 in the afternoon.

Here's a rather emphatic discussion of that topic from a month ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2497323

Based on the small random sample from that thread it appears most Princess passengers prefer the overnight switch. rather than the midday. The midday does seem to make a bit more sense to me (as I argued in that thread) but I don't see how one would lessen "ship lag" over the other--its just a given with any form of eastbound travel.

Here's a rather emphatic discussion of that topic from a month ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2497323

Based on the small random sample from that thread it appears most Princess passengers prefer the overnight switch. rather than the midday. The midday does seem to make a bit more sense to me (as I argued in that thread) but I don't see how one would lessen "ship lag" over the other--its just a given with any form of eastbound travel.

It is said it is up to the captain to make the decision. However, a mid-day one does cut out some prime time for sales in the shops and bars, I'm sure the crew likes it--less hours to work (lol). If you have early traditional seating, a mid-day change seems to have you have you eating pretty quick again after lunch.

Sorry I didn't look for the other thread. Most of the folks on this last cruise, that we talked to, were not happy with the night changes. I can see both sides but I would gladly give up an hour of shopping!

I would hate being forced to have my dinner extra early. Setting the clock ahead at bed time and waking up to the "correct" time is vastly preferable to us. Changing time in the middle of the day just seems really disruptive.

Can anyone explain why Princess does time changes at night on the eastbound TAs? We just finished our 3rd eastbound TA (first on Princess) and the other lines all did the time change at noon. That was much easier on the body than 6 daylight saving time spring ahead changes in a row. By the 7th day our bodies were so out of rhythm it was pathetic. The clock said it was bedtime,(11pm) but body said it is only 4 in the afternoon.

I don't know what cruise line makes the changes at noon.

We have done transatlantics on Oceania, Celebrity, and NCL and all three cruise lines made the changes at night.

I don't know what cruise line makes the changes at noon.

We have done transatlantics on Oceania, Celebrity, and NCL and all three cruise lines made the changes at night.

You are posting in the Princess section. At least some of the Princess captains change the time at noon rather than 2am. We were on the Royal Princess TA in April and we had 5 consecutive changes all at noon

Can anyone explain why Princess does time changes at night on the eastbound TAs? We just finished our 3rd eastbound TA (first on Princess) and the other lines all did the time change at noon.

I was on one non-Princess TA where the time changes were done at noon. I found that much better than the method of changing at 2 AM.

By changing the time at noon you can go to sleep at your regular hour and not lose any sleep due to time changes.

However, there were a number of complaints from passengers who did not what to lose an hour of daytime activities.

Personally, I find the daytime clock adjustment heading East (-1hr) and the nighttime adjustment heading West (+1hr) more comfortable to my cruise style.

And I believe it's better for the crew and staff as well. They get more rest time, both ways!

MP.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are posting in the Princess section. At least some of the Princess captains change the time at noon rather than 2am. We were on the Royal Princess TA in April and we had 5 consecutive changes all at noon

I know I am posting in the Princess section. The OP said her other cruises, not on Princess, changed at noon.

So I was wondering what cruise line OP experienced that changed at noon.

Clock changes, both advance and retard, were traditionally done at night. Then, with the advent of mandatory work/rest rules for the crew, it was found that it is far easier to advance clocks during the day and retard clocks at night and keep the required rest hours, particularly when there are repeated clock changes.

I know I am posting in the Princess section. The OP said her other cruises, not on Princess, changed at noon.

So I was wondering what cruise line OP experienced that changed at noon.

Not the OP, but we had the time changes at noon on Royal Caribbean.