The Adventures of a Lost Item

I forgot my Kindle on an NCL cruise before I disembarked on March 19, 2017. It was likely covered by the bedding. I reported it to the Lost and Found for NCL the next day and was assigned a claim number.

I waited and waited and called about every three weeks and even filled out the form they recommend that cruise lines, airlines and hotels use. When I called, I was told "it was in transit." After about six weeks, they told me it was still sitting at the office on the west coast and it would be delivered to Miami "sometime."

Then, the company that handles lost and found told me that it wasn't found and that was the end of the story, even though it wasn't.

I continued to call every few weeks and they had a supervisor on the case, with no results. Some one was supposed to call me or send me an email to arrange the mailing (it was to be sent POD).

Then, low and behold: a Federal Express package arrived with no letter or explanation, but the kindle, cover, small headphones and stylus were all in there.

So, it took almost three months, but the item WAS returned!

WOW. That is great. Very good to hear people do the right thing ... every once in a while. What would have happened if someone kept it? Could they set it up as their own and buy books? If they bought books on 'your account', it would flag you in some way, wouldn't it? Just wondering.

I have a similar story on Carnival. On the first day of the cruise, I left an expensive camera lens by my seat on deck and realized it within 1 minute. Went back and it was gone. Put in a report at guest services and got a claim number. Checked back every morning of the cruise and nobody turned it in. I thought all hope was lost so I bought a new lens in one of the ports so I could get good pictures. About 5 weeks after we got home, I received a call asking me to describe the lens including any unique markers. She found my lens and would send it to me COD. One month later, the package arrived and I got my lens back. It took 9-10 weeks but it finally got to me. 😃😃

Hubby lost his phone on boarding day on an RCI cruise....went to lost and found...they didn't have it. We stopped his service, of course...and since we don't use our phones on the ship, it wasn't a huge deal. Last evening, we decided to check again...and lo and behold, they had it! Why they didn't call us, I don't know, but he got his phone back...we reactivated it...and life was good!

WOW. That is great. Very good to hear people do the right thing ... every once in a while. What would have happened if someone kept it? Could they set it up as their own and buy books? If they bought books on 'your account', it would flag you in some way, wouldn't it? Just wondering.

I can tell you for sure that if I lost my Kindle, the finder would be able to buy books on my account at Amazon. Yes, it would certainly be a heads up for me if I started seeing romance novels getting bought on my account!

I can tell you for sure that if I lost my Kindle, the finder would be able to buy books on my account at Amazon. Yes, it would certainly be a heads up for me if I started seeing romance novels getting bought on my account!

I know with my Nook ... same thing ... I'd get an email as soon as a book is purchased. Also, the Nook can be wiped completely clean as if it was the first day it was purchased. Then the person who stole it can set up their own account and buy books with their card.

I reset as many accounts as I could to prevent theft or purchases. I also had the device password protected.

How do you reset accounts? When I mentioned my Nook, wiping it deletes ALL of your books, magazines, apps/games, etc. It is just like you purchased the Nook brand new and are setting up a new account. Is that what you mean by reset accounts?

Nice that you eventually received your Kindle, Markanddonna. On our HAL Alaska cruise I misplaced my prescription glasses, two days before the end of our cruise. I checked on board and with the jetboat shore excursion we'd taken that day...nothing.

Back home, FIVE months later, I got them in the mail at work! (I keep a business card in the case). They were sent by HAL, but no note was enclosed. I have no idea where they were all that time, but it was great to get them back. :)

How do you reset accounts? When I mentioned my Nook, wiping it deletes ALL of your books, magazines, apps/games, etc. It is just like you purchased the Nook brand new and are setting up a new account. Is that what you mean by reset accounts?

With a Kindle you can contact Amazon and they will "brick" it. They block the device from being used in any way. The person who has it can't buy any books from it using the original account and it can't be registered any other Amazon account. In other words it becomes a brick!

We knew a now retired Hotel Director on a Carnival ship. (knew him well enough, he would always send me a bottle of wine each cruise we took with him!)

He was from NY but lived in Uruguay, South America .

When his wife would come for a cruise, she would buy things she couldn't get or cost was high in Uruguay. She would come with one suitcase but go home with three ! She flew from Charleston, SC.

Once she only got one suitcase when she got home. This was in August. In the end of September #2 arrives. no idea where it had been. Then in November #3 showed up. It had been in Texas! They have no idea what happened but she did get all three back. It wasn't ship's fault but the airline solved her missing luggage problem!

One time my husband left his Zune player (YES ... he insisted on Zune and not Ipod) on the plane. We changed planes and he was looking for his Zune and said "Oh ... I left it on the other plane!". The stewardess saw us looking in all of our pockets and bags and asked what we were looking for? He told her and she handed him the Zune player!

Me? My loss was never recovered. I had only 1 pair of sunglasses with me on our Mediterranean cruise. They are the kind that you wear over your regular glasses ... big and black and expensive ... as sunglasses go. In Mykonos, I went to ladies room, took off my sunglasses and put them on the back of the toilet. Did my business and left the stall and the glasses. I ran back in, told everyone I was NOT cutting in line but they were gone. No one saw anything. No one at the sinks or in line. So I had to dash out and find a junky pair of sunglasses that cost 20 Euros!

Last summer I was convinced I'd lost my prescription sunglasses at our resort, I had the entire staff out looking for these things and when I got home, they were in my makeup bag! I was so embarrassed, and of course they contacted me within a couple of hours of us getting back and I had to tell them I'd found them!

I forgot my Kindle on an NCL cruise before I disembarked on March 19, 2017. It was likely covered by the bedding. I reported it to the Lost and Found for NCL the next day and was assigned a claim number.

I waited and waited and called about every three weeks and even filled out the form they recommend that cruise lines, airlines and hotels use. When I called, I was told "it was in transit." After about six weeks, they told me it was still sitting at the office on the west coast and it would be delivered to Miami "sometime."

Then, the company that handles lost and found told me that it wasn't found and that was the end of the story, even though it wasn't.

I continued to call every few weeks and they had a supervisor on the case, with no results. Some one was supposed to call me or send me an email to arrange the mailing (it was to be sent POD).

Then, low and behold: a Federal Express package arrived with no letter or explanation, but the kindle, cover, small headphones and stylus were all in there.

So, it took almost three months, but the item WAS returned!

Have you watched Tom Hanks' Castaway? Fed Ex delivers.. sometimes even after years! LOL :')

You can remove (deregister) the device (meaning your lost Kindle) from your account. If not sure about how to do this, log onto your account and navigate to "Manage Your Content and Devices". Same thing if you want to add a new device (new Kindle).

We left a snorkel bag that had a lot more things stuffed in it on a Princess cruise once. We called as soon as we realized it (at the airport). The ship was leaving from Ft Lauderdale that day for Europe. We didn't hear anything positive back but we kept following up on it. We were told it had been found but it would stay on the ship until it returned to the US. This was fine with us. Then we got a note saying that they now couldn't find it. They asked us how much we thought it was worth and we told them what was in it and that it was old but would need to be replaced and any amount they thought would be fair. We received a nice check from them. I think the thing that made them feel responsible was the fact that they did find it but then lost it while in their possession.

I think they handled it very professionally and we were very pleased (even though it was our fault in the first place).

I lost my prescription sunglasses on a land trip - had them when I left the hotel, didn't have them when we arrived at our restaurant. I though they might have fallen out of my handbag when getting into the car. When we got back to the hotel I asked at the desk if anyone had turned them in and described them. The clerk came back and said "I have good news and bad news. Yes, someone turned in your glasses, but they've been run over by a car!"

Also had a daughter honeymooning on Kauai when Hurricane Iniki hit (1991?). They managed to get to the airport at 6:00am, were told that the last flight out was ready to go - if they wanted on it, just drop everything (leaving luggage behind) and RUN. It took them 3 days to get home to Denver, but when they got there, their luggage was waiting on their front porch!

Did not happen on a ship, but my phone recently decided it liked the Atlantis in Dubai so much it was going to stay there. Ok I put it down somewhere and forgot it. We were flying to Capetown next morning, the staff at Atlantis went out of their way to locate it, thank you to some kind person handing it in. They rang my daughter at 10 pm and had security staff meet us at front and walk us through closed areas of centre to lost and found dept, very helpful.

I lost my prescription sunglasses on a land trip - had them when I left the hotel, didn't have them when we arrived at our restaurant. I though they might have fallen out of my handbag when getting into the car. When we got back to the hotel I asked at the desk if anyone had turned them in and described them. The clerk came back and said "I have good news and bad news. Yes, someone turned in your glasses, but they've been run over by a car!"
>snip<

:D Kartgv, that is good news and bad! My DH was leaving on a trip to San Francisco and I asked if he'd put a business card in his (prescription) sunglasses case. No, and he didn't bother, so I stuck my card in the case as he was leaving. Lo and behold, he loses the glasses and case during the trip...They both show up a week or so later, in a plain (unpadded) envelope, no return address- and the glasses had broken during transit. Poor Raybans. :cool::(

Remember a few years ago about a couple who lost their camera while diving, somewhere in South America, or was it snorkeling? A year or more later it was found and returned to them. Forgotten how they were found but they did get their camera with all pictures returned to them!

Anyone else remember this? Can you fill in my blanks?

Remember a few years ago about a couple who lost their camera while diving, somewhere in South America, or was it snorkeling? A year or more later it was found and returned to them. Forgotten how they were found but they did get their camera with all pictures returned to them!

Anyone else remember this? Can you fill in my blanks?

This may be a different tale, but Aquahound's is a cool story. He was living in Key West at the time. See the first couple of posts: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1209894&highlight=Lost+camera+turtle. :cool: