Why so few "Shower Only" cabins?

DRS/NC

OK, I may get roasted for this post, but so be it!

HAL seems to attract more "mature" clients -- right? So, why do most cabins have a shower-over-tub? Older folks climbing in/out a tub on a moving ship? Accidents waiting to happen?

I know many (most?) cruisers seem to hate the tiny showers in cabins, but they seem far safer to this "mature" w/mobility issues cruiser.

I want to book a 14-day Alaska cruise (Seattle RT, going to Kodiak) for 2018. HAL seems to be the only line offering this cruise, but finding an OV cabin w/shower only is very difficult. Maybe I need a larer deck plan?

Advice?

I think that HAL is finally getting the message. If I am correct the photos of bathrooms in standard cabins on the Koningsdam appear to have nice stall showers but no tubs. The situation you mentioned was exactly what happened to my elderly mom on the Celebrity Infinity. The Celebrity Suite just had a shower in the tub with a high step over. She was not able to negotiate the step. It would have been very dangerous when she tried to get out of the tub while wet. Luckily th e ship had a small cabin with just a stall shower that was empty and that is where both my mom and dad showered.

By the way, I think the showers on the Kdam have received mostly favorable reviews but there will always be a few unhappy cruisers who do not like the change.

I am sailing soon on the new Viking Ocean Sky and all the standard cabins have just a large stall shower. And this is a ship that is designed mainly for seniors.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

The bathrooms on the ms Koningsdam, whether Outside or Inside are Shower only, there are suites that might have a bathtub and the shower.

There are outside cabins on the Vista Class and the Signature Class, Forward and Aft, Main Deck, that are Shower Only.

BTW...I responded to your Original Post as well.

The bathrooms on the ms Koningsdam, whether Outside or Inside are Shower only, there are suites that might have a bathtub and the shower.

There are outside cabins on the Vista Class and the Signature Class, Forward and Aft, Main Deck, that are Shower Only.

BTW...I responded to your Original Post as well.

The OP is looking at a cruise on the Zaandam, which is a very different ship from the Koningsdam. I think the Zaandam is an R class, which is different from a Vista or Signature class.

Actually it could be difficult to find a Shower Only outside stateroom, If You don't actually look.

They are there, no matter what class ship you are planning to sail on.

And then, You can consult with a Holland America Line Personal Cruise Consultant, they are very helpful and willing to help a future cruiser. BTW, there are Deck Plans always available to the independent traveller.

If you can't step in, Sit on the side of the tub...spin 1/2 around...stand up. Repeat to get out. Not a big deal!

Yes, the above is possible for getting into the tub, but seems more than a bit dicey for getting out when one is wet. But thanks for the

suggestion.

Thanks for the info about the other HAL ships, but the Zaandam is the only ship of interest to me since it is the only one doing the 14-day cruise to Alaska next summer.

And, yes, I have looked at the deck plans of the Z & even done a mock booking. After seeing the price for a solo booking, the lack of a 'shower only' cabin is moot -- $4500+ for an OV! Not likely!

Suggestion to add to the suggestion about sitting on the tub side and turning 180 degrees to get into/out of the tip and the slippery comment. On the cruise just before my knee replacement surgery I simply put a hand towel on the side of the tub and sat on that to make the 180 degree turn. Easy-peasy.

I always use a shower at home so like one on a ship as well, much easier to get my "old" body clean without climbing into and out of the tub water. However, most of my friends prefer a tub to soak in be it at home or onboard a ship.

I like having a tub..makes the bathroom large! If you can't step in, Sit on the side of the tub...spin 1/2 around...stand up. Repeat to get out. Not a big deal!

It is a very big deal to my husband who is elderly ( but don't tell him that) and simply cannot do as you suggest without a great deal of assistance. That is the main reason we sail mostly on the Vista and Signature class ships which offer SS suites with a free standing shower in addition to the tub.

If the cruise we want to take is only available on one of the smaller ships we just have to muddle through with the tub with a shower bench placed in it. It is a big struggle for me to help him and really not the safest thing in the world for him. I usually end up looking like a drowned rat.

I am certain that I am not the only person who takes issue with your statement that it is not a big deal. It is a very big deal to us. I do hope it never becomes a big deal for you.

I like having a tub..makes the bathroom large! If you can't step in, Sit on the side of the tub...spin 1/2 around...stand up. Repeat to get out. Not a big deal!
Unfortunately, it is a very big deal for people with mobility issues. Not everyone is capable of the "sit and spin" maneuver.

Unfortunately, it is a very big deal for people with mobility issues. Not everyone is capable of the "sit and spin" maneuver.

Sit and Spin---- sounds like a class that would be offered at the gym. :D Maybe that's a class seniors should consider before contemplating a Holland America cruise.

I don't think anyone is talking about removing the tub to reduce the size of the bathroom. Take out the tub and make the shower larger.

JOHO, but get rid of the tubs.

I agree and I'm by myself, with no aid if I get in trouble.

Shower is the way to go these days.

There is one simple solution if that is the only ship with that itinerary...Book an inside cabin. I've yet to find a tub in an inside cabin. EM

Agree 100%. HAL ships are very well endowed with public places to view on all sides of the ship.

Unfortunately, while people in an outside cabin have the option of a spa for a shower, there's no such option for a tub.

I didn't mind a bit not having a window on my Zaandam cruise but found 32 days without a tub bordering on a hardship.

Roy

I don't think anyone is talking about removing the tub to reduce the size of the bathroom. Take out the tub and make the shower larger.

JOHO, but get rid of the tubs.

I think those tubs (applies to RCCL) as well are way too deep. Very difficult to get into. The "sit and spin" option above does not work for me either. You still have to get both legs up and over the edge of the tub before you can stand up. Give me a nice "walk-in" shower. Really, how big does a bathroom need to be? ;p

There is one simple solution if that is the only ship with that itinerary...Book an inside cabin. I've yet to find a tub in an inside cabin. EM

We would really rather stay home than book an inside cabin. We take long cruises and really enjoy our balcony. We also need more storage space because of the longer itinerary.