Dog on ship

I like your principles and it is good your boss backs you.

I like dogs but when i am dressed i don't like dogs jumping up on me with their front paws, something a service animal would never do.

I can tell you my boss was not totally happy......I avoid taking care of some customers, who I know I will have to speak up to when they put their dogs where I believe they should not be. He wishes I would take a different approach, but I won't and he knows it. The customers know it as well....so they wait to be taken care of by someone else, usually. I had a woman say to me "I know you don't like me to put my dog on your counter, but ......' before she could finish her sentence I said "Then DON'T" she put the dog on the floor -- he whined like a baby for the few minutes I had to talk with her and then she left.

Documentation is not required under the ADA because that puts an undue burden on the disabled. Documentation can be very expensive and otherwise difficult to get, ..

I have heard this several times and I must admit I find it almost impossible to believe.

Aren't most, if not all, true service animals trained and provided by organizations and normally at no cost to the individual? I know that was true of the 5 people I have known over the course of my life that had service animals. When the animal is trained, it would cost maybe a couple of dollars to print a certification page and have it signed by both the trainer and someone from the organization. Then that document is handed to the recipient when they receive the animal.

What am I missing? Not trying to be a smarta##...it's an honest question.

I have heard this several times and I must admit I find it almost impossible to believe.

Aren't most, if not all, true service animals trained and provided by organizations and normally at no cost to the individual? I know that was true of the 5 people I have known over the course of my life that had service animals. When the animal is trained, it would cost maybe a couple of dollars to print a certification page and have it signed by both the trainer and someone from the organization. Then that document is handed to the recipient when they receive the animal.

But there's no overseeing authority, which is why people can print them off the internet. Until there's a single licensing organization documentation means nothing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I understand that service dogs are necessary for some people.

Fortunately I have no allergies to cats or dogs but I certainly would not wish to travel in a 'pet scented' cabin.

I am sure that deep cleaning a cabin after an animal has spent time there makes extra work for the cabin steward so would advocate special 'pet friendly' cabins; where the steward might have less cabins to service, to allow for this deep cleaning.

Unfortunately, there is no national standard documentation such as a passport. Since the travel person can not possibly be an expert on all forms of doctor permission slips and be able to spot forgeries, we need one standard form of identification. A service animal passport of sorts.

I completely agree. I am an animal lover but, I have a son with allergies to most dogs. On a memorable flight when he was younger, there were 2 dogs in the seats in front of us, who honestly (of course, I do not know for sure) appeared to be accessories rather than true service animals. When I asked if our seat could be moved I was promptly told 'nope' as plane was full and the two young ladies with the dogs seemed to find our plight amusing (allowing the dogs to 'oops' jump down and run about the seats several times during flight) by the time we arrived at our destination my son had watery red swollen eyes, was stuffed up and thoroughly itchy with hives. The girls seemed all too happy to giggle and wave goodbye, as if causing someone else discomfort had pleased them in some way. It's unfortunate that some people do this, because it will eventually ruin it for those who truly are in need of comfort or support for serious reasons.

I believe it costs thousands to train a certified service dog. I actually have a colleague at work who has to pay for part of the training and has to travel to another state and work with the dog for two weeks. So it's time off, paying for a hotel, and paying for part of the training. She didn't say how much so it may or may not have been a lot of money. She has cerebral palsy. I believe the first dog she got was free, but the second dog they asked her to pay for part of it.

As for a friend who has a hearing service dog, she had to pay for all of her training. I'm not sure how often it comes at no cost to the owner.

You are right in that nowadays you can print off a "fake" certificate, buy a fake service vest and dog tag, and call the animal a service dog.

I think many of us can spot a fake nowadays. It's really sad because it's really the good service dogs that take a bad rap nowadays.

I completely agree. I am an animal lover but, I have a son with allergies to most dogs. On a memorable flight when he was younger, there were 2 dogs in the seats in front of us, who honestly (of course, I do not know for sure) appeared to be accessories rather than true service animals. When I asked if our seat could be moved I was promptly told 'nope' as plane was full and the two young ladies with the dogs seemed to find our plight amusing (allowing the dogs to 'oops' jump down and run about the seats several times during flight) by the time we arrived at our destination my son had watery red swollen eyes, was stuffed up and thoroughly itchy with hives. The girls seemed all too happy to giggle and wave goodbye, as if causing someone else discomfort had pleased them in some way. It's unfortunate that some people do this, because it will eventually ruin it for those who truly are in need of comfort or support for serious reasons.

Anyone can pay a fee and take their small animal (must be in a carrier that fits under the seat and you are not permitted to remove the animal from the carrier during the flight) onto the plane with them. This animal is not required to be a service animal.

You must have been mad and their behaviour must have made it even worse.

It is a shame the flight attendants couldn't have moved you and your son when they were told of his allergy and if the plane was full maybe ask if someone would mind swapping seats or at least ask the girls to be more responsible with their dogs.

Time to change this law ...
There is no way to change the law without it being a violation of the civil rights of those who have a need for actual service animals. To avoid that the change would have to say that only those who don't have a real need must show proof and that would be absurd.

Documentation is not required under the ADA because that puts an undue burden on the disabled. Documentation can be very expensive and otherwise difficult to get, and Congress can't require doctors to write notes free of charge.

Public spaces accepting emotional support animals when they are not required to do so by law is the real issue. It's rare someone claims they have a service animal instead, and have fake answers to the legal questions at the ready, because they don't have to.

Here's the thing.....when out to sea, there are no laws the preclude any cruise line from disallowing any pet to be on board. Nothing in international waters says a cruise line has to abide by anything allowing dogs, cats, parakeets, etc on board.

We have our problems in the UK but politicians generally are pretty good at listening to complaints.

Politicians everywhere are generally very good about listening to complaints. Politicians that actually do anything about them is another matter altogether. ;)

The statement that I have highlighted in red of yours, I would need more proof from agencies that do the training as to whether it is accurate. To me, a true service dog who can aide their master with a health issue, is NEVER not performing their job of vigilance -- or the life of their master would be at risk at that time. They are always a dog, and they are always "at work" they are never 'off the clock' so to speak.

My work speciality area is disability focused. I have worked with people who have service animals. The difference between a dog on duty and that same dog who has been "released" can be incredible. I know one guide dog that as soon as her harness was removed turned into the world's most playful puppy, but with the harness she was intently focused on her master and her job.

As for proof from agencies, that is against the ADA. Some people train their own service dogs or pay a private trainer to train. This way they are covered by the law.

People traveling to other countries with service dogs still have to meet the requirements of each country. They have to get USDA forms completed. It's not an easy process and many will choose not to travel with their service dogs. Heat is a difficult on the dogs, as is hot pavement. If you are curious, there is a great thread on the Disabilities Board titled something to the effect of Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Cruising With a Service Dog.

Politicians everywhere are generally very good about listening to complaints. Politicians that actually do anything about them is another matter altogether. ;)

Yes very true, promise one thing then do the opposite when in power.

Here's the thing.....when out to sea, there are no laws the preclude any cruise line from disallowing any pet to be on board. Nothing in international waters says a cruise line has to abide by anything allowing dogs, cats, parakeets, etc on board.
However, there are laws that preclude selling public accommodations to the American public that do not comply with American law. So yes, while at sea the ship can do whatever it wishes in that regard, but when that ship, or any ship owned by the line or its corporate parent, docks at any American port; or when that cruise line tries to sell passage on any of their cruise ships to any American, and tries to sell that passage through agents or the cruise line's own operators located in the United States, they're subject to US law and their assets are subject to sanction for violations of US law just like the US assets of any company selling anything to the American public.

OK...that's it. I am taking my service alligator on board. He will be sure there is no chair hogging, no

over crowding of the elevator, and no push/shoving around me at the buffet in the WJ.

A visit to a store that allows employees to snap at customers might be another place to visit too

Here is a link from the government that is an FAQ on Service Animals and the ADA. It answers most of the questions in this thread. I recommend people to go to the source when in doubt. https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

To be clear, there is no such thing as documentation, certification, licensing, or anything of the sort for service animals. You don't need professional training, you can train it yourself. You can declare your dog helps you with hearing, whatever. The law is incredibly easy to abuse and that's why there is so much abuse. I guess it's a good thing that so many still think you need to print a certificate off the internet... it makes it easier to spot the frauds showing up with their "service dog certification"...

Only stupid people have "emotional support dogs." And what I mean by that is that they are fake service dogs and the owners are too stupid to realize you don't need to actually call it an emotional support dog. You can declare the dog helps you with an actual service and get ADA protections. I've had customers come in a couple of times to my restaurant with their emotional support dog vest on the dog, and I promptly ask them to take the dog outside. But if they say the dog is an actual service dog - nothing you can do.

This is the best resource to learn more about it, directly from the ADA - they answer all your questions you could think of.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Mention-mom,

At this time the seats that are the first row of coach (the bulkhead seats) on a plane is now designated for people traveling with animals. They are allowed to take them out of carries if the animal will lay down and stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mention-mom,

At this time the seats that are the first row of coach (the bulkhead seats) on a plane is now designated for people traveling with animals. They are allowed to take them out of carries if the animal will lay down and stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I flew 6 months ago with 6 emotional support dogs, none were in carriers and none sat in those front rows.