Do You Alternate Your Walking Shoes (for port intensive cruises)?

Lois R

I didn't know that is what they do.......I know originally they were a family owned company....don't lots of brands make the same style of shoes?

they come out with the clones pretty darn quick. The Bobs ones are particularly irksome. They even took the "buy a pair give a pair" thing from Toms. there are knock-offs, but Sketchers, to me, seem to want to take the idea as their own.

they come out with the clones pretty darn quick. The Bobs ones are particularly irksome. They even took the "buy a pair give a pair" thing from Toms. there are knock-offs, but Sketchers, to me, seem to want to take the idea as their own.

Good morning, I guess it doesn't bother me as much as it does you and that is ok too. We all have choices. Since you

don't like them, no need for you to buy their products.

There are plenty of brands I don't like either......but if I go into them on here, well, it is not the right forum for that........

Hi Lois! I have enjoyed all your posts over the years, and they helped me make purchases for a world cruise I took earlier this year. For walking shoes, I bought 2 pairs of closed toe Sketchers with Memory Foam, one black, one beige. I think I bought both pair at DSW. They were the most comfortable walking shoes I have ever worn, and they are still going strong! I also took 2 pair of Vionic sandals, and they worked well too. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Lois! I have enjoyed all your posts over the years, and they helped me make purchases for a world cruise I took earlier this year. For walking shoes, I bought 2 pairs of closed toe Sketchers with Memory Foam, one black, one beige. I think I bought both pair at DSW. They were the most comfortable walking shoes I have ever worn, and they are still going strong! I also took 2 pair of Vionic sandals, and they worked well too. Enjoy your cruise!

Lois, sounds like your Sketchers will work great for you then - here's your review!

Hi, thank your for the kind words and whatever help I gave you.:)....I appreciate it.

Hi Lois,

I definitely switch up my shoes on port days... I don't really do a dedicated alternate, but I'll bring at least two, sometimes three that are good for walking & are ok for at night on the ship, & try to rotate.

I have to confess to wearing socks with my sandals (birkenstocks) if I feel like my feet need it. :)

I can recommend the band aid blister block adhesive pads, they stay on for days, even with sweating & multiple showers..... I walk at home too, but rarely for 6+ hours a day, so I like to be prepared. Another thing that works for my is a little secret deodorant (the solid, powder scent type) in between toes or any where I think might chafe, or it you get a "hot spot" a little vaseline works if you're wearing socks.

Have a great trip! Barcelona is one of my favorite cities :)

We travel carry-on only, with a dedicated walking shoe and a more relaxed shoe (that could fill in for walking). My current lace-up walkers are Adidas cross-trainers that have a GoreTex layer for wet weather... However when I twisted my foot as I stepped off an unseen 3" ledge and suffered a mid-foot injury (this was on a land-bus tour, but could have happened anywhere), I was very glad my OTHER shoes were SAS Roamers, and just happen to be ones I bought WW although I'm normally a W there! My walking was as limited as I could make it without being left behind (!), but those SAS did get a workout (and were not rotated, couldn't fit in the others).

If I can fit in a pair of flat sandals, and choose to, they are just for quick trips around the ship. FWIW we wear the more comfortable shoes and pack the walking shoes, the better to slip them off on flights.

Hi again:).......well, I bought my first pair of Skecher's.......they are a walking shoe, lightweight, VERY CUSHIONY:D

and the minute I put them on, well......it was a moment:)...one of those..........AHHHHH moments. I thought Sckecher's

might not have a lot of support but these feel FABULOUS:D

Hi Lois,

Wondering if you could share the model/name of the skechers you purchased?

I too have a few of the foam memory type runners (Saucony) and they feel super great and comfy when I put them on, however after an hour or two or walking around in them my feet are hurting and they feel as if they do not provide much support - let me know if you have 'tested' yours out yet LOL - and how you feel after a few hours of pounding the pavement in them? thx :)

Hi Lois,

I too have a few of the foam memory type runners (Saucony) and they feel super great and comfy when I put them on, however after an hour or two or walking around in them my feet are hurting and they feel as if they do not provide much support - let me know if you have 'tested' yours out yet LOL - and how you feel after a few hours of pounding the pavement in them? thx :)

Hi, :)I have walked 2 days in a row......they are comfortable but I really LOVE my Vionics and I think I am so used to

wearing them anything else feels different.......I know you wanted an honest answer. I will be getting another pair of

Vionic's and will just keep the Sketcher's for "whatever".......;)

The Vionic's have WONDERFUL arch support /custom orthodics in their shoes.......I have a pair a wear already

for walking and will just get another one:D..........

Hope this helps.

Hi Lois,

Running shoes are one of those things that require a lot of investigation. Take a look at some of the running-specific websites and you'll see all the various ways they are grouped - pronation, supination, neutral, high arch, low arch.... Just like with other shoes, some fit, some don't. I can't do Nike at all. I can do some Solomon, but not all. I use my own insoles in all the shoes. An idea for you before you relegate those Sauconys do the "once in awhile" status: go and get a pair of Superfeet insoles for them. They are decent non-custom insoles. Take out the ones that come in the shoes. Try them again. See if that helps.

Oh, I also use Glide, an anti-friction stick, on spots that rub. I also use kinesiology tape around my two smallest toes, and under the ball of my foot, two spots that always get blisters for me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Running shoes are one of those things that require a lot of investigation. Take a look at some of the running-specific websites and you'll see all the various ways they are grouped - pronation, supination, neutral, high arch, low arch.... Just like with other shoes, some fit, some don't. I can't do Nike at all. I can do some Solomon, but not all. I use my own insoles in all the shoes. An idea for you before you relegate those Sauconys do the "once in awhile" status: go and get a pair of Superfeet insoles for them. They are decent non-custom insoles. Take out the ones that come in the shoes. Try them again. See if that helps.

Thanks for the info - I actually LOVE Saucony runners and they are the only brand that fit me well! I have a pair of 'real' running shoes by Saucony which I use for walking/sports - but recently found a few pairs with the memory foam type bed and thought they would be great as well - just for everyday walking - but alas I was wrong!

The support provided is not enough for me - while comfy and cushy inside after an hour or so my feet hurt, my knees hurt and I am not a happy camper! So the two pairs of the 'cushiony' type are now relegated to very casual/non major walking events ....while I have my 'real' Saucony runners when required.

Already researching another pair of runners and will be trying on a few to see if I can find a replacement pair (yes they always seem to discontinue the styles which are my favorites! )

Anyone wear Dansko? Not the clogs.......but they have athletic styles too......I think they are supposed to be quite

supportive........we have "The Walking Store" near me........I am going there today:)........will let you know what

I find out.....I know I said I was going to get another pair of Vionic's but I will be looking at a couple of options today;)

Anyone wear Dansko? Not the clogs.......but they have athletic styles too......I think they are supposed to be quite

supportive........we have "The Walking Store" near me........I am going there today:)........will let you know what

I find out.....I know I said I was going to get another pair of Vionic's but I will be looking at a couple of options today;)

Lois, if you are going to the Walking Store, have a look at their ABEO line. These are the walking shoes that work best for my feet. They are very supportive (although I trade out the standard insole for a Powerfeet insole) and have arch support -- but not as aggressive as some Vionics.

I can wear some of the Vionics shoes but the sandals and flip-flops with the harder soles kill my feet.

Anyway, just another option to consider....

Lois, if you are going to the Walking Store, have a look at their ABEO line. These are the walking shoes that work best for my feet. They are very supportive (although I trade out the standard insole for a Powerfeet insole) and have arch support -- but not as aggressive as some Vionics.

I can wear some of the Vionics shoes but the sandals and flip-flops with the harder soles kill my feet.

Oh...I will take your suggestion for sure:)...thanks! ,,,,,I have to tell you, I did a search on here and found threads

from 10 years ago on this same topic........I guess I could have brought one of them back to life........LOL but this

is fine:)....shoe questions are always popular:)

I will look at ABEO, thanks!

My favorite walking sandals are dansko - I've had them for years and they never let me down! I "fall off" clogs so don't wear those (but my mother, the nurse, introduced me to the brand ages ago). I have a couple pairs of dressier dansko for work, too, but none of their "athletic" options. It is a brand that works nicely for me much of the time, and they last a long long time :-)

Thanks for the info - I actually LOVE Saucony runners and they are the only brand that fit me well! I have a pair of 'real' running shoes by Saucony which I use for walking/sports - but recently found a few pairs with the memory foam type bed and thought they would be great as well - just for everyday walking - but alas I was wrong!

The support provided is not enough for me - while comfy and cushy inside after an hour or so my feet hurt, my knees hurt and I am not a happy camper! So the two pairs of the 'cushiony' type are now relegated to very casual/non major walking events ....while I have my 'real' Saucony runners when required.

Already researching another pair of runners and will be trying on a few to see if I can find a replacement pair (yes they always seem to discontinue the styles which are my favorites! )

I never look at anything with "memory foam" for anything but very casual use - seems to not be built for actual athletic use! For another pair of runners - I was pissed because Solomon discontinued my beloved Synapse trail shoe. But, I've heard excellent things and reviews about Hoka, so I'm going to look at those very soon - my last pair of Synapse will be used up in the next month or two :(

Danskos - I wear the Pros for work. And, I DO fall off of them once in awhile!!!

Hi Cynthia......well, I was out all day and was at the Walking Store for 2 hours.......the Manager was awesome and

she had A LOT of patience with me:D........I think I tried on at least 6/8 different pairs of shoes/sandals.

And we do have a winner:D...well, 2 actually.........first, they had a pair of NAOT's on clearance......my first pair

and I love them........they are called KAYLA. I didn't really buy them for "walking shoes" although they feel quite

supportive and comfy. They were 80.00 which is very good for Naot's.........Here in Florida, I can always use

them.

For the actual walking shoes I bought a pair of ABEO's:D, they had my size but not the color I wanted so I tried them

on for a good while and they are going to ship me the one's I want......they only had white and I want black.

You are correct, the orthodic inside this shoe feels AMAZING......and they have a program on their computer for your

feet......you walk on a mat and it tells you if you have a high arch or not.........(I DO)........they have tons of choices

and all are supposed to be very good for your feet.

I want to thank you again for recommending the ABEO'S. I think these will be MUCH better than the Sketcher's.

Hi Lois,

Hi, I forgot to give you the name of the Skecher's......the box says "GOOD LUCK".....with the words "Breathe Easy"

next to that........they are a black lace up and printed on the heel (inside) it says "Relaxed Fit Memory Foam".

If you look at my previous post, you will see I found something else that is much more supportive at the Walking Store.

Not sure if I am keeping these Skecher's or returning them to DSW and maybe just get a sandal for around the house.

Hi Cynthia......well, I was out all day and was at the Walking Store for 2 hours.......the Manager was awesome and

she had A LOT of patience with me:D........I think I tried on at least 6/8 different pairs of shoes/sandals.

And we do have a winner:D...well, 2 actually.........first, they had a pair of NAOT's on clearance......my first pair

and I love them........they are called KAYLA. I didn't really buy them for "walking shoes" although they feel quite

supportive and comfy. They were 80.00 which is very good for Naot's.........Here in Florida, I can always use

them.

For the actual walking shoes I bought a pair of ABEO's:D, they had my size but not the color I wanted so I tried them

on for a good while and they are going to ship me the one's I want......they only had white and I want black.

You are correct, the orthodic inside this shoe feels AMAZING......and they have a program on their computer for your

feet......you walk on a mat and it tells you if you have a high arch or not.........(I DO)........they have tons of choices

and all are supposed to be very good for your feet.

I want to thank you again for recommending the ABEO'S. I think these will be MUCH better than the Sketcher's.

You're welcome Lois -- I know everyone's feet are different, but I do think they take the time to try to get you the right shoe at that store.... :)

I had my first pair for about 3.5 years and they still looked good but I had worn down the outside of the heel area -- so I got another pair, exactly the same. ;) They are the best shoes I've had.

You're welcome Lois -- I know everyone's feet are different, but I do think they take the time to try to get you the right shoe at that store.... :)

I had my first pair for about 3.5 years and they still looked good but I had worn down the outside of the heel area -- so I got another pair, exactly the same. ;) They are the best shoes I've had.

The one's they are shipping to me look like a walker....lace up, not too bulky but you can tell they are an athletic shoe.

Oh, I read over on the Spain forum about your Euro suggestion and what to carry around Barcelona (or not carry).

So you would not recommend even a cross body bag?

I never look at anything with "memory foam" for anything but very casual use - seems to not be built for actual athletic use! For another pair of runners - I was pissed because Solomon discontinued my beloved Synapse trail shoe. But, I've heard excellent things and reviews about Hoka, so I'm going to look at those very soon - my last pair of Synapse will be used up in the next month or two :(

Danskos - I wear the Pros for work. And, I DO fall off of them once in awhile!!!

I wear Hokas for trail shoes, very light, tons of support & very, very comfortable. You do have to get used to the height of the sole. I find myself really lifting my foot (which is a good idea!). I bought my first pair at Sierra at an excellent price. I wear the Challenger ATR

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The one's they are shipping to me look like a walker....lace up, not too bulky but you can tell they are an athletic shoe.

Oh, I read over on the Spain forum about your Euro suggestion and what to carry around Barcelona (or not carry).

So you would not recommend even a cross body bag?

I do take a bag, but in places where there is a risk of pickpockets, I put my money and a credit card in something like this, which I then put into an inside pocket in my purse and either pin it to the lining or use a big safety pin to pin the zipper to the lining: http://www.campsaver.com/eagle-creek-undercover-hidden-pocket

(In a few situations where I don't want to carry a bag, it can also be pinned to the inside of your pants/capris/skirt etc.

I like carrying my own bag, not a big fan of PacSafe -- so this works for me.