Missed Final Payment---New at this--What Happens now???

Same for us. We usually pay in full 2-3 weeks before sailing date. Wonder if RCCL would send an email if we waited longer.

I don't think so. We had a close call ourselves last month. We paid on the 22nd and the last day was the 23rd! We did not receive any communication from RCCL. We don't believe it's their responsibility. I do understand and feel bad for anyone who forgets.

The OP confessed to receiving phone and email reminders from the TA. Happily, the issue was resolved!

Ah yes...just read the thread. Glad it was resolved, but to me, as it no doubt is to most of us, missing such an important payment is kind of inconceivable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As a former TA, IT SURE IS!!!

The TA's phone won't call out? No Way!

Could care less if your a travel agent or not.People in this world need to learn to take responsibility..Everyone loves to play the blame game.Pass the buck,not my fault.

This whole thread everyone was looking to blame the travel agent.3pages of its the travel agents fault.Then it comes to light she did get 2 notifications and everyone is delighted for the op.Unreal world.

Mortgage is due every month and I dont get a reminder.But it still gets paid because Im an adult and take responsibility.

This whole thread everyone was looking to blame the travel agent.3pages of its the travel agents fault.Then it comes to light she did get 2 notifications and everyone is delighted for the op.Unreal world.

Mortgage is due every month and I dont get a reminder.But it still gets paid because Im an adult and take responsibility.

Of course you're right. I don't think any of us could fathom anyone being irresponsible enough to blow off their TA's repeated calls and emails, especially for a pricey vacation on which a down payment has already been made. That said, my TA does have my credit card info on file, which allows her to just go ahead and pay what needs to be payed. But, at least for me, I know those due dates better than she does.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Could care less if your a travel agent or not.People in this world need to learn to take responsibility..Everyone loves to play the blame game.Pass the buck,not my fault.

I don't care that you don't care if I was a TA. What I wrote was accurate. If the TA didn't contact the client for final payment, they would be at fault. When I wrote that, it was assumed by many that was the case.

I'm glad you got a good resolution. We all make mistakes.

Last night I booked flights for my niece and her partner to come to our daughter's 21st birthday using my frequent flyer points. Unfortunately, I spelt the partner's name incorrectly (Stephen instead of Steven). I realised this morning and rang the airline and because I have status they allowed the change without additional fees (usually they allow the change until midnight of the day of booking free of charge). That is good service for loyal customers.

Your post reminded me that I hadn't seen a receipt from my TA for my final payment for our next cruise. I sent an email and immediately received a response saying the system had marked the receipt as sent and all was good. Good customer service again.

I can understand RCI being pretty strict with this issue particularly with the practice of people who book many cruises and then opt out before final payment. Your problem and its resolution actually increases my perception that RCI will accommodate reasonable circumstances. :)

I'm glad you got a good resolution. We all make mistakes.

Last night I booked flights for my niece and her partner to come to our daughter's 21st birthday using my frequent flyer points. Unfortunately, I spelt the partner's name incorrectly (Stephen instead of Steven). I realised this morning and rang the airline and because I have status they allowed the change without additional fees (usually they allow the change until midnight of the day of booking free of charge). That is good service for loyal customers.

Your post reminded me that I hadn't seen a receipt from my TA for my final payment for our next cruise. I sent an email and immediately received a response saying the system had marked the receipt as sent and all was good. Good customer service again.

I can understand RCI being pretty strict with this issue particularly with the practice of people who book many cruises and then opt out before final payment. Your problem and its resolution actually increases my perception that RCI will accommodate reasonable circumstances. :)

I thought it was within 24 hours of making the booking?

Ship happens! I must have been drunk booking one night and booked flights to FLL instead of MCO. I didn't realize it until two weeks before our cruise out of Port Canaveral. No change fees on Southwest but by then flights had gone up. Not an expensive lesson but a lesson no doubt.

OP, you have a great TA. This is the reason why we have TAs, you may not have been able to pressure Royal Caribbean to give you that break on your own, but a competent good TA will.

Though I am surprised the TA did not leave a message. Or did the OP just delete the message without listening to it? If the first, I'd be addressing the not leaving a message with the TA (or perhaps that is why they pushed so hard to get it reinstated - they realized they screwed up by not leaving a message). If the latter, well...I get not answering a number you don't recognize, I don't answer those either. But it never hurts to listen to the message - you can always delete and ignore it. Listening to it doesn't signify anything to the caller as they have no way of knowing if you did or not.

As terrible as I feel for the OP, I don't feel this is the TA's fault at all.

Should the TA have provided reminders? Yes...a good TA would do that. Even my PCC at HAL gives me a call 1-2 weeks before final payment to double-check with me on the timing of my payment and verifies the card to be used.

But it's not the TA's RESPONSIBILITY to remember when final payment is due. It's your vacation, the consumer should take some responsibility for making sure it happens.

Now, that being said, I would hope that IF the TA dropped the ball in not making those reminders, he/she will work as hard as possible to get the cruise back at the original rate.

My in-laws went through this years ago with an RCL cruise....a partial Panama on Brilliance. They were so excited, and about two weeks before contacted their TA because they were still waiting for their flight information to FL for embarkation. Imagine their surprise when the TA said their cruise had been cancelled because they didn't make final payment. They thought the TA was just going to use the credit card they provided for their deposit a year earlier, the TA was waiting for them to call and authorize payment. Total miscommunication and misunderstanding.

They were offered the chance to get on the cruise but again, at prevailing rates. They passed, and just re-booked for the following year at the same time. They accepted that it was partly their fault for not following up.

I hope they didn't use the same TA. TA's are paid by the cruise line because they're supposed to do some of the work for the line.

For all those coming in this thread late and can't be bothered to read all of it - the TA called and e-mailed the OP about the final payment, which the OP ignored.

Threads like this should be locked. If it isn't the thread is going to reappear every few months when another clueless reader who can't be bothered to read it all resurrects it.

Nope, that is fake news. TA's get a commission on the fare of any bookings they sell.

Goods in kind, low cost holidays, override (hidden) commission in countries where this is legal (almost everywhere), and the list goes on. Plus the TA earns commission on the sale. The original comment was accurate although you might argue incomplete too. Those are all first-order sources of income for the TA.