Wearing dress shorts in MDR on Adventure of the Seas

That's a great answer for a politician.

Would you support women being treated equal as men in this case?

Oddly enough, I was looking at a thread of cruise compasses posted from Oasis last week and while it does note formal or casual, nowhere in any of those compasses does it provide any guideline or prohibitive items. Just says formal or casual and nothing else; only lists these in regards to complimentary dining and does not separate out windjammer either. Nothing in a single document stating anything about requirements, rules, forbidden, approved, guidelines, or examples. Just suggested attire, formal or casual.

Thank you.

We always support equality in England.

I don't think i would like to see women in long trousers.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Thank you.

We always support equality in England.

I don't think i would like to see women in long trousers.

We never concern ourselves about shorts because i wear designer shorts and polo shirts all the time except after 6 pm unless we are on holiday in Orlando.

I don't think men should wear a dress but it would give us a good laugh.

I think most men Maitre d would happily allow shorts on women but only allow men because they don't want trouble.

I couldn't tell you what anyone has worn at surrounding tables near me on any cruise. I can't imagine why anyone cares. I used pay close attention to the "suggested attire" for each evening and had to check a bag with the airline to accommodate it all. The airlines have ruined my bags, lost my bags and made air travel a less than pleasant experience. Today I normally travel with a carryon only. This means no room for formal anything. I suspect this is a similar case for most people. I spend much more time actually enjoying my vacation planning and my cruise experience. I am unconcerned if the table next to us approves of my sundress or my husbands shorts, just as I am unconcerned with what they are wearing.

I couldn't tell you what anyone has worn at surrounding tables near me on any cruise. I can't imagine why anyone cares. I used pay close attention to the "suggested attire" for each evening and had to check a bag with the airline to accommodate it all. The airlines have ruined my bags, lost my bags and made air travel a less than pleasant experience. Today I normally travel with a carryon only. This means no room for formal anything. I suspect this is a similar case for most people. I spend much more time actually enjoying my vacation planning and my cruise experience. I am unconcerned if the table next to us approves of my sundress or my husbands shorts, just as I am unconcerned with what they are wearing.

These boards need a "Like" button :D

Make it easier for you to understand Bonnie - If a guy wears shorts, flip flops, t shirts, tank tops,, in the main dining room their a slob. Calling them "dress" or "fancy" does not make them less of a slob.

Maybe I am taking this wrong, but it is a bit insulting. Next time spell they're correctly. ;)

Things change. People change. Rules change.

Do you still wear your Sunday best to fly?

The world has progressed. Celebrity, a more upscale line has done away with formal nights all together.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have yet to cruise on RCCL but considering it in the near future. :)

If I read correctly, another poster here copied and pasted the current RCCL dress code for dining in the MDR at night.

So, are you saying, RCCL dress codes rules for dining in the MDR in the evening can be ignored? Or made to be broken? And you have, and are allowed to wear shorts in the MDR at dinner? The Maitre D has never said anything to you about you wearing shorts at dinner in the MDR?:confused::confused:

I have yet to cruise on RCCL but considering it in the near future. :)

If I read correctly, another poster here copied and pasted the current RCCL dress code for dining in the MDR at night.

So, are you saying, RCCL dress codes rules for dining in the MDR in the evening can be ignored? Or made to be broken? And you have, and are allowed to wear shorts in the MDR at dinner? The Maitre D has never said anything to you? :confused::confused:

Current cruise compasses provide no guidelines and the website is a big joke here, riddled with inaccuracies and inconsistency. After you take your initial RCI cruise let us know your experiences.

I have dress shorts that are far nicer than many people's slacks.

It isn't about laziness. It is about comfort.

What happened to "rules"? Most people complain about society in general today. What do we expect from our youth when we are setting these type of examples??? Choose what rules you want to disobey because they obviously are for someone else not you!

I thought about this thread as I was sitting at a stoplight this morning. In the median there was a good bit of trash that folks had discarded. It made me wonder if those of you that insist the "shorts not permitted" language isn't for you and shouldn't concern others that you choose to ignore it....Do y'all drive past the "No littering! Fine up to $xxx" sign and proceed to throw your litter out onto the highway? I mean after all, you didn't throw it on anyone's personal real estate so why should anyone care?

What happened to "rules"? Most people complain about society in general today. What do we expect from our youth when we are setting these type of examples??? Choose what rules you want to disobey because they obviously are for someone else not you!

I thought about this thread as I was sitting at a stoplight this morning. In the median there was a good bit of trash that folks had discarded. It made me wonder if those of you that insist the "shorts not permitted" language isn't for you and shouldn't concern others that you choose to ignore it....Do y'all drive past the "No littering! Fine up to $xxx" sign and proceed to throw your litter out onto the highway? I mean after all, you didn't throw it on anyone's personal real estate so why should anyone care?

No, what a ridiculous question and assumption. Most likely the fake service dog people and emasculated men who sit in fire lanes while their wives nails get done

They aren't rules. Nowhere does it say that shorts are prohibited or long pants are required. All they say is "suggested attire".

If royal Caribbean actually cared about shorts in mdr they would prohibit them and enforce the rules.

Until they start to care, why should anyone else?

Oddly enough, I was looking at a thread of cruise compasses posted from Oasis last week and while it does note formal or casual, nowhere in any of those compasses does it provide any guideline or prohibitive items. Just says formal or casual and nothing else; only lists these in regards to complimentary dining and does not separate out windjammer either. Nothing in a single document stating anything about requirements, rules, forbidden, approved, guidelines, or examples. Just suggested attire, formal or casual.

Current cruise compasses provide no guidelines and the website is a big joke here, riddled with inaccuracies and inconsistency. After you take your initial RCI cruise let us know your experiences.

Again....the title of this thread specifically lists Adventure of the Seas. So you can't go by the cruise compass for Oasis. If someone can provide a more recent compass from ADventure that shows the language is no longer on the AD compass that would make this whole thread void! As of April, the AD cruise compass still listed the "not permitted" language.

Just off Adventure yesterday and on a non formal night, I saw a guy wearing a tank top and shorts (can't remember if they were dressy shorts though..) On the 2nd formal night a gentleman sitting a table next to us was wearing a tee shirt and long pants.

Do you have a compass from AD from any night last week? If so, please post a photo or PDF of it. If they have removed the "not permitted" language, that might help this thread out a lot!

I don't have my April AD compasses with me at the office. The latest ones I have on my computer are from 2014 and even back then they listed "Bare feet, shorts, and tank tops are not permitted in the dining room st dinner."

No, what a ridiculous question and assumption. Most likely the fake service dog people and emasculated men who sit in fire lanes while their wives nails get done

Also, if anyone decrying the wearing of shorts in the MDR because "rules are rules" has ever gone 61mph in a 60mph zone, kindly remove yourself from this thread.

Clearly, the cruise lines have moved to more casual standards. We have never cruised on RCI, but have done 9 on Celebrity and 6 on NCL.

Celebrity not too long ago relaxed its formal night (men's suit a minimum) to evening chic. Evening chic for men only involves wearing a blazer with nice shirt, no tie. NCL has a more relaxed policy, with no formal nights at all. Still, it has two MDRs and in the main MDR men must wear trousers and a shirt with a collar, similar to Celebrity's non-evening chic wear. In the second MDR, NCL does allow shorts, but asks for shirts with a collar.

At 69 years of age, I have seen a lot of change in what people wear when they go out for dinner. 50-60 years ago Men generally wore a coat and tie to go out to eat, even going to the Dairy Queen. The 60s changed that. Since then, standards have decline precipitously. Now, when DW and I go out to a nice restaurant, I always wear a nice shirt with a collar and usually trousers, except in the Summer, nice shorts. No T-shirts with out without holes.

I see many people wearing more casual wear like T-shirts, but that doesn't mean that I have do go grunge.

I like going to the very nice MDRs on cruise ships and not seeing grunge. Still, I tried the Tux on one cruise and it was nice, but just don't want to do that again.

We take mostly 14 day or longer cruises and find the most people dress just fine, no grunge. I think cruise lines should have clear policies and people can select the cruise line thet they prefer. Once you choose a cruise line, you should follow the standard set by the cruise line.

Clearly, the cruise lines have moved to more casual standards. We have never cruised on RCI, but have done 9 on Celebrity and 6 on NCL.

Celebrity not too long ago relaxed its formal night (men's suit a minimum) to evening chic. Evening chic for men only involves wearing a blazer with nice shirt, no tie. NCL has a more relaxed policy, with no formal nights at all. Still, it has two MDRs and in the main MDR men must wear trousers and a shirt with a collar, similar to Celebrity's non-evening chic wear. In the second MDR, NCL does allow shorts, but asks for shirts with a collar.

At 69 years of age, I have seen a lot of change in what people wear when they go out for dinner. 50-60 years ago Men generally wore a coat and tie to go out to eat, even going to the Dairy Queen. The 60s changed that. Since then, standards have decline precipitously. Now, when DW and I go out to a nice restaurant, I always wear a nice shirt with a collar and usually trousers, except in the Summer, nice shorts. No T-shirts with out without holes.

I see many people wearing more casual wear like T-shirts, but that doesn't mean that I have do go grunge.

I like going to the very nice MDRs on cruise ships and not seeing grunge. Still, I tried the Tux on one cruise and it was nice, but just don't want to do that again.

We take mostly 14 day or longer cruises and find the most people dress just fine, no grunge. I think cruise lines should have clear policies and people can select the cruise line thet they prefer. Once you choose a cruise line, you should follow the standard set by the cruise line.

Exactly. My point is that Royal Caribbean only suggests attire. They don't require it. That's not really much of a standard.

Exactly. My point is that Royal Caribbean only suggests attire. They don't require it. That's not really much of a standard.

"Tonight's dinner dress suggestion:Formal" is a suggestion for TYPE of attire.

Separate language further down the dining section of compass states:

"Bare feet, shorts and tank tops are not permitted in the dining room at dinner"

This language...."Not permitted"....does not sound like a "suggestion"....or "option".

My computer's thesaurus shows the following words to substitute for "permitted":

Allowable

Allowed

Acceptable

Tolerable

Legalized

Legitimate

Official

Indorsed

Permissible

Accepted

Approved

Tolerated

admissible

For some reason the thesaurus can't find any comparable words for "not". I guess it thinks we should all understand the meaning of "NOT".

"Tonight's dinner dress suggestion:Formal" is a suggestion for TYPE of attire.

Separate language further down the dining section of compass states:

"Bare feet, shorts and tank tops are not permitted in the dining room at dinner"

This language...."Not permitted"....does not sound like a "suggestion"....or "option".

My computer's thesaurus shows the following words to substitute for "permitted":

Allowable

Allowed

Acceptable

Tolerable

Legalized

Legitimate

Official

Indorsed

Permissible

Accepted

Approved

Tolerated

admissible

For some reason the thesaurus can't find any comparable words for "not". I guess it thinks we should all understand the meaning of "NOT".

Royal has every right to make a dress code.

Royal also has every right to either choose to enforce their dress code or not.

You keep arguing that the words on the page say "not permitted".

In the real world, if the maître d' allows shorts in the MDR, then shorts are permitted.

Royal has every right to make a dress code.

Royal also has every right to either choose to enforce their dress code or not.

You keep arguing that the words on the page say "not permitted".

In the real world, if the maître d' allows shorts in the MDR, then shorts are permitted.

I don't disagree that the MD does not enforce the matter. What I stated is there is a difference in the "suggested attire" language and the "not permitted" language.

As someone used the speeding example earlier....if I go flying by a state trooper doing 69 in a 55 and he doesn't stop me....it doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. It doesn't mean I didn't break the law. It doesn't mean it isn't a law. I saw the 55 sign. I ignored it. Just because he/she didn't pull me over and enforce it doesn't make it "not wrong".

Again....the title of this thread specifically lists Adventure of the Seas. So you can't go by the cruise compass for Oasis. If someone can provide a more recent compass from ADventure that shows the language is no longer on the AD compass that would make this whole thread void! As of April, the AD cruise compass still listed the "not permitted" language.

Sure, fair point. Maybe someone will post up.

Now, when DW and I go out to a nice restaurant, I always wear a nice shirt with a collar and usually trousers, except in the Summer, nice shorts.

Bolding is mine...

Are you saying that sometimes you don't wear trousers?! :eek::o:p