Do you check the weather prior to cruising or just let it ride?

kollarism

While it doesn't matter, because it will happen anyway, do you start checking the forecast as you approach embarkment day? Our first cruise is Saturday on the Conquest, and I can't help but check the weather/tropical storm report this week.

I mostly check the weather for the departure port so we can make sure we are dressed appropriately but I don't pay much attention to the tropics unless there's a storm in the news that may impact the trip).

While it doesn't matter, because it will happen anyway, do you start checking the forecast as you approach embarkment day? Our first cruise is Saturday on the Conquest, and I can't help but check the weather/tropical storm report this week.

I might, especially if we don't have an excursion booked for a particular port. On a previous cruise, one of our stops was St. Thomas. We didn't have anything special planned, just going out and exploring on our own. I checked the weather report, and there was rain in the forecast. We each brought a compact umbrella, just in case. Good thing we did, because we were a couple of miles from the ship when the rain hit. Yeah, we could've taken a taxi back to the ship, but we opted to walk back in spite of the rain.

I keep an eye on the tropics starting 2 weeks out.

My wife will pull the actual forecast for the entire cruise when it become available. She uses it to figure out what we should bring, rain cloths, more warm cloths, etc.

My biggest concern is not getting to the ship, after that I am flexible in what the weather brings.

I check the forecast between home and port so I know if I should leave early for the drive.

Weather at sea is the captain's concern.

Weather at ports is Carnival's concern. I book excursions through them and they will cancel if appropriate.

Happy sailing!

I look, but it's all the same. There's nothing that I can do about it and in the Caribbean it typically rains briefly each day, and I mean briefly. It always says it's going to be rain in the forecast but never does. At least not like we're use to on land.

Other than any major weather events the reported weather will have a 20% chance of rain. You could also look at it as 80% chance of sun. I have read on Cruise Critic people freaking out about weather forecasts. Sometime a rain shower is very welcoming ona scorching hot Caribbean day

One of the most recent updates to the Hub app now includes daily weather reports. Has anyone tried it out yet?

I have a fascination with storms. I'm the type of person who goes outside to observe or grab my camera and go for a drive when things look hairy. I even signed up to be a storm spotter in my area. I just appreciate and respect the power, but also the beauty of a storm (aside from the damage or threat to life they can cause). Obviously, I don't want to be out to sea during a hurricane or massive storm where everything on the ship goes flying by (I've watched those videos), but I'd love to experience a good storm out there. I suppose there aren't many who are with me on that. ;p Nothing harrowing, just a good ole thunderstorm.

One of the most recent updates to the Hub app now includes daily weather reports. Has anyone tried it out yet?

I have a fascination with storms. I'm the type of person who goes outside to observe or grab my camera and go for a drive when things look hairy. I even signed up to be a storm spotter in my area. I just appreciate and respect the power, but also the beauty of a storm (aside from the damage or threat to life they can cause). Obviously, I don't want to be out to sea during a hurricane or massive storm where everything on the ship goes flying by (I've watched those videos), but I'd love to experience a good storm out there. I suppose there aren't many who are with me on that. ;p Nothing harrowing, just a good ole thunderstorm.

Minus the storm spotter and camera parts, this is me.

I live in SW Florida, so our local weather keeps us informed about any tropical storms forming. I like to know if there's a chance I might be going in a different direction than we planned, it's happened before - several times. No big deal (as long as they don't run out of tequila, that would be bad).

I always check the forecast in order to build my anticipation.

I will either look forward to a nice, calm relaxing cruise, or a rough roller-coaster fun cruise.

I've had one cruise re-routed, two that were moderately choppy, but I have yet to have the weather ruin a cruise, despite the majority of my cruises are during hurricane season.

I generally check the weather every day - whether I am sailing, traveling on land, or just hanging out. There is nothing I can do about it either way - beyond perhaps wearing (or packing on top) rain gear - but it is nice to know what is predicted (which, when more than a day or two out, gets pretty iffy anyway).

I always check weather in advance so that I know what to pack and how to dress.

I check weatherspark historical weather charts for temperature, precipitation, and humidity/dewpoint (the latter having much to do with comfort) for any place we're going to visit, cruise or land trips.

I make spread-sheet calendars and fill in predictions for anywhere that has them (i.e. not so much sea-days!). I fill in hi-lo temps and "forecast" as far as sunny or what chance of rain -- I start maintaining this calendar at 2-weeks out from the soonest date. I mentally cross-reference with planned activities. Yes, I am an analytical planner, why do you ask?

I am pretty much entirely in charge of packing for dr'spin and I, and I like to advise less-well-travelled family members when they are going to be along.

The only weather I check is for the day we are traveling to the port. If its going to be stormy ride in then we leave a few hours early. We've been held up in traffic more than once because of wrecks on the interstate caused by drivers who were driving just a little to fast, hydro-planed and then caused a wreck. Other than that we don't worry about the weather in the ports-of-call because once we're on the ship it is out of our hands.