Royal Caribbean Testing New Unlimited Alcohol Policy

cruza

Currently if the chosen booking perk is the beverage package, both occupants of the room is must choose it.

If you wait until boarding to purchase, one may choose it without the other one being obligated to.

In the first scenario, the one who doesn't drink alcohol can still use the package for specialty teas and coffees, bottled waters, soft drinks, juices, mocktails, special lemonades and so forth.

Hopefully there are not people sharing their beverage packages on Celebrity, which is apparently the reason Royal is testing this. If Celebrity finds that there is sharing (stealing) going on they would have to do something and this is a answer.

On X we both take the Classic..I hardly drink alcohol but enjoy the other offerings...tea, coffees, water etc,,, so it still is worthwhile.

Once they offered drink packages Celebrity demograohic changed...no doubt on that issue,

Hopefully there are not people sharing their beverage packages on Celebrity, which is apparently the reason Royal is testing this. If Celebrity finds that there is sharing (stealing) going on they would have to do something and this is a answer.

Hope there is none!

That is the excuse given for the trial, which will be on seven specific sailings on Harmony of the Seas.

RCI originally required that all guests of 21 or older in the same cabin must purchase the same package, towards the end of 2013 this was relaxed to 'only passengers who intend to use a package need to buy it'.

It seems RCI now wants to return to that format.

There is more "sharing" than you might imagine. We spend a lot of time in Cafe Al Bacio on port days when it isn't busy and we don't feel bad about taking a table for a long time. You would be surprised how many people come to the counter and try to order two drinks on one card. The baristas explain that two cards must be shown to get two coffees. Passengers say, oh I didn't understand that, we only bought one package for the two of us to share. Or someone is sitting at a table and a family member joins them; the passenger who was sitting there pulls out his card and orders a drink for the second family member. Sometimes the servers catch it and say that they can't serve that order without seeing a second card and the first passenger ends up paying for the drink. It happens a lot early in a cruise, until people figure out that packages aren't to be shared.

There is more "sharing" than you might imagine. We spend a lot of time in Cafe Al Bacio on port days when it isn't busy and we don't feel bad about taking a table for a long time. You would be surprised how many people come to the counter and try to order two drinks on one card. The baristas explain that two cards must be shown to get two coffees. Passengers say, oh I didn't understand that, we only bought one package for the two of us to share. Or someone is sitting at a table and a family member joins them; the passenger who was sitting there pulls out his card and orders a drink for the second family member. Sometimes the servers catch it and say that they can't serve that order without seeing a second card and the first passenger ends up paying for the drink. It happens a lot early in a cruise, until people figure out that packages aren't to be shared.
I've seen folks sitting at a table and one person goes up and orders a drink and then goes up a few minutes after and others a different drink and gives it to one of their tablemates, so yes, sharing does happen.

Happens frequently at the pool. One person orders a drink thru the server. When it appears, he/she then goes to the bar and gets another drink for their companion.

Although it can't be measured I bet there is a connection between the chair hogs and the drink shares!

If only chair hogging cost them money, then they'd police it more closely!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They would have to be blind if they didn't see it. When they scan your SeaPass card, you picture pops up just like when you leave and reboard the ship. That's probably why drinks are so expensive, they have to recover their losses somewhere.

I did see that happen once (card taken away). It was a couple of years ago on Eclipse. I usually take a "sharing table" and have different dinner companions every night. But I got seated with the same two couples three or four nights. One man (I called him Mr. Big Shot to myself) liked to play the part and said to the second couple, who didn't have the drinks package, "let me buy you a drink on my package". So he and his wife ordered a couple of drinks for the other couple. The server brought them to Mr & Mrs Big Shot but looked a little askance when the man picked them up and moved them in front of the other couple. Same thing later when after-dinner drinks were ordered and moved in front of the other couple. The next night he did the same with ordering glasses of wine and was a bit put off when he was given a chit to sign -- they wouldn't let him put the other couples' wine on his package. And then the next time I saw him, Mrs. Big Shot was apologizing to the other couple that he wouldn't be providing drinks for them any more -- the Maitre D had stopped him on the way out of the dining room and said that he wasn't allowed to share the drink package. I guess some words ensued (although I didn't see that part) and the long and the short of it was that they didn't have a drinks package after that.