Kid jumps from Princess deck railing into pool

jeffdal

I was on the Grand in mid-July, sailing from SFO. I love all kinds of children - but many of the approximately 500 kids on this cruise nearly swore me cannibalism.

"Nuisance" is the kind word. We had to leave the MDR two evenings, meals unfinished, because of kids literally running, screaming, or game playing through out the space. I am talking totally out of control. The parents were totally indifferent, and seemed to care less what type of demons they were raising. Depending on the night, the miscreants ranged in ages from about 5 to mid teens.

The maitre d' and servers offered only "I am so sorry," or simply shrugged shoulders.

I look forward to more adult centric cruises, and will avoid holes in the school calendar that attracts hoards of the little buggers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Totally unacceptable and spineless answer! I would have gone to GS and requested an appointment with the hotel director and politely explained to him the chaos in the MDR. Also the fact the MDR staff did nothing to control the chaos and the effect it had on our dining experience. I hope you filled out your PCS detailing your bad experience.

Davekathy - The MDR staff did not want to be involved in addressing the bedlam of these kids and clueless parents. It was really a hands off, hoping things get better attitude. The MDR is usually a place to relax, share events of the day, and begin a relaxing evening.

We have come to expect Maitre d's to guide (some say control) the atmosphere firmly; have fun, but not disruptive. But not on the two nights I mentioned.

You bring up a great point, one I had not considered because this experience in the MDR was new. I should have talked with the Hotel Director ... I will keep that one in my back pocket. Cheers!

A "snowflake" is a person who lives in a Fantasy World. They receive Trophies for doing nothing.

They get patted on the head for accomplishing nothing.

Great definition!

When I was working (I was an elementary school principal) I had countless conversations with parents who thought their precious child should receive an award just for existing. They wanted me to have participation awards for children who hadn't earned any other honors. I stood my ground and didn't give in because the last time I checked participating in school was what was expected at age 9 -- certainly not something to be rewarded at an assembly.[emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great definition!

When I was working (I was an elementary school principal) I had countless conversations with parents who thought their precious child should receive an award just for existing. They wanted me to have participation awards for children who hadn't earned any other honors. I stood my ground and didn't give in because the last time I checked participating in school was what was expected at age 9 -- certainly not something to be rewarded at an assembly.[emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd like to say thank you to all of the dedicated principals and teachers out there. [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]It must be very difficult for you at times. [emoji50][emoji259]

...I should have talked with the Hotel Director ... I will keep that one in my back pocket. Cheers!

Hopefully on your next cruise and all of your future cruises you will not have a repeat bad experience in the MDR and will never have to engage with the HD. I have to admit we have never experienced anything you did on any of our cruises.

i 100% would immediately narc on them to security. unacceptable behaviour.

do not care, they had no right to put others in danger like that. i will be captain buzzkill when you act reckless, every time. accidents happen, this was no accident

Hopefully on your next cruise and all of your future cruises you will not have a repeat bad experience in the MDR and will never have to engage with the HD. I have to admit we have never experienced anything you did on any of our cruises.

In March, 2015 we took a b2b Caribbean cruise on the Ruby--when we booked we forgot that March is spring break time. On the first cruise there were lots of college aged passengers, and they were great. They mostly slept late, ate at the Trident Grill or pizzeria, and sun bathed. We rarely saw them indoors at all. On the second cruise there were tons of families, and it was a zoo. For the first time in over 15 cruises at that time our room service order card was removed three different times--on a 7 day cruise. The dining room sounded like a school cafeteria with large tables of very noisy children with families. After 3 days we stopped going to the mdr because the table near us was so loud with children shouting at each other across the table that we were unable to hear each other at our table.

One thing that troubled us was that there were 3 girls around 9 or 10 who were allowed to leave that table and go off alone every night. We worried for their safety on a big ship that was so crowded.

I try not to travel when there will be lots of kids. However those 3 girls may have been going to the kids club. The club does have nighttime activities for them. Let's hope they were not just roaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In March, 2015 we took a b2b Caribbean cruise on the Ruby--when we booked we forgot that March is spring break time. On the first cruise there were lots of college aged passengers, and they were great. They mostly slept late, ate at the Trident Grill or pizzeria, and sun bathed. We rarely saw them indoors at all. On the second cruise there were tons of families, and it was a zoo. For the first time in over 15 cruises at that time our room service order card was removed three different times--on a 7 day cruise. The dining room sounded like a school cafeteria with large tables of very noisy children with families. After 3 days we stopped going to the mdr because the table near us was so loud with children shouting at each other across the table that we were unable to hear each other at our table.

One thing that troubled us was that there were 3 girls around 9 or 10 who were allowed to leave that table and go off alone every night. We worried for their safety on a big ship that was so crowded.

Yea and their dumb ass parents don't say a damn thing! Selective hearing I guess. :mad:

Yea and their dumb ass parents don't say a damn thing! Selective hearing I guess. :mad:

Amazing how some parents won't control their kids these days.

Formal night was nearly ruined for many in our anytime (Late Seating) dining room last Oct while 3 kids screamed the place down, two toddlers, who should have been in bed at that time and another screamer about 5, party of 8. Disturbed everybody in our section, a lot of us. Those kids made a ruckus at the late shows and talked throughout and other passengers told the parents to shush their kids, and parents refused to take kids out of the LATE show. Just ridiculous how bad things have become.

We would have taken our kids out as not to disturb others AND

They would not be jumping the railing into the pool either, or else we'd open up a can of you know what

I was on the Grand in mid-July, sailing from SFO. I love all kinds of children - but many of the approximately 500 kids on this cruise nearly swore me cannibalism.

"Nuisance" is the kind word. We had to leave the MDR two evenings, meals unfinished, because of kids literally running, screaming, or game playing through out the space. I am talking totally out of control. The parents were totally indifferent, and seemed to care less what type of demons they were raising. Depending on the night, the miscreants ranged in ages from about 5 to mid teens.

The maitre d' and servers offered only "I am so sorry," or simply shrugged shoulders.

I look forward to more adult centric cruises, and will avoid holes in the school calendar that attracts hoards of the little buggers.

The above is from my previous post on this topic. You will notice spouse and I also left the MDR more than once because of unruly kids. This is not a new problem. One tactic I am considering is approaching the Hotel Manager and zeroing any portion of tips associated with the maître d'. (Hell, they should pay us! ) Not sure if selectively deducting an "optional" tip is possible, but something has to get their attention.

One tactic I am considering is approaching the Hotel Manager and zeroing any portion of tips associated with the maître d'. (Hell, they should pay us! ) Not sure if selectively deducting an "optional" tip is possible, but something has to get their attention.

Not possible to single a crew member out.

You would be screwing the entire crew.

Not possible to single a crew member out.

You would be screwing the entire crew.

Keith - Thanks for the reply. I did not know if that targeted action was possible or not. Certainly most of the ships' crews do a great job ... but the folks heading the MDR are not consistently doing their job as they once did. Cheers!

Keith - Thanks for the reply. I did not know if that targeted action was possible or not. Certainly most of the ships' crews do a great job ... but the folks heading the MDR are not consistently doing their job as they once did. Cheers!

No problem. I Certainly would not want to deal with that every night in the DR. :(

I don't believe the MD is part of the auto tips anyway.

You have know idea about these girls. They are in the 4th or 5th grade at school and probably walk alone every day on streets that are more dangerous then the hallways on the ship. Maybe even been doing it since the first grade. Also, you have no clue where they were going. They could have been going back to their cabin or up to the kid's center. Since you've already said that they were too loud for you clearly you have made up your mind about the family in general. Personally I find the laughter of small children to be the best music out there.

You have know idea about these girls. They are in the 4th or 5th grade at school and probably walk alone every day on streets that are more dangerous then the hallways on the ship. Maybe even been doing it since the first grade. Also, you have no clue where they were going. They could have been going back to their cabin or up to the kid's center. Since you've already said that they were too loud for you clearly you have made up your mind about the family in general. Personally I find the laughter of small children to be the best music out there.

I never said they were laughing--they were all talking over each other and screaming. If they don't have the manners for a dining room they should be eating in the buffet or another venue.

I once had a kid run back and forth past my table in a restaurant multiple times. I finally stopped him and told him, "If you run past my table one more time I will trip you". He gave me a weird look and went back to hist table His dad glared at me a while but I ignored him and we had a nice, quiet meal after that. I also had a friend who was a waitress who once announced (loudly) to some people, "If you can't control your child you will have to LEAVE". She got applause from the entire restaurant.

Parents who let their kids run amok are worthless people who should be tossed overboard. We had 3 of our own and my wife ran a daycare for 20 years in our earlier lives. She was sought after. The kindergarten teachers all loved her because the kids who started school were polite (and also better educated than the teachers were used to seeing). Children learn what they are taught. If they aren't taught to behave like human beings then they act like wild animals.

If I had been on your sailing I would have spoken up in the dining room. I may not have been popular with the parents but I bet others would have appreciated it and it likely would have gotten results. If nobody speaks up then nothing changes.

There are cruise lines out there that are more suited for children who can't be civil when in the DR. Most people can certainly do without the kids running around, screaming, laughing and carrying on.

This is not to say they shouldn't have a good time but at least during dinner the parents should take some actions to make them settle down.

I once had a kid run back and forth past my table in a restaurant multiple times. I finally stopped him and told him, "If you run past my table one more time I will trip you". He gave me a weird look and went back to hist table His dad glared at me a while but I ignored him and we had a nice, quiet meal after that. I also had a friend who was a waitress who once announced (loudly) to some people, "If you can't control your child you will have to LEAVE". She got applause from the entire restaurant.

Parents who let their kids run amok are worthless people who should be tossed overboard. We had 3 of our own and my wife ran a daycare for 20 years in our earlier lives. She was sought after. The kindergarten teachers all loved her because the kids who started school were polite (and also better educated than the teachers were used to seeing). Children learn what they are taught. If they aren't taught to behave like human beings then they act like wild animals.

If I had been on your sailing I would have spoken up in the dining room. I may not have been popular with the parents but I bet others would have appreciated it and it likely would have gotten results. If nobody speaks up then nothing changes.

Hi Thrak,

On the Rowboat we have a great way of taking care of all the bad kids. It's called walking the PLANK. :eek:

From the Captain of the Rowboat,

Tony

pool kid seems to be form Oakland, Walnut Creek area- Northern California

That would sound about right, since we have a lot of spoiled and unruly kids here in the Bay Area. [emoji33]