Good bye Food & Wine/T&L subscriptions for 4 star and above.

shrimp56

The handwriting was on the wall with the arrival of America's Test Kitchen, but just got the formal notice from T&L this morning.

"The term of your current automatic renewal subscription is ending, but there's nothing you need to do. We'll renew your subscription at the guaranteed low price of $45.00 (plus applicable taxes) for 12 issues. Your new term will be 12/17 - 11/18 and you will be billed or charged before your next term begins unless you cancel within two weeks. If you wish to cancel your subscription, call us at 1-800-888-8728 or visit [http://www.travelandleisure.com/customerservice]http://www.travelandleisure.com/customerservice."

I'm wondering whether they have added or will add a comparable perk to replace this?

OP, you may want to contact the Mariner Society and ask if the complimentary T&L/F&W subscriptions have been discontinued. A year or so ago we received a similar notice from T&L, only to discover (by means of a 'phone call to MS) that the T&L notice was sent out by mistake. Our T&L subscription continued without a break and without a subscription fee.

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

I agree with Avian777. For the past several years I have received a solicitation directly from the magazine to renew. I wait for the e-mail from HAL offering me a magazine and I have responded to HAL and received the magazine without a break. The notice from the magazine must be their normal solicitation toward the end of a subscription.

I appreciate the responses and that may be the outcome, but think it is possible that it is being dropped given that The Culinary Center is in the process of being re-branded. Dont really care either way.

We have had plenty of those notices over the year years...and you cannot blame the magazines for trying to get you to pay for a subscription (which you can get for less money through other means). And they have actually stopped our free subscriptions a few times. All we do is log back on to our HAL account and again request the free subscription....which is then soon resumed. Over the years we have had to "re subscribe" 4 times...and all those dates actually now show on our HAL account under Magazine Subscriptions.

Hank

I appreciate the responses and that may be the outcome, but think it is possible that it is being dropped given that The Culinary Center is in the process of being re-branded. Dont really care either way.

Might want to call HAL to confirm.

I don't understand your connection between The Culinary Center changes and the 4*+ magazine subscription amenities (Travel & Leisure, or Food & Wine).

edit: the benefit is still listed here

Edited by RJ2002

Something similar recently happened to me. I just waited until the subscription expired and renewed online through the Mariner Society. This also gives you a chance to change magazines.

NEVER GIVE A MAGAZINE YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER OR SIGN UP FOR AUTOMATIC RENEWAL. They will enroll you for free or a really cheap rate or have a friend give you a gift subscription and then when that enrollment expires they will raise the rate for renewal. Good Housekeeping even tried to shame me into paying the renewal rate by telling me I had agreed to renew automatically. I enjoy magazines but would never pay more than $1.00 per issue. I let the subscription expire, they beg me to come back, when the price is right I resubscribe and pay by check.

We have had plenty of those notices over the year years...and you cannot blame the magazines for trying to get you to pay for a subscription (which you can get for less money through other means). And they have actually stopped our free subscriptions a few times. All we do is log back on to our HAL account and again request the free subscription....which is then soon resumed. Over the years we have had to "re subscribe" 4 times...and all those dates actually now show on our HAL account under Magazine Subscriptions.

Hank

Agree with Hank. We have gotten the "cancellation" notice several times over the years, and guess what, the magazine starts up again, after perhaps missing one or two editions.

4 star mariners get this free? Are suggesting we will now have to buy a subscription to continue getting it? If so, why would I do that?

Not a chance I will renew and pay for the magazine. It was never worth much to me for free. I'd be fine if they stop tthe subscription right now

PLease, Please, please, i hope they don't intend to offer us "O Magazine. Hope they don't waste a stamp mailing me the offer if that is their plan.

The handwriting was on the wall with the arrival of America's Test Kitchen, but just got the formal notice from T&L this morning.

"The term of your current automatic renewal subscription is ending, but there's nothing you need to do. We'll renew your subscription at the guaranteed low price of $45.00 (plus applicable taxes) for 12 issues. Your new term will be 12/17 - 11/18 and you will be billed or charged before your next term begins unless you cancel within two weeks. If you wish to cancel your subscription, call us at 1-800-888-8728 or visit ["]www.travelandleisure.com/customerservice]www.travelandleisure.com/customerservice."

I'm wondering whether they have added or will add a comparable perk to replace this?

that's a standard email from the company, not HAL. We've received it too as others have.

I found that the subscription wasn't renewed, but, rather, I just waited until the expiry, logged into the HAL site and re-ordered. Never been a problem yet ;)

that's a standard email from the company, not HAL. that is the point. Why did HAl NOT SSEND notification but left it for the magazine to do s?. Notice should have come from the one taeing it away.

We've received it too as others have.GT

I found that the subscription wasn't renewed, but, rather, I just waited until the expiry, logged into the HAL site and re-ordered. Never been a problem yet ;)

JMO, BUT I think igt quite c rummy,, HAl did not notify they are taking away a benefit t bugt left it for us to get a notice tfrom the magazinethey will b ill us unless we take a proactive step to end its delivery. Not exc ellence IMO.

HAL should have informed their custtomers, simple courtesy to let us know when they take somehting away they formerly called a benefit.

Edited by sail7seas

JMO, BUT I think igt quite c rummy,, HAl did not notify they are taking away a benefit t bugt left it for us to get a notice tfrom the magazinethey will b ill us unless we take a proactive step to end its delivery. Not exc ellence IMO.

HAL should have informed their custtomers, simple courtesy to let us know when they take somehting away they formerly called a benefit.

I'm at a loss at your reply.

HAL has taken NOTHING away.

It's always been a one year subscription. No where do they say they will take care of renewals.

So you just re-order the one year subscription when it is up. At least, that is what we have had to do for a number of years. It's not a big deal to do IMO.

We usually cruise every other year, so our T+L subscription expires between cruises. We get the same renewal notice that the OP did. It doesn't phase me because we never gave T+L a credit card for a subscription, so they don't have anything to charge against. Even if they did manage to find a way to charge us, it's an easily winnable dispute because T&L never had our credit card or authorization to begin with.

When we cruised in late 2014, our T+L subscription started as we had just hit 4*. It ran out in 2015 because we didn't cruise in the meantime. After we cruised in December 2016, the subscription started up again. The T+L subscription is listed as a 4* and 5* benefit at this very moment:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/Holland-America-cruises-Mariner-Reward-Chart_US-CA.pdf

In related news: The sky is not falling ;)

It's always been a one year subscription. No where do they say they will take care of renewals.

So you just re-order the one year subscription when it is up. At least, that is what we have had to do for a number of years. It's not a big deal to do IMO.

I have never renewed but still receive it. But won't miss it should I stop receiving it.

Or NOT renew as one wishes. my opinion is, just that.... only my opinion. I am not seeking agreement or approval. :D

For everyone here, not one opinion has any more value than any other.

Does anybody else find it a bit strange and illogical that HAL would have a business relationship with AFAR Magazine for their "Destinations" and EXC initiatives and then offer a subscription to Travel + Leisure, a competitor, to its Mariners ??? By the same token, they have signed an agreement with America's Test Kitchen but offer their Mariners a subscription to Food and Wine ???

Thank God none of these Seattle people are piloting the ships we sail on. :-)

Surely you are kidding, right?

Seeing HAL has provided free magazine but now we will be I billed ifwe continue it............ HAL has taken payment for the magazine away. not that it is a big deal, but it is is what it is and it is a diminishment in 4* Mariner and above benefit. to renew and pay for ourselves if we continue the subsc ription. they HAVE taken something. It is a tiny amount and so what, but they should have informed us and not had the magazines send that notice. I used to read the issues but in past months have stopped. If I want to read it, I'll buy it. The short, small amount of money is not my point. My point is HAL has reduced benefits given to 4* and above Mariners and didn't bother to tell us. How can you say they took away nothing? It is a waste or me to coninue getting it as I rarely finish it and have no one to pass it along to. HAL i likely know s many of us don't full value from it and they are wise to make a change....... I just think they should tell us. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Seeing HAL has provided ffee magazine but now we will br billefd if wwe continue r it............ HAL has taken payment for the magzine away. not that it is a big deal, but it is is what it is and it is a diminishment in 4* Mariner and above benevit. to renew and pay foriy ourselves if we continue the subsc ription. they HAVE taken something. It is a tiny amount and so what, but they should have informed us and not had the magazines send that notice. I used to read the isues but in past months have stopped. If I want to read it, I'll buy it. The short, small amount of money is not my point. My point is HAL has reduced benefits given to 4* and above Mariners and didn't bother to tell us. How can you say they took away nothing?

No, I'm not kidding because HAL HAS NOT TAKEN THE BENEFIT AWAY. It is still there.

There is no need for angst nor worry. HAL has not reduced benefits.

If your subscription expires, ignore the email from the magazine and just log in on the HAL website and sign up for another one year subscription. Simple.

Seeing HAL has provided ffee magazine but now we will br billefd if wwe continue r it............ HAL has taken payment for the magzine away. not that it is a big deal, but it is is what it is and it is a diminishment in 4* Mariner and above benevit. to renew and pay foriy ourselves if we continue the subsc ription. they HAVE taken something. It is a tiny amount and so what, but they should have informed us and not had the magazines send that notice. I used to read the isues but in past months have stopped. If I want to read it, I'll buy it. The short, small amount of money is not my point. My point is HAL has reduced benefits given to 4* and above Mariners and didn't bother to tell us. How can you say they took away nothing?

The free subscription has always been offered for just one year ---period. If you want to renew it it is up to the person renewing to pay for it. You can't take away what was never given in the first place. I was able to grasp that concept quite early in life.

I'm at a loss at your reply. HAL has taken NOTHING away. It's always been a one year subscription. No where do they say they will take care of renewals. So you just re-order the one year subscription when it is up. At least, that is what we have had to do for a number of years. It's not a big deal to do IMO.
Surely you are kidding, right? Seeing HAL has provided ffee magazine but now we will br billefd if wwe continue r it............ HAL has taken payment for the magzine away. not that it is a big deal, but it is is what it is and it is a diminishment in 4* Mariner and above benevit. to renew and pay foriy ourselves if we continue the subsc ription. they HAVE taken something. It is a tiny amount and so what, but they should have informed us and not had the magazines send that notice. I used to read the issues but in past months have stopped. If I want to read it, I'll buy it. The short, small amount of money is not my point. My point is HAL has reduced benefits given to 4* and above Mariners and didn't bother to tell us. How can you say they took away nothing?

I'm a four star mariner (became a four star three years ago) who has never received either magazine (the choice is one or the other, not both). However, it's not one of the four star perks that I care about. Delivery of HAL Mariner benefits can be unreliable and erratic. In some instances I have found that It's also incumbent upon us, the Mariners, to follow through to make sure we receive said benefits.