How Many Cruises A Year Are Too Many??

None of us are promised tomorrow. We're retired and consider cruising as our hobby or lifestyle. There's an art to it and if you make the right choices, it's very economical. When you're on a cruise, you're not spending $ on gas or WalMart or groceries. The bank acct actually grows! In 2017, we'll have been on a ship every month except Aug (we had to renew our passports so had to lay off long enough to get those back) and Dec--but may find one yet for Dec. We fly Southwest on points and companion pass and look for great cruise deals. My hubs is pretty addicted to finding those deals! We feel blessed to do what we love.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First let me say.....we are retired, we love to cruise and we never book anything we can't pay for in full.

That being said....this year we cruised in January, March and are booked to cruise in November. Found a great deal on another one in October that hubby wants to book.:o:o.

I have always been the conservative one in the family and had to handle all the bills and save all the money. While I am very tempted, a part of me still wants to be that conservative one, even though it's not necessary anymore.

Anyone else start getting cold feet when you think you have booked "too many"......:confused::confused:

Is this a trick question? I didn't know there was any such thing as "too many cruises." I long for the day when I can ask that question.

Since I retired 3 years ago I have been on 8 or 9 cruises a year. This year I am scheduled for 10 so I am not a good one to ask! Whatever you feel comfortable with and can afford is the right number for you. One never knows when illness or other more drastic situations will limit cruising so

I say sail as much as you like. If I could live on a ship I would but would have go to divorce court first! Katherine

Lots of great responses here. We have a few cruises booked through January 2019 with room for adding maybe one more, but we prefer to cruise less frequently so we can sail in suites, which we really enjoy. Looking to do the Celebrity Edge Villa in 2020 or 2021 so that will eat up most if not all of the cruise budget. Also we tend to go through phases so we will probably transition to other types of trips in a few years.

One of my favorite quotes I found many years ago. Sail-away...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.

So throw off the bowlines.

Sail away from the safe harbor.

Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Explore.

Dream.

Discover.

– Mark Twain

The most we've ever done in one year has been five. By the end of this year we will have done 3 on Royal and 1 on Celebrity. Next year we have 4 booked, 2 on Royal and 2 on Celebrity.

I always think it would be great to do more as we really enjoy cruising and with both of us retired now you would think that we would have the time but I want to be involved as much as possible in our grandchildren's life and since only one of the six lives in Indiana, we have to travel to other states to spend time with them. Unfortunately, cruising interferes with that.:(

Sherri:)

We usually did 4 or 5 a year, almost all on an Oasis Class ship. This year we will do 8. Six on the Oasis and one each on the Harmony and Allure. Will sail 7 times in a CL and 1 in an Owners Suite. Totally enjoy the cabins, Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen. Nice to be retired and live 165 mile from Fort Lauderdale and 33 miles from Port Canaveral.

If you can afford it, cruise on, my friend! No such thing as too many cruises. My young family cruises at least three times a year, planning them years in advance. Right now we are looking into a Panama Canal cruise in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Take advantage of all you can and enjoy life to its fullest now, while you have the resources and circumstances. Take it from one who knows how quickly things can change. Fortunately I made it to many of the places on the top of my bucket list via land travel, and had discovered the joys of extended time at sea, before a diagnosis snapped travel away. I'm ever grateful for all the travel I was able to do and relish those memories, but everyone who knows me learned a stark and hopefully eye-opening lesson that they are taking to heart (as I am- I'm still chasing my dreams and doing as much as I can without regret and without any 'woe is me!').

I would cruise once month if I could. I've only been cruising for a few years, but will be taking a total of three this year. That's the maximum I can take per year at this time. I would definitely cruise more if I could.

I think people should cruise as often as they want to do it.

Edited by TNcruising02

I follow the blog of a couple that take a world cruise that lasts 4+ months each year and then they add in 3 more long cruises the rest of the year. Lucky for them, they've been doing this for many years. They're living the dream, in my opinion. As others have stated, travel as much as you can because you have no idea when a health problem will limit your travels.

I live debt free, not even a mortgage. So for me, I take 5-6 a year as that is what I can comfortably afford and how much time off I get from work. Once I retire - I figure I will take less, only because part of the enjoyment of a cruise for me is getting away from work and relaxing.

We did 16 last year. 7 so far this year with 9 more booked. Only 7 booked for 2019 But it's a long time till then. Haven't booked anything from Apr 18 to Sept 18 Yet

When I see a great price I book.

We usually book 3 or 4 cruises a year. The most was 7 in one year, but, the prices were so good, we couldn't "not" do them. We got a Member's Cruise on the Explorer that year, about a month before the cruise for $399 pp for an 11 night cruise, interior. No way would we have passed that up. As far as too many cruises......never!

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

However often you choose, live a life you will remember....

9QVhvu7hFH4[/Youtube]

Thanks for the share! And I agree!

And to answer the question, too many is when you decide it's too many. If it ever becomes a chore or burden, maybe that's a sign. But if you still enjoy them all and love that boarding process, then keep going!

Having retired in 2011 I took my first cruise on RCL in 2012.

I got hooked on cruising.

Since then I have added more each year doing 18 seven day cruises in 2016 and will have 20 cruises completed by the end of 2017.

Only sail in the Caribbean from October to May. Like the warm weather

Have sailed on the Oasis, Allure, Liberty, Independence, Freedom, Navigator and the Adventure.

Definitely prefer the southern Caribbean itinerary and plan to spend 24 to 26 weeks on the Freedom out of San Juan when it deploys there.

Take advantage of all you can and enjoy life to its fullest now, while you have the resources and circumstances. Take it from one who knows how quickly things can change. Fortunately I made it to many of the places on the top of my bucket list via land travel, and had discovered the joys of extended time at sea, before a diagnosis snapped travel away. I'm ever grateful for all the travel I was able to do and relish those memories, but everyone who knows me learned a stark and hopefully eye-opening lesson that they are taking to heart (as I am- I'm still chasing my dreams and doing as much as I can without regret and without any 'woe is me!').

I fully agree. What circumstances quickly changed for you ?