Medical Insurance

lrockwitt

I had dallied around after booking our upcoming cruise (not a Princess cruise :( ) and didn't get around to insurance. I thought it was too late and we'd just have to take our chances. Actually, it wasn't too late but due to the price of our cabin, the cruise line insurance was really, really high.

I had seen on the CC boards a mention of Trip Insurance Store (run that all together and add a dot com on the end for web site). Ended up buying through them and got most all the coverage we needed. Staff VERY helpful. They even told me ways to save on the cost!!

We always get Princess insurance as can get the Platinum coverage at the lower rate but due to my recent experience, I think we'll compare pricing and coverages before I commit to either way of obtaining insurance.

It's worth at least taking a look...

Edited by gotta cruise again
adding info

Our trip is 3 weeks away and I did not purchase insurance. I am wanting to know if anyone found a company on short notice?

A quick Google trawl will pull up several hits for travel insurance (which will include medical). A little further research - "reviews" (sometimes to be taken with a pinch of salt), the BBB, etc... - should help you narrow down your search.

It takes all of 5 minutes to complete an on-line purchase as generally all the insurance companies want to know are dates, age(s), cost of the non-refundable portion of the vacation and the type of coverage required. However, note that the chances are at this stage you won't be covered for any preexisting medical conditions.

Insurance is peace of mind. Whatever it costs (and while it is age dependent, for a couple in our 50's it's typ. between 4% and 7% of the non-refundable bits), it's a fraction of how much out of pocket you are going to be should you need to be medically airlifted...

I emailed them and waiting for a response

I agree about phoning them. I had left a voice mail when I started my recent insurance search and decided to try the call again the next day. Was then able to reach a person directly, which saved me time (and a bit of anxiety too!).

Since you are definitely in a time-crunch, waiting for an email reply might just take too long.

I bought a 1 year MedjetAssist policy. It covers you for 365 days from date of purchase. We just got back from a 7 week land trip to Montana, Canada, and Alaska. We leave October 8 for a 28 day cruise to Hawaii and the South Pacific. We have a 14 day Circle Caribbean cruise next March. The policy period covers all of those trips. With most evac plans it has to be deemed "medically necessary" before they will actually airlift you home. MedjetAssist doesn't have that restriction. If we fall ill in Tahiti or Bora Bora or someplace like that and don't want to be stuck using the local hospital for surgery or recover or whatever they will fly us wherever we want in a fully medically equipped jet. It doesn't have to be "medically necessary". It cost $395 to cover both of us for the year.

Medjet does have two limitations everyone needs to be aware of

1) It is Not medical insurance, just a transportation plan. You will still need a medical policy that covers out of the US.

2) In order to use it, you must be admitted to a hospital. Not just injured or being patched up in the emergency room.

We get princess platinum insurance plus the Medjet Assist, which adds a big comfort level for us. Wish we'd had Medjet Assist the year DH broke his kneecap on vacation inSanta Fe- would have been an easier trip home to Denver!

Medjet does have two limitations everyone needs to be aware of

1) It is Not medical insurance, just a transportation plan. You will still need a medical policy that covers out of the US.

2) In order to use it, you must be admitted to a hospital. Not just injured or being patched up in the emergency room.

Thank you for clarifying that. It's a great deal but one does need to be aware of the limitations. Pretty much everything has limitations that the companies aren't advertising. I do worry about the health insurance aspect. I know Medicare doesn't touch anything outside of the US. I am "reasonably sure" that my regular health care insurance does work outside the US but really need to confirm the particulars as I had to change plans when I retired. I may just have to hope that the AIBP will kill any particularly nasty germs and not also kill my liver at the same time. :rolleyes:

Princess offers insurance on each cruise. I always get it included.

Ditto!! You can ask your TA what the cost will be. It's a percentage of what the cruise costs. Just don't go with out it!!! My wife got sick one time and by the time we got home. The cost of all the bills were over 10K.

The Princess insurance was less then $200.

Tony

I suggest you call the Trip Insurance Store at 888-407-3854 and talk to Steve or one of his minions. They'll be able to give you good information. You could also visit their website.

I read this thread more carefully:

1. OP is out of the country--so that's likely why he emailed vs. calling the Insurance Store

2. Cruise is 3 weeks away so I don't think he can get Princess insurance (don't you have to do that prior to final payment?)

3. OP wants to know if anyone has been successful obtaining insurance so close to the sailing date.

Hopefully this synopsis will help posters help our OP.