RCCL No-refund Deposit Rule Penalizes Suite Cruisers

jamesh6

Hmm... I could see a scenario where you book a suite for the OBC, then downgrade to an interior and your deposit amount doesn't change but you get to keep the $300 OBC. That's actually kind of clever, effectively paying a bigger deposit for more OBC, even if it is a moral gray area. I would think that Royal would just downgrade the amount of OBC you get if you change cabin category, but knowing the IT issues they have it wouldn't surprise me if this loophole existed.

People were getting the OBC to use on the cruise they were on at the time they made the booking for the future cruise.

As a former RCCL cruiser, I would like to know the answer to my question. Why are cruisers who want to reserve a suite penalized with a no-refund deposit rule while other category cruisers are not? Blatantly discriminating and unfair. I will not cruise RCCL again.

same reason suites also have a higher deposit and are never eligible for any reduced deposit promos.

enjoy whatever other line you choose. will make it easier for me to get my suites since I don't have a problem with the restrictions.

Posted in another thread about taking instant OBC for booking onboard:

• THE DEPOSIT REQUIRED FOR YOUR NEXTCRUISE BOOKING IS NONREFUNDABLE IF YOU CHOOSE THE INSTANT ONBOARD CREDIT OPTION
  • For Guests who choose the Instant Onboard Credit offer, downgrades to your NEXTCRUISE BOOKING will result in an additional charge of between $50 to $500 on your booking and in the loss of your special promotional offer. Downgrades include booking a shorter duration cruise or booking a lower class of staterooms.

Seems that downgrading is covered.

Oh, those folks are on our bucket list. :)

The Pizza's not Chicago crispy style, but I think you'd like it!

Would anyone be surprised to see Royal offer some ludicrous OBC if you did a Pay In Full at time of booking, if, say, more than six months out; non refundable deposit portion; offer something like $500 for balcony and below, or $750 and above for suites. OBC probably costs RCI pennies on the dollar, or in some cases ends up making the cruise line extra money. I could see them saying sure, give us your 3-5 grand a full year out, non refundable deposit portion, and we'll give you a fat load of OBC for it.

Hmm... I could see a scenario where you book a suite for the OBC, then downgrade to an interior and your deposit amount doesn't change but you get to keep the $300 OBC. That's actually kind of clever, effectively paying a bigger deposit for more OBC, even if it is a moral gray area. I would think that Royal would just downgrade the amount of OBC you get if you change cabin category, but knowing the IT issues they have it wouldn't surprise me if this loophole existed.

People were getting the OBC to use on the cruise they were on at the time they made the booking for the future cruise. So, yes, effectively making a bigger deposit for more OBC. But if you downgrade your cabin you "made out" by just giving a bigger deposit.

LMaxwell thanks for explaining how this happened/worked. Ravensbad, we always book the cabin we want, but I guess others worked the system to their advantage. This would be another reason to why deposits went up again for full suites, OBC amounts went down and they are now non-refundable. An effective way to keep suite inventory more accurate.

LMaxwell thanks for explaining how this happened/worked. Ravensbad, we always book the cabin we want, but I guess others worked the system to their advantage. This would be another reason to why deposits went up again for full suites, OBC amounts went down and they are now non-refundable. An effective way to keep suite inventory more accurate.

According to the section from the T&C someone posted above, they would just add an extra charge to your downgraded booking to make up for the OBC you already used. Whether this was actually enforced or worked like it was supposed to is anyone's guess.

It cannot be worse than RC.

The pizza on the Serenade has been really good on both of our cruises. I mean, it's closer to Dominoes/Papa John's/etc. quality but it's not the cardboard and ketchup I often see people complaining about on here. YMMV

According to the section from the T&C someone posted above, they would just add an extra charge to your downgraded booking to make up for the OBC you already used. Whether this was actually enforced or worked like it was supposed to is anyone's guess.

That would make sense, but I would wonder how long it took RC enforce this. Maybe right from the beginning or maybe it took a while. :confused:

From what I have gathered, this policy was to prevent suite hoarding. With that being said...

My question...can't the "hoarder" people still hoard up a bunch of these suites at the higher refundable deposit price, knowing they are not going to go on all the booked cruises, then decide and still cancel the others at payment without penalty. Although they would pay a higher price on the cruises they take and tie up their money in deposits, wouldn't the end result be the same? They still booked numerous suites and cancelled at the last minute with no penalty. Only,penalty...higher fare for cruises they decide to take.

So how much higher is the refundable deposit fare for suites?

People that book numerous suites and hold with deposits can obviously afford it (although the deposits are higher now for suites???). So who does it hurt? People like me...that books with every intention of going but am afraid something will happen (I usually book well in advance) so I am willing to pay the higher price "just in case."

So in other words...not going to hinder suite hoarders. Just going to hurt the "average joe" or worriers like me.

Maybe I am missing something?

From what I have gathered, this policy was to prevent suite hoarding. With that being said...

My question...can't the "hoarder" people still hoard up a bunch of these suites at the higher refundable deposit price, knowing they are not going to go on all the booked cruises, then decide and still cancel the others at payment without penalty. Although they would pay a higher price on the cruises they take and tie up their money in deposits, wouldn't the end result be the same? They still booked numerous suites and cancelled at the last minute with no penalty. Only,penalty...higher fare for cruises they decide to take.

People that book numerous suites and hold with deposits can obviously afford it (although the deposits are higher now for suites???). So who does it hurt? People like me...that books with every intention of going but am afraid something will happen (I usually book well in advance) so I am willing to pay the higher price "just in case."

So in other words...not going to hinder suite hoarders. Just going to hurt the "average joe" or worriers like me.

I think all suite bookings now require a non-refundable deposit.

All grand suites and above are non-refundable fares. There are no refundable options.

DH & I just booked a cruise yesterday for 9/18. We booked a balcony with non-refundable deposit as the price was less expensive and there were only 5 left on deck 8 and none on deck 9. We are looking over a year here. It looks to me that people are really booking lots of cabins and then wanting a refund when the closing date comes around!!

I can almost guarantee you that there are way more cabins available than RCI says on their website.

When I was booking my Oasis cruise my son decided to go and the website said one left.

I went to a TA website and there was a boatload of the same category cabins available.

Bill

3 cruises now I have had to wait until after final payment was due to finally get a grand suite. Even booking over a year out, a junior suite is hard to get on many cruises. So, I end up booking a balcony, and checking the web site several times a week until a junior opens up and call to change to it, then keep watching until a grand suite opens up.

Given how few GSs are available on the smaller ship classes (like the last 2 cruises I took on Radiance of the Seas with 16 total grand suites) having 3-4 open up after final deposit shows 20%-25% cancellation rate. Explorer of the seas fully booked, 22 GSs, after deposit 4 opened up.

We have had to waitlist for a GS from a Balcony on two cruises. Both cleared after final payment but were a lot more expensive than booking say 12 months out.

We were trying to join family on MJ and all JS/GS were booked. So we decided not to go and made other plans. Then after final payment, several JS and almost half the GS opened up.

When deposits were only $50 and transferable without penalty, it was very convenient for cruisers to hold many cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just throwing this out there but many mention that it's cer Qin c users holding many cabins that often causes suites to be higher closer to final payment. I don't disagree with this but what if it's also Royal holding back suite cabins. As prices start to rise for popular cruises, closer to sail date they can release them into inventory.

Just throwing this out there but many mention that it's cer Qin c users holding many cabins that often causes suites to be higher closer to final payment. I don't disagree with this but what if it's also Royal holding back suite cabins. As prices start to rise for popular cruises, closer to sail date they can release them into inventory.

I'm not sure about that. If they did, I'd think they would hold back the awesome aft balconies, especially the corners. No sense in letting them go for basically the same price as the others. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I can almost guarantee you that there are way more cabins available than RCI says on their website.

When I was booking my Oasis cruise my son decided to go and the website said one left.

RCI's UK web site has a much more comprehensive (though still not complete) inventory than the US site (along with some TA web sites).