Emerald vs. Ruby

elycelynne

I haven't made a firm decision yet, but I'm contemplating the 15-day Hawaii cruise for 2019 (to celebrate my retirement, if all goes as planned). Anyway, I see that there are sailings on both of these ships (as well as on Grand, but I'd probably choose Emerald or Ruby). What I was wondering is if there are any major differences between the two that would give one an advantage over the other or if they were pretty much interchangeable. Thoughts?

If you really want to get down to the nitty gritty, there are a few more rooms on the emerald. I think on Caribe deck, inside cabins. Other than that, like others have mentioned, the ships are nearly identical in the public areas. In fact, these 2 sisters are probably the most alike in the entire fleet as far as sister ships go.

I haven't made a firm decision yet, but I'm contemplating the 15-day Hawaii cruise for 2019 (to celebrate my retirement, if all goes as planned). Anyway, I see that there are sailings on both of these ships (as well as on Grand, but I'd probably choose Emerald or Ruby). What I was wondering is if there are any major differences between the two that would give one an advantage over the other or if they were pretty much interchangeable. Thoughts?

Just sailed the Emerald to Alaska. Loved the ship, crew and itinerary.

Also looking at a cruise to Hawaii but looking at the Grand. The reason is it sails from San Francisco and we have never been to SF so this would give us some nice pre/post cruise time.

Sister ships. They are the same. It comes down to where and how long you wish to cruise. Emerald is doing 15 day Hawaii and a few other cruises plus the Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale via the Panama Canal new locks in April 2019. The Ruby has a variety of Mexico, & Hawaii.

Sister ships. They are the same. It comes down to where and how long you wish to cruise. Emerald is doing 15 day Hawaii and a few other cruises plus the Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale via the Panama Canal new locks in April 2019. The Ruby has a variety of Mexico, & Hawaii.

Another option and is not what you asked but I'll throw out anyway.

Fly to Honolulu and do the POA 7 days (Maui, Hawaii, Kauai) then the second week on/at Waikiki hotel.

We did this a couple months ago and really enjoyed, plus you'll see more stuff rather than 10 days of water.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Happy Retirement! Been on Ruby twice. Service good the first time, bad the second. Same went for food. Did Grand to Hawaii--great service and food. Have not been on Emerald. Of course it's all in the crew. So I guess it depends on which itinerary start city you want. And hope for a great crew.

I am having the same dilemna, so have booked both cruises and will decide later. I like the Emerald better as I like the art on the ship better. But I think I will wait to find out who the Captain, Executive Chef and Maitre D will be and then finalize my decision.

Fly to Honolulu and do the POA 7 days (Maui, Hawaii, Kauai) then the second week on/at Waikiki hotel.

We did this a couple months ago and really enjoyed, plus you'll see more stuff rather than 10 days of water.

Not again! You must own stock in NCL!

It's a fantastic cruise! I wish I could go again!

I've sailed twice on each the Emerald & the Ruby -- "twins" and very enjoyable.

For Hawaii -- I'd choose the ship that leaves from San Francisco! (I was on the Star for that.) SFO is great & sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is a "bucket list" experience!

Enjoy!

I have sailed on both and they are identical in all respects.

10 days of water is a good thing.....:):):)

Bob

I was on the Emerald earlier this year and just got off the Ruby. They are for the most part identical. Our next cruise later this year is on the Ruby because it happens to be going where we wanted to sail. Next spring we are on the Emerald again. I would however pick either of these ships over the Grand which is their oldest design ship with Skywalker's removed several years ago due to structural defects.

We originally booked our Hawaii 2019 cruise on the Ruby. Then we received an email saying we would be on the Emerald. Same cabin assignment.

I'm booked on the April 2019 cruise on the Ruby - the only thing they changed was that they moved it up by two days so now leaving on April 8th out of LA. They will also have the medallion on the Ruby - not sure about the Emerald.

For a brief moment I thought there might be a difference because I know Emerald replaced Sabatini's with Share but then I realized that Ruby did the same thing. Bummer. While I'm not a wild fan of Sabatini's if Ruby had still had that venue instead of Share I could have recommended the ship over Emerald. Sadly, I was mistaken. The good news is that both still have Adagio. :hearteyes:

I've sailed twice on each the Emerald & the Ruby -- "twins" and very enjoyable.

For Hawaii -- I'd choose the ship that leaves from San Francisco! (I was on the Star for that.) SFO is great & sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is a "bucket list" experience!

Enjoy!

I'm actually going to be sailing out of San Francisco on my 10-day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Grand coming up in January. I assume that all cruises that leave out of San Francisco sail under the Golden Gate Bridge -- Correct?