re meat pies

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The best vanilla slice I've ever had was at Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula. It was some years ago and absolutely amazing. With a group of friends, we decided to catch the bus from our suburb down to Sorrento. It was really good fun as none of us ever caught buses and we didn't have a clue! Anyway we decided to stop at this bakery which was reputed to have amazing vanilla slices. Wow, were they ever! I even bought two to bring home and they made it safely! We were in Sorrento prior to Covid for a weekend and had a vanilla slice again, not the same place I don't think. Very nice but so big, I struggled to eat all mine. The filling on both these VS was similar to a creme patisserie, very light and creamy. 

Now look what you’ve done:  started a vanilla slice thread🥰.  A worthy topic, though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Now look what you’ve done:  started a vanilla slice thread🥰.  A worthy topic, though.

It will wander back to meat pies eventually, although vanilla slice is a worthy topic. Hopefully some of these purveyors of fine pastry are still around when we finally get down there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

It will wander back to meat pies eventually, although vanilla slice is a worthy topic. Hopefully some of these purveyors of fine pastry are still around when we finally get down there.

Our sausage rolls are good as well Lyle. Most bakeries have them. But dont forget the orse.

Balfours-Sausage-Roll_45577_web-768x512-c-center.png.11ede576f31e8da1d13d03ff9e260505.png1603333602433.thumb.jpg.d43b612c4f7464d71ecdd432dcddf94f.jpghp.jpg.ba72d08164000f56434672ce29703d6d.jpg342005773_TomatoSauceBottlewithlabel.jpg.9914dd5dee7c0fea753f04abb848a300.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Finally remembered to add pic of pies from Garran Bakery:

L-R:   Chunky Beef,  Beef & Mushroom, Beef

the pastry and fillings are delicious.  

8EE5C792-4E24-4E8D-9F79-39DC50DB81B1.jpeg

Oops:  plain beef in middle, mushroom & beef on right

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Got some shawarma spiced lamb pies, 14 hr wagyu roast pie and a massaman curry beef pie at the farmers market. The curry pie was lacklustre but the shawarma and wagyu yum😋

Sounds delicious.  Which farmers’ market?

We had a nice tortierre the other day. We had not tried that brand before, it was very good. I reminded me of the tortierre my mom's best friend used to make (she is of French Canadian descent). It had just the right amount of diced onions in the ground pork and very subtle seasoning. It wasn't cheap at $16.00 for a 7 inch pie but I would buy it again.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The pastry and filling look great Linda, must be a good baker at Garran.

Overall they’re pretty good, but their pies are exceptional.  When I posted that photo, I told Mario Les will demand to know where the “horse” is😆

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

We had a nice tortierre the other day. We had not tried that brand before, it was very good. I reminded me of the tortierre my mom's best friend used to make (she is of French Canadian descent). It had just the right amount of diced onions in the ground pork and very subtle seasoning. It wasn't cheap at $16.00 for a 7 inch pie but I would buy it again.

Sounds exquisite, Lyle.  I guess it’s the old story:  you get what you pay for.

Possum52 was extolling the virtues of the vanilla slice in Sorrento on the Mornington Peninsula. Unfortunately these have gone downhill especially since they changed the name of the bakery to "The Vanilla Slice Cafe".

However it is still worth a trip to the MP but to Red Hill where the best pies in Australia are still made. They are called Johnny Ripe. Now while the name is not the best, they actually started making apple pies from the apples on their orchard. They diversified into all kinds of meat pies and they are now exported all over Melbourne

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Sounds delicious.  Which farmers’ market?

It's called the Carriageworks Market in Redfern. I don't go that often but when I do I head straight to the pie man stall. He makes some amazing and unique pies with a rotating list of flavours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I had a slow cooked angus beef and potato pie -today also from aldi . 

These Aldi pies get good reviews, mic.I wonder which bakery produces them for Aldi?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, NSWP said:

These Aldi pies get good reviews, mic.I wonder which bakery produces them for Aldi?

I wonder if all stores get them from the same bakery or if different states have different suppliers.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2017 at 5:38 PM, Beejay4016 said:

Mrs Mac's? Yuk. Avoid at all costs. Go for a Harry's.

I had one of those years ago and swore I'd never eat another - and I haven't.

Maybe I should have one to remind myself how bad it was - like I do with ships' coffee.

I usually get the floater at Harry's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I wonder if all stores get them from the same bakery or if different states have different suppliers.

The brand is Elmsbury. As far as I can find, they are produced exclusively for Aldi, I wouldn't be surprised if they are linked with Herbert Adams pies, which have very similar pies and packaging.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The brand is Elmsbury. As far as I can find, they are produced exclusively for Aldi, I wouldn't be surprised if they are linked with Herbert Adams pies, which have very similar pies and packaging.

That makes sense as Herbert Adams is owned by Patties who are the biggest pie maker in Australia.

Another point to consider. https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/food/shoppers-bizarre-find-in-her-aldi-meat-pie-c-1207711