Change of Itinerary 13 days prior to cruise

Melanie Montero

This just may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me with Celebrity Cruises. We just now received notification that our itinerary has changed due to dock construction with less than two weeks until embarcation. We had planned activities in Dutch Harbor with people we had not seen in awhile and now we are rerouted to Stika, where we have already been. This disappointment adds to the other escalating discoveries we have come across since our booking. Minor things do add up to become enough to never book with Celebrity again. We found there is no onboard laundry for our 15 day cruise and the cost for washing a pair of underware costs more than the underware. We found that unlike our other three different cruise lines, we cannot buy wine and bring it aboard. The Internet fees are also usuious. My lesson is to check a bit further under the hood before I book again.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Actually, you can bring two bottles of wine onboard. If you drink it in your stateroom, there is no corkage charge.

Please let me know which cruise line charges less for laundry and doesn't ever change ports, because I'd be interested in them.

This just may be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me with Celebrity Cruises. We just now received notification that our itinerary has changed due to dock construction with less than two weeks until embarcation. We had planned activities in Dutch Harbor with people we had not seen in awhile and now we are rerouted to Stika, where we have already been. This disappointment adds to the other escalating discoveries we have come across since our booking. Minor things do add up to become enough to never book with Celebrity again. We found there is no onboard laundry for our 15 day cruise and the cost for washing a pair of underware costs more than the underware. We found that unlike our other three different cruise lines, we cannot buy wine and bring it aboard. The Internet fees are also usuious. My lesson is to check a bit further under the hood before I book again.

I can understand your frustration of a last minute itinerary change, however (and I may be wrong), but I don't believe dock construction is something that a cruiseline can control. This is something that could happen to any cruiseline, which would cause them to change an itinerary.

Please don't let it ruin your vacation, when you get on the ship try to let it all melt away, and enjoy!

We've done several =X= cruises, and on a few of them there have been unexpected port changes. On our west-bound Panama Canal cruise we missed all three of the scheduled Mexican ports due to the report of a virus that we may have been bringing into Mexico; we later found out the threat was non-existent. Instead, the ship overnighted in San Diego and spent a day on Catalina Island instead. Disappointing? Very, but stuff happens.

We're on the transpacific also. I was looking forward to Dutch Harbor, having never been there, but it's not going to happen. I loved Sitka when we were there on an Alaska cruise and will be happy to return.

Betsy

Certainly not Celebrity's fault if there is Dock construction.

On our last cruise we were told 2 days before we were due to port in Gerona that we wouldn't be going. No explanation, except for 'Operational Reasons.'

I heard a rumour that it was because the ship was pushed into the dock on the previous cruise by a tug and the turning circle was reduced due to construction in the port.

This was not a Celebrity cruise.

Unfortunately Celebrity have never had a self service laundry, so no surprise there.

BTW you can bring 2 bottles of wine on board.

First: Welcome to Cruise Critic

I am on the same cruise and received the email and a call from the Shoreside Concierge. She told me that Celebrity fully expected the dock to be completed, but it is not ready for our cruise.My son wanted a Dutch Harbor Sweatshirt bit that's not in the stars this time. Sitka is a good substitute. You can bring up to two bottles of wine on board. Most people I know do their underwear in the cabin. My DW is in that group and we get free and unlimited laundry service.They frequently offer internet specials on board.

Cruise Critic is a valuable source for information. All of your concerns have been addressed in past discussions.

I have been told of changes the day of a scheduled port visit both on Celebrity and other lines.

Does Celebrity own the dock? Are they in charge of its repairs? If not, I can't see how they are responsible for the itinerary change,

Of course Celebrity is not responsible for the dock. Celebrity could have just cancelled the visit and added another sea day, but they decided, quite correctly to add a very good port. They might be taking the Inside Passage which would be another plus. What we have here is a passenger who is frustrated and disappointed and they need to vent. We've seen this all before.

"My DW is in that group and we get free and unlimited laundry service." NOT for new cruisers, as that is a loyalty perk!

In defense of Orator, I think he was claiming that his DW prefers to wash out undies in the cabin even though they have unlimited free laundry because of status with Celebrity. I am in the same category.

Well, if your friends start out no later than Sunday, then they might be able to meet you in Sitka....

Sorry for your disappointment and bon voyage

Fist of all, it's your own fault for not checking into the rules and policies before booking and making assumptions.

It's hardly Celebrity's fault that construction will not be completed on time necessitating an itinerary change. I suspect all cruises scheduled to stop there at this time are similarly affected.

Celebrity ships have never had self-serve laundry and the policy of bring wine on board has been the same for many years. You can bring wine on board at embarkation (2 bottles). You can not bring wine on board that you have purchased in port. It will likely be taken and then given back to you when you disembark the cruise.

I can't speak to how the internet fees may vary from cruise line to cruise line and I have no idea, even if expensive, how you can call it "usurious" as that has to do with interest rates.

In addition to not considering these things ahead of time, in order to make sure you are matching your needs to the product/service, you still don't seem to be considering the whole picture.

This is not Celebrity's fault, it's your fault as a consumer.

Fist of all, it's your own fault for not checking into the rules and policies before booking and making assumptions.

It's hardly Celebrity's fault that construction will not be completed on time necessitating an itinerary change. I suspect all cruises scheduled to stop there at this time are similarly affected.

Celebrity ships have never had self-serve laundry and the policy of bring wine on board has been the same for many years. You can bring wine on board at embarkation (2 bottles). You can not bring wine on board that you have purchased in port. It will likely be taken and then given back to you when you disembark the cruise.

I can't speak to how the internet fees may vary from cruise line to cruise line and I have no idea, even if expensive, how you can call it "usurious" as that has to do with interest rates.

In addition to not considering these things ahead of time, in order to make sure you are matching your needs to the product/service, you still don't seem to be considering the whole picture.

This is not Celebrity's fault, it's your fault as a consumer.

Then there is 'Cancel For Any Reason' available in their trip insurance policy, as well...

Thank you for your post on this.

bon voayge

Then there is 'Cancel For Any Reason' available in their trip insurance policy, as well...

Thank you for your post on this.

bon voayge

Just to point out, not for all nations ;) (this may be available if you sneakily obtain access to Blu and are Classic, but not for the rest of us - sorry, couldn't resist ;p).

To the OP,

Sorry for your disappointment, but unforunately these things do happen. We've had less than 24 hours notice for a port change alteration. We were en route when we were informed of our cruise leaving virtually as soon as everyone was onboard (much earlier than scheduled) and no stopover, as was planned - many pax didn't even make it. Other ports were removed too.

We've also been at the embarkation port waiting to board, still unsure of a complete itinerary change when we were once sailing the Norwegian Fjords.

It is disappointing and even more so if you think the cruise line knew in advance, however, issues do crop up from time to time and in most instances you have to decide whether to run with it, or risk spoiling your whole vacation because of the change?

We've recently changed our Christmas holiday sailing because of a catalogue of issues, including a removal of a port (the latter having the least impact on our decision to move the booking).

It is upsetting because most of us, whether we admit it or not, book because we like an itinerary. (No, that's not an opening for 4000 more posts stating you should never book a cruise based on an itinerary. Believe it or not, a high proportion of us want to experience different places and not just the same Caribbean islands when cruising ;).)

It's never fun to have to miss a port. On my first cruise, we floated offshore of one port for almost 2 hours, hoping that the conditions would improve so that we could dock, until it was finally determined that we would have an extra sea day instead.

While there isn't a lot of time, you have the chance to make alternate arrangements. I hope you are able to make it work-as they say.

I would never want to spend my precious vacation time doing the laundry, but I agree that the prices onboard can be eye-raising. All of my cruises with Celebrity in the past few years have had a "all you can fit in the bag for 1 price" laundry day, which has been well worth the price from my perspective.

Others have provided the correct information about bringing wine onboard.

I wish you a good cruise and if your experience with Celebrity isn't what you're looking for, I hope that you will find a line that better meets your needs.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Actually, you can bring two bottles of wine onboard. If you drink it in your stateroom, there is no corkage charge.

Please let me know which cruise line charges less for laundry and doesn't ever change ports, because I'd be interested in them.

Princess has self service laundry. It's a nice feature.

And the salad forks are not even chilled ....

I get this is disappointing. But a cruise is a cruise. I like the idea that a bad day on a cruise beats a good day in one's regular life.

- Joel

Edited by cl.klink
did not finish

So now you know you can bring wine on (2 bottles). I've been very successful in bringing wine on during port stops. Did it nearly every stop on our last Aus/NZ cruise. It was never taken from us. So you can always try. The worst thing that will happen is they keep it for you till you get off the ship.

Laundry, there will usually be a special for a bag (around $40) during the cruise. Don't put anything you really care about in the bag!

Internet, yup it's a rip off on ships (all of them). I try to use free wifi when in port. Many shops/bars have free wifi. Nice thing about Alaska is it's US so I can use my phone data.

Cancelled/changed ports is all part of cruising. It's happened to us on nearly every line we've been on. The cruise lines usually have no control of this. I've missed ports due to Swine Flu, weather, earthquakes and danger from drug gangs/terrorists.

OP,

Sorry for your frustrations but you will be returning to Alaska and that's a great thing.

We have missed a port with friends waiting to spend the day with us too. They don't cruise but they sure knew the winds would prohibit a safe entry into Halifax harbor. And we are fairly certain the dredging of St. Lucia's harbor won't be complete when we head there later in the year. We may be able to use another dock or tender or possibly head back to Martinique instead. That's just cruising. And it's all clearly explained in your contract.

I hope when you board and take that glass of champagne you will let out a big sigh and be glad you are on a great cruise with new friends.

By the way, have you joined the Roll Call. It's not too late.

Not just a perk, but unlimited laundry is only available to Zenith Level, I think....

One free bag P.P on a 14 day cruise if you are Elite.

This means we send a bag per week, as its P.P not per cabin.

We can stuff about 30 items into the bag.

Cancelled/changed ports is all part of cruising. It's happened to us on nearly every line we've been on. The cruise lines usually have no control of this. I've missed ports due to Swine Flu, weather, earthquakes and danger from drug gangs/terrorists.

We have missed as many as four ports on a cruise. One of those was because an iceberg was sitting in the exact spot the ship needed to drop anchor.

OP, I do understand and sympathise about the port change....Yes, it happens for a variety of reasons, it doesn't really matter whose fault it is, it doesn't make the disappointment less just don't let it put a dampener on your whole cruise experience....

The other issues you are cross about are honestly not issues...

Laundry....Either use the laundry and see $X as a very small percentage of your total holiday costs or rinse a few things out in the sink or visit Walmart and buy a pile of cheap and cheerful undies to wear and bin or look out for the 'bargain bag'!

Wine....If you visit a nice restaurant on land I am sure you have no issues buying a glass or two of wine to enjoy with a meal. You know the wine is overpriced but accept that is the way it is, same on board. Take your two bottles on board and enjoy and savour those additional glasses you have to pay for! Look out for any special wine offers or discount offers on board.

Internet....Do you really want or need it? We all cruised for years without it. Yes, it's nice but it is not a necessity. Ask any member of staff at ports you visit the best spots for free wifi and they will tell you. If it is a high priority for you then pay up and enjoy....see it as a holiday 'additional extra' you chose to purchase.

We have cruised other lines along with other holiday types....we do try to "do our homework" pre holiday re basic cost, additional costs.....Everyone is taken by surprise occasionaly by something they had not anticipated. You can board 'feeling cheated' and let it sour your experience or you can 'pick yourself up' see your concerns as non issues and enjoy! Sincerely hope you choose to do the latter!

I assume your cruise is on the Millennium. We should have been on the Millie in October to celebrate a significant birthday and have had to cancel owing to a health issue. Please say hello to her from us, we were so looking forward to cruising on her again!

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful cruise.

We have missed as many as four ports on a cruise. One of those was because an iceberg was sitting in the exact spot the ship needed to drop anchor.

We missed Mallorca because of a strike by port workers. I wouldn't really call a missed port a "change in itinerary".

Most lines have similar policies regarding bringing wine on board. They allow for a couple, but all charge some fee to consume the wine at a dinner venue.

The Carnival brands seem to have self service laundry while the RCI brands do not (other than Azamara with the former R ships). We had a longer Celebrity cruise this summer and built into our budget $50 for the night you get to fill the bag for that set price. Celebrity provides for this on the longer itineraries. I would urge OP to take advantage of that.

Other differences I've noticed is that RCI brands allow travel agents to discount more and provide for more on board credit than Carnival lines. This one factor influences the relative price of the overall cruise. While I may have to pay $50 for a bag of laundry, my TA can make that up many times over in credits.

As for internet, ATT now offers special packages with cruise lines. If you have AT&T, search for their cruise packages. I had one and brought on my Mac and used my phone as a MY FI.

We like Celebrity beverage packages. We don't like how much it charges for specialty restaurants. The little stuff seems to even out, but the missed ports have nothing to do with the cruise line. For Alaska, of course, the biggest negative for RCI brands is that they can't do Glacier Bay itineraries as of yet.