All of those 'included excursions'

PaulaJK

Rick

I agree with you that there are some people who are just rude and don't bother to cancel a tour, if they are not going. They may change their mind or other circumstances.

As far as a booked suite, we book the ship and/or itinerary we want, and early. We book the best available suite in our category. Then I watch and check all the time.

End of story.

BellaggioCruiser, I agree--But all suites in that category had been booked. That's why we didn't take the cruise. I think your on the same cruise were on, the TA crossing in Nov. Lisbon to Miami. Not to far off.

Rick

Hey Jackie

Have you booked this cruise?

We are in 918.

Hi Sheila - somehow I got lost in the discussion (probably because I'm onboard Mariner and so much is going on). Our only Explorer cruises are in '19 and '20. However, after being on the Mariner and craving the Explorer, anything can happen. We will likely keep our March Voyager cruise but may change a cruise later in the year to Explorer. It seems that once we sailed Explorer it is difficult to back to the other ships (particularly the Mariner).

Thanks for your balanced posts on this thread. For some reason there has been a lot of Regent bashing the past week or so. Being long time Regent cruisers as you two are, we tend to see things a bit differently. There are some valid points being made but a bit too much negativity for my taste. Apparently if it rains, it's Regent's fault!!!???

BTW, we had high tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria today. The "actual" price of this excursion is now $90 (Canadian) according to our driver. It was nice but a bit uncoordinated. Many passengers couldn't find the bus to go back to the ship. Fortunately for them, there was a shuttle 3 blocks away.

Regards to you and Herb.

Jackie

Hi Sheila - somehow I got lost in the discussion (probably because I'm onboard Mariner and so much is going on). Our only Explorer cruises are in '19 and '20. However, after being on the Mariner and craving the Explorer, anything can happen. We will likely keep our March Voyager cruise but may change a cruise later in the year to Explorer. It seems that once we sailed Explorer it is difficult to back to the other ships (particularly the Mariner).

Thanks for your balanced posts on this thread. For some reason there has been a lot of Regent bashing the past week or so. Being long time Regent cruisers as you two are, we tend to see things a bit differently. There are some valid points being made but a bit too much negativity for my taste. Apparently if it rains, it's Regent's fault!!!???

BTW, we had high tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria today. The "actual" price of this excursion is now $90 (Canadian) according to our driver. It was nice but a bit uncoordinated. Many passengers couldn't find the bus to go back to the ship. Fortunately for them, there was a shuttle 3 blocks away.

Regards to you and Herb.

Jackie

Hi Jackie

It's been a long time since we spoke.

As usual, you and Dennis are enjoying life and Regent! Good for you.

Stuff always happens, but there is always a bigger picture.

I agree, once you sail the Explorer, the rest of the fleet has a lot of catching up to do-- especially the Mariner.

Off topic, after the Explorer crossing in November 2017, we are on the Navigator in August 2018- itinerary is fabulous. We are heading up the coast of Norway all the way to the North Cape then into Murmansk Russia and two other Russian ports and then to the British Isles and Amsterdam and fly home.

November 2018 to the Amazon, on the Navigator again. I see you are doing it this year.

We are also booked Los Angeles- Miami on our favorite ship - Explorer in March 2019.

October 2019 takes us back to Italy. Again - Explorer.

We are sailing on the Navigator because those are bucket list itineraries.

Hope the Explorer looks as good in the next two years as it did in its maiden year.

We pray we are both healthy enough and can make these journeys. That's the most important issue we face. The rest is a piece of cake--

Regards

Sheila

BellaggioCruiser, I agree--But all suites in that category had been booked. That's why we didn't take the cruise. I think your on the same cruise were on, the TA crossing in Nov. Lisbon to Miami. Not to far off.

Rick

Rick

Sorry your category was not available. That's a bummer. We did not get the category we wanted on our August 2018 cruise, so we booked a level down because we loved the itinerary. But, I am always watching. You never know--

This November is our next TA cruise. Let's hope our Florida home is not too badly damaged by Irma, so that we can finally meet.

nigelc: I applaud you for booking another luxury cruise line due to your disappointment with Regent. Hope that you enjoy it. If not, you may end up back at Regent with a different viewpoint.

What has the fact that I have booked with another cruise line got to do with this "thread" ? Indeed, you have said in a number of "threads" that you "hope that I enjoy it" but then go on to suggest that it will be a lesser experience than Regent - well this is a good example of "gas-lighting" and I would ask you to stop. As you have even said, CC is for discussing cruises, including issues that people have with Regent.

I don't have a problem with discussion. I have a problem when posters are constantly told that their experiences are not correct.

Thanks for the eye roll. Brings me back to my middle school years!!

I would totally agree. Clearly, some Regent customers have issues with both the availability and quality of the excursions provided and this should be discussed. While we can arrange our own trips or pay Regent extra for so called upgraded excursion's, this misses the point that we have already paid for excursions that we cannot even get access too - IMHO hardly a 6 star experience.

And let's not derail by suggesting that we are only referencing tours in Alaska and the Caribbean. The latter is just my issue at this moment.

This is a recurrent issue w Regent and points to issues in advertising as well business ethics.

And let's not derail by suggesting that we are only referencing tours in Alaska and the Caribbean. The latter is just my issue at this moment.

This is a recurrent issue w Regent and points to issues in advertising as well business ethics.

We totally agree with you. We actually can only remember having taken 2 included tours since the program was started.. I'm sure that there are others and Regent must have a system for figuring out statistics. The fact remains that they would be in big time trouble if everyone on a sailing decided to take advantage of the marketing gimmicks. Excursions in the Caribbean or Alaska are no less valid than excursions any place else and the inference that they are is insulting.

We totally agree with you. We actually can only remember having taken 2 included tours since the program was started.. I'm sure that there are others and Regent must have a system for figuring out statistics. The fact remains that they would be in big time trouble if everyone on a sailing decided to take advantage of the marketing gimmicks. Excursions in the Caribbean or Alaska are no less valid than excursions any place else and the inference that they are is insulting.

You make a very good point. Indeed, it is more insulting when some posters suggest that it is unfair for customers to actually expect what they are promised by Regent or that we should simply smile and pay more money to get better excursions or flights. Well they claim to offer a 6 star experience and that's what should be provided given the price they charge.

Interestingly, given they claim to offer a 6 star experience within the standard fare, are the extra cost Regent Choice Shore Excursions a 7 star experience?

Back on topic:

While I agree the Excursion Department has slipped up on some occasions, for the most part, they satisfy a day in a foreign port. If one wants a fuller experience, you must do a land tour. A private day tour does not offer much more time to really explore. For those of us who have seen much of the world, the day is enough to remind of a great memory or perhaps make a new one, albeit short.

My biggest complaint is the release of the Excursion list too close to the time we can book them. Once upon a time, we received that list several weeks before selections were to be made. At that time my DH would finally pay attention and help with the selections. I know tours can be changed or cancelled. However, it certainly kept the anticipation and excitement alive, rather that become anxious as to when they would appear.

In some ports we were able to select two tours a day. Not offered any more. We miss that.

Is Rgent cutting back on excursions. I think so.

Do we do private excursions? Sometimes.

Does it change my mind about sailing on Regent? No-- because it's about the entire experience that we appreciate.

Sheila

A lot of Regent regulars do not even want included tours but stay with Regent for other reasons. If people left Regent because of tours, maybe Regent would get the message. IMO, no company can provide the type of excursions that some people expect from Regent. Many places (African continent, South America, etc.) simply do not have the type of excursions that people want - they have old buses, tour guides with language difficulties, etc. I happen to love these type of excursions but have seen Regent passengers refuse to get off of the bus because they didn't want to be around the area that they could see from the bus (very embarrassing -- really makes people that sail on Regent look bad -- this was in Namibia -- some people that got off of the bus turned up their noses as if the people digusted them).

Passengers book Regent excursions and never show up. They book excursions that they haven't read about and then complain when it is exactly as described. Passengers with disabilities join excursions that are clearly not right for wheelchairs, walkers, etc. So, when they book an excursion and happen to show up, they complain about it. Why should Regent even bother?

You can do "free" excursions in every port - no one says that you can't but most people understand that there are capacity limits (it is in Regent ads). And, Paula, we have been on an excursion in Africa with over 500 passengers in attendance. Although this is sadly no longer offered (due to washed out roads to the site where 'Dinner Under the Stars' - also in Africa - took place).

We have choices, there are luxury cruise lines that do not include excursions ........ luxury cruise lines that do not include air ......... luxury cruise Iines where you can pay $60/person for two of their dining venues, etc. If Regent if so disappointing, I'm not sure why people continue to cruise it. Interestingly, this current cruise is almost full (650 passengers). Our next cruise on the Mariner in November has been full for months. So, there are plenty of people that either don't care that excursions are included, like included excursions or pay for Regent Choice excursions to fill up their ships most of the time.

Note: In the Amazon, 5 of us booked a private excursion simply because we didn't want to be amongst the crowds. It costs less money than many Regent Choice excursions and gets high ratings. However, for those of you looking for luxurious excursions in the Amazon, it may be a good idea to look elsewhere as this excursion will be quite primitive (as will Regent's).

nigelc: I applaud you for booking another luxury cruise line due to your disappointment with Regent. Hope that you enjoy it. If not, you may end up back at Regent with a different viewpoint.

Excuses. Excuses. Excuses.

If I book a cruise that offers unlimited free (another BIG joke) excursions and am paying for them upfront in my fare it is not my problem to worry about availability or possible cancellations no matter when I book. IT IS REGENT'S OBLIGATION to make sure I can get what I want when I want and if they have to add ten more buses, well, that's the price they have to pay for their advertising as they do. If you walked into the bar and ordered a martini (since all drinks are also "free") and were told, sorry, but early bookers have used up all the gin, what would your reaction be?

Wripro, We're on the same page.

I was not referencing cruise availability, the quality of excursions or whether to do an included excursion vs private tour. There is much I appreciate re: the Regent experience...but not hoax like & disappointing delivery. Lobster, gin...same idea.

Excuses. Excuses. Excuses.

If I book a cruise that offers unlimited free (another BIG joke) excursions and am paying for them upfront in my fare it is not my problem to worry about availability or possible cancellations no matter when I book. IT IS REGENT'S OBLIGATION to make sure I can get what I want when I want and if they have to add ten more buses, well, that's the price they have to pay for their advertising as they do. If you walked into the bar and ordered a martini (since all drinks are also "free") and were told, sorry, but early bookers have used up all the gin, what would your reaction be?

Keeping in mind, of course, that in many ports you're limited on how many people you can run through a particular place at a particular time. That's one of the reasons we're trying to travel more in shoulder season - crowd avoidance is much more important to me...

Keeping in mind, of course, that in many ports you're limited on how many people you can run through a particular place at a particular time. That's one of the reasons we're trying to travel more in shoulder season - crowd avoidance is much more important to me...

I am starting to see a pattern here:

- Poor flights, with customers being bounced around the world despite direct flights being available. Not Regents fault but the Airlines because there's not enough seats available (even going to such cities as Miami).

- Poor "free hotels", with customers being placed in 4 star hotels rather than the "luxury/world class hotels" promised. Not Regents fault, not enough hotel rooms available (even in such cities as Miami).

- Poor transfers to the ship/airport. Not Regents fault, just too many people wishing to get on the ship at the same time (even with such small passenger numbers)

- Lack of availability/poor quality excursions. Not Regents fault, the places to visit cannot cope with large numbers (even with such small passenger numbers and Regent picking the port of call).

- Poor food and service being reported on the Mariner. Cannot be Regents fault, but I can't think why on this one.

And to top it all, people in dressing gowns in lifts (:eek:).

Never mind whose fault it is, it does not seem to add up to a 6 star experience to me.

Bill can you clarify the term shoulder season please? Thanks Jean.

I am with Nigel on this. I am paying Regent a personal Fortune for what has been advertised as a Luxury 6 Star Experience. Reading these boards has made me skeptical that I will get what I paid for. I expect the Excursions and ALL aspects of this cruise to be top notch.

Gary, please do not embark on your Regent cruise in a skeptical frame of mind. I am sure you will have a fabulous time.

Personally, I find this thread intriguing as in 8 years of sailing with Regent in various parts of the world, we have never failed to get onto the excursions we wanted, albeit we sometimes had to join a waitlist in the first instance.

Most of the excursions have been good; some have been exceptional; very few have been poor.

Choose your excursions carefully - either the included excursions or those for which you pay extra. If you do not want to tire yourselves out, choose the shorter excursions, which often involve less travelling, and don't think you have to go on an excursion every day. Leave some time to enjoy what the ship has to offer.

Importantly, use the services of Destination Services on board. Discuss what they know about the tours (sometimes it is no more than in the description) before you go and give them feedback, both positive & negative, on your return.

In our opinion, Regent offers a good product overall, particular with the on-board experience. Do they always get everything right? No, but they do reasonably well in our experience.

For those that don't like their excursions then either don't take them or use another cruise-line that doesn't offer excursions as part of the package.

My replies in blue:

- Poor flights, with customers being bounced around the world despite direct flights being available. Not Regents fault but the Airlines because there's not enough seats available (even going to such cities as Miami).

I agree that the routings can often be somewhat odd - and it seems to have gotten worse since the inclusion of Business Class air - not surprising, since there are fewer BC seats to choose from. But most of this can be fixed with an air deviation. We almost always deviate and usually get good flights.

- Poor "free hotels", with customers being placed in 4 star hotels rather than the "luxury/world class hotels" promised. Not Regents fault, not enough hotel rooms available (even in such cities as Miami).

I've never been stuck in a bad hotel. I also couldn't find where the Regent website promised anything above 4 star hotels - the last few we were in were very nice.

- Poor transfers to the ship/airport. Not Regents fault, just too many people wishing to get on the ship at the same time (even with such small passenger numbers)

I have to kind of agree on this one - although we've been taken to the airport in S-Classes and Panameras before, there have been times it was more cattlecar than cushy.

- Lack of availability/poor quality excursions. Not Regents fault, the places to visit cannot cope with large numbers (even with such small passenger numbers and Regent picking the port of call).

My experience has been the opposite - I've only had one cancelled excursion and that was due to lack of participation. I've had to waitlist several, usually the capacity controlled selections, but have pretty much always gotten to take the excursions I wanted.

- Poor food and service being reported on the Mariner. Cannot be Regents fault, but I can't think why on this one.

I've seen TC comment about sides not being warm. But until I read her full review, I'm going to withhold judgment about "poor food and service", especially since the service on my cruise last week was superb as was 99% of the food.

That could be remedied by a liberal keelhauling policy.

Never mind whose fault it is, it does not seem to add up to a 6 star experience to me.

I've been against the '6 star' stuff since I first read about it - marketing hype, and it drives me nuts (much like the "Free this, free that" crap). My policy has always been that I either like something or I don't. I currently like the Regent experience, and if and when I don't, I'll try and find something better. Not sure that will be all that simple, though, as I read a lot of the same comments on the other luxury boards, too.

Gary, please do not embark on your Regent cruise in a skeptical frame of mind. I am sure you will have a fabulous time.

Agreed - the positives far outweigh the negatives in my book.

Personally, I find this thread intriguing as in 8 years of sailing with Regent in various parts of the world, we have never failed to get onto the excursions we wanted, albeit we sometimes had to join a waitlist in the first instance.

Most of the excursions have been good; some have been exceptional; very few have been poor.

My experience as well.

Choose your excursions carefully - either the included excursions or those for which you pay extra. If you do not want to tire yourselves out, choose the shorter excursions, which often involve less travelling, and don't think you have to go on an excursion every day. Leave some time to enjoy what the ship has to offer.

Importantly, use the services of Destination Services on board. Discuss what they know about the tours (sometimes it is no more than in the description) before you go and give them feedback, both positive & negative, on your return.

Amen to the shorter excursions - our three days in Russia were a marathon, although I would do it again tomorrow.

In our opinion, Regent offers a good product overall, particular with the on-board experience. Do they always get everything right? No, but they do reasonably well in our experience.

Maybe that's why you've been sailing with them for 8 years? We took our first Regent cruise in 2009 and are still with them. Either I'm too dumb to know they suck or maybe, just maybe they're not all that bad...

For those that don't like their excursions then either don't take them or use another cruise-line that doesn't offer excursions as part of the package.

Thank heaven for choice, huh?

Wow---- if I felt as you do, I would never choose Regent as my "go to" cruise line!!!

1- flights- I hardly ever use Regent air. We do it ourselves with the Regent credit.

2- hotels- most often, we choose our own hotels. And take the Regent credit. Unless, we cannot get a good hotel at that port. We usually stay more than one night and it washes out in the end.

3- transfers- yes the transfers usually suck. But since we are at a hotel of our choosing, we grab a taxi or car service.

Although 1,2 and 3 may be more expensive, it's not too much more cost for our pleasure and comfort. We compare the cost of the cruise and think of the above as "lucky strike extras" (now that dates me)

4- excursions - usually enjoyed our selections and availability is mostly good, unless we went on a "quickie". Then we waitlisted and usually got most of our choices. Very rarely do we book private unless there is something really special we want to do.

5- Mariner food- after sailing on the Explorer, I think any other ship may be a let down. We sailed on the Mariner in April and I loudly complained about the condition of the suite on CC. However, a hurricane had prevented the timely refurbishing of the ship. Although I was unhappy, it didn't prevent me from booking additional cruises on board on that cruise.

6- Bathrobes in lifts- who cares???

Unless you own or lease a plane or private yacht, this is group traveling, at its best.

BTW- loved it when I had the opportunity to do private plane and Yacht several times. It's paradise on earth.

And, I spend a great deal of time figuring out and booking our flights and hotels for each cruise. You may say "then why Regent"? My answer is that while on board, we love the accommodations and personal attention we get from the staff and crew. Better than any other line we sailed. (Except private). I have sailed on Regent (Raddison) for 25 years. And, in between, we tried almost very other cruise line and still come back to RSSC.

I suggest you solve your problems by:

A) trying another cruise line

B) making air and hotel reservations on your own with Regent credit.

C) chartering a plane or yacht

So I think I have covered all your concerns. The difference between you and I, is that we roll with it.

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

Hey Bill

I wish I knew how to answer the way you did. It would have saved me lots of time. (And as you can see, I am always so busy checking hotels and flights LOL!).

BTW- I agree with everything you and Flossie said.

Regards

Sheila

You did a great job, I don't think anyone could have said it better. It's up to each one of us to do what we want---I have no problem pointing out a problem and hope Regent see's it the same. However it's up to me to move on or if it's right pay the price. I think better/higher up suites need more perks-but that's what I think-so if I booking Regent (and I have 3 booked) it must be OK with me (for now). You need to think whats right for you-I know changes will come down the line.

Rick

lol. Sorry, but merely telling me not to use the included elements of the package is not answering my concerns but appears to confirm their poor quality. However, it does explain how Regent gets away with so much - why would they improve the quality of what they offer when customers simply accept lower than advertised standards?

Indeed, it amazes me when you say you complained loudly about the condition of the suite but then booked another cruise with them any way. But as they say, your money, your choice. Unfortunately, my choice was based on Regents advertising, which is proving to be "over egged" to say the least. But as the old saying goes, “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.”

In relation to "bathrobes", that was humour - I personally do not have any issue with them. However, if you read TC2 "thread" on her Mariner trip, there is a lot of people who do.

Hi Rick

Thanks for the good words.

I agree with you about perks for upper suites. Why not?

I don't think it hurts anyone. An extra dinner reservation, a little more laundry. If it will make you happier, then go for it!

BTW- I have the laundry perk and love it. And, most of the time I can get into a restaurant a second time if I am willing to be flexible about time and table size.

See you in November.

Sheila

lol. Sorry, but merely telling me not to use the included elements of the package is not answering my concerns but appears to confirm their poor quality. However, it does explain how Regent gets away with so much - why would they improve the quality of what they offer when customers simply accept lower than advertised standards?

Indeed, it amazes me when you say you complained loudly about the condition of the suite but then booked another cruise with them any way. But as they say, your money, your choice. Unfortunately, my choice was based on Regents advertising, which is proving to be "over egged" to say the least. But as the old saying goes, “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.”

In relation to "bathrobes", that was humour - I personally do not have any issue with them. However, if you read TC2 "thread" on her Mariner trip, there is a lot of people who do.

I'm sorry you didn't get it--- it's about the cruise ship experience. I think Regent does it best. I don't pay attention to hype advertising. They are all the same.

I believe I get my money's worth on Regent. You may not agree. That's why we have choices.

Just saying--

I'm sorry you didn't get it--- it's about the cruise ship experience. I think Regent does it best. I don't pay attention to hype advertising. They are all the same.

I believe I get my money's worth on Regent. You may not agree. That's why we have choices.

Just saying--

It not just about the ship experience when they are selling you and charging you for a "package". I agree that its about choice's, but there's not much choice when they have your cash and then start messing you about. Just saying too.