Time To Buy?

nukesubsailor

The hurricanes in the Caribbean seem to be causing some owners of cruise line stock to panic and sell their shares, driving the market price down. For anyone considering buying CCL stock in order to get the shareholder benefit onboard credit on future cruises, this might be an opportunity to buy at a lower price.

The hurricanes in the Caribbean seem to be causing some owners of cruise line stock to panic and sell their shares, driving the market price down. For anyone considering buying CCL stock in order to get the shareholder benefit onboard credit on future cruises, this might be an opportunity to buy at a lower price.

Definitely dropping like a ton of bricks.

09/08/2017 65.57

09/07/2017 65.66

09/06/2017 66.96

09/05/2017 66.97

09/01/2017 69.13

08/31/2017 69.48

07/03/2017 65.25

01/03/2017 52.14

01/02/2015 45.61

01/02/2013 37.50

Edited by billco
Putting things in perspective

Yep. It's dropping. I am soooooooooo not worried about it. We didn't buy back when it was super cheap but then we didn't cruise back then. We bought at $37.05. Since then we've received generous dividend payments and enjoyed very nice OBC benefits. It was a great purchase. Even though it's dropping it's still up by a huge margin from when we made the purchase.

Yep. It's dropping. I am soooooooooo not worried about it. We didn't buy back when it was super cheap but then we didn't cruise back then. We bought at $37.05. Since then we've received generous dividend payments and enjoyed very nice OBC benefits. It was a great purchase. Even though it's dropping it's still up by a huge margin from when we made the purchase.

Is there a place on the Princess site to read about these benefits? How many shares does one have to buy?

I didn't get the "bargain basement" price back in the $20's... not sure if we had ramped up the cruising then. What I do know is I didn't immediately act and procrastinated. But I own it now for a while and am happy with CCL performance, my dividends, and my OBC. In fact, it's doing so well, why did I buy only the minimum?

I didn't get the "bargain basement" price back in the $20's... not sure if we had ramped up the cruising then. What I do know is I didn't immediately act and procrastinated. But I own it now for a while and am happy with CCL performance, my dividends, and my OBC. In fact, it's doing so well, why did I buy only the minimum?

Good question - we bought about two years ago - paid more than we want but current price is still higher - and the OBC is a great perk. We made sure to have it in both of our names so if in two cabins (think kids/grandkids) we'd both get the OBC. I believe the way ours is invested our profits roll over to purchase more stock vs. paying a quarterly dividend, but that's DH'a zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good question - we bought about two years ago - paid more than we want but current price is still higher - and the OBC is a great perk. We made sure to have it in both of our names so if in two cabins (think kids/grandkids) we'd both get the OBC. I believe the way ours is invested our profits roll over to purchase more stock vs. paying a quarterly dividend, but that's DH'a zone.

It's not just the OBC. CCL is paying $40 per quarter in dividends on 100 shares. Vastly more than a bank would give me on that amount of money.

I had not been doing dividend reinvest (drip) on CCL, but am now. Wish I had done it from the start. My fear is that one of these years they will up the minimum share level for this perk.

I bought in 2008 for $25.50/share!! Have 188 shares with all dividends buying more shares. One of the best investments I've ever gotten. Will never sell. Keep racking up OBC too.

All stocks go up and down; anyone who keeps buying and selling everytime they do will end up poor. Do your research and find stocks with a great long term record, then buy and hold for a long time. The tortoise, not the hare, wins. ;p

Please clarify. Do you have 100 shares jointly held, because I don't see how that would get you two OBC's. If you have 200 shares jointly held, then yes, but that is not really different than each of you having 100. I am skeptical that one could finagle two OBC's from 100 shares. I guess it is because you are booking two cabins?

PS - I no longer have the young kids question and no grandkids yet - and if we did, they'd be with their parents I would think.

You need 100 shares - see attached.

If the stock is purchased after your cruise is booked, will they still accept the request and will you receive OBC?

If you book a cruise using the current Princess promotion ("Sun Drenched Deals" - 30%off), will they allow/apply the shareholder benefit?

Thank you.

The shareholder OBC is granted one/cabin only. So owning more that 100 shares will not get you more OBC or both owning 100 shares each will not get you two shareholder OBC.

You have to own the shares when you apply for the OBC which has to be presented at least 2 weeks before you sail.

The shareholder OBC is not dependent on any sales or other concerns. It only is based on whether you own at least 100 shares before you sail.

Great thing about Princess is that they allow you to stack OBC. So you can get the shareholder OBC, FCD OBC, and military veteran OBC all at the same time. The military veteran OBC and FCD OBC are granted to everyone in the cabin who qualifies. Always buy an FCD each for you and your partner for example.

Please clarify. Do you have 100 shares jointly held, because I don't see how that would get you two OBC's. If you have 200 shares jointly held, then yes, but that is not really different than each of you having 100. I am skeptical that one could finagle two OBC's from 100 shares. I guess it is because you are booking two cabins?

PS - I no longer have the young kids question and no grandkids yet - and if we did, they'd be with their parents I would think.

Clarification: People send the same brokerage form in to get credit for the different staterooms. Sorry, it's true. Truthfully, the cruiseline will accept just about anything that shows 100 shares of stock as evidence of ownership. Excel or Word could get you ownership in any publicly held corporation plus privately held corporations too.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Yes - 100 shares jointly held can indeed finagle 2 OBC IF you have two cabins - no need for more than 100 [emoji57].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I am considering this purchase.

Couple questions.

At today's approximate share price, 100 shares are going to be in slight excess of $6,000

For that investment, I am going to receive $100 OBC for each Princess cruise.....and a quarterly dividend that is running approximately how much over the say past year or two?

I am trying to get to how many cruises does one need to take to make sense of this....or does the ROI with quarterly dividend pencil out stand alone?

Also, if I were to sail on another carnival brand, would I still receive the same OBC?

Thanks much

Clarification: People send the same brokerage form in to get credit for the different staterooms. Sorry, it's true. Truthfully, the cruiseline will accept just about anything that shows 100 shares of stock as evidence of ownership. Excel or Word could get you ownership in any publicly held corporation plus privately held corporations too.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Just to clarify - that response sort of implies working the system, or trying to get something you're not entitled to. The fact is that if you have 100 shares jointly held, you are entitled to and will receive OBC for each booking number, or cabin. We always submit the current brokerage statement, never anything else, clearly showing both of our names. We sometimes get two cabins and this has been the case each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

November will be our first cruise on Princess, but courtesy of their generous OBC policies (including shareholder) I'm happy to say that we have three more booked. Ian addition to the average $50 +/- dividend annually for the 100 shares, I consider the OBC to be a great dividend!:D