Medical Excuse?

indigosails

We are scheduled to cruise to Cuba in ten weeks. Meanwhile Hurricane Irma has devastated the island. So far there's been no word from the cruise line other than they are considering other ports and they are sensitive to the economic needs of the island people, who they consider to be their partners.

We booked this cruise to go to Cuba, so if they change up the itinerary and take Cuba out, in your opinion would that let us out of our contract? Also of note, travel.state.gov has issued a warning to avoid Cuba...for now anyway.

Another thing is I am looking at knee replacement surgery very soon and, barring a miracle, I will be unable to make the journey anyway. We did not purchase trip cancellation insurance. Would a doctor's note suffice to at least get some of the money back?

What do you think? Which scenario offers the most hope? Ironically, we have always bought insurance in the past and have never used it.

Many thanks.

Next time, buy the insurance. But it would not cover the knee, if you knew the knee surgery was needed before you bought the insurance (pre-existing condition).

You need to call and talk the cruise line. I doubt you will get money back. They may give you part or most of your fare as a future cruise credit.

I understand your concern. IMO, the Cuba cruise is a destination cruise as it is the only port of call, just as a Bermuda cruise would be with that as the only port of call. To re-route it - if that were the case - negates the likely reason it was booked in the first place - to go to Cuba. So I sympathize with your position.

That being said, unfortunately I agree that little may be done by the cruise line as they expressly have the option to reroute as needed without any reimbursement to the passengers for ports missed, other than for port charges and taxes, and any prepaid excursions. And clearly the current situation resulting from the storm would be a legitimate reason to reroute.

I think all you can do is wait to see what happens by the time your sailing date arrives regarding your actual itinerary as you are likely past final payment and to cancel yourself would put you in financial penalty. If they were to decide to cancel the cruise, then you would receive a refund and maybe some additional "good will" towards a future cruise. If it is just rerouted, they may do nothing other than with the port charges, etc., as mentioned.

As to a doctors note - if it confirms the need for surgery - that would be something you would have to take up directly with the cruise line to see if they would provide any consideration for that. Hopefully all will work out.

Even if you had regular cruise insurance (and not the more expensive cancel for any reason kind) you would not be reimbursed if you cancelled, not because of an itinerary change, and even if you purchase it now, it will not cover a reason for cancellation for a pre existing condition. Enjoy your cruise, wherever you end up!

We are scheduled to cruise to Cuba in ten weeks. Meanwhile Hurricane Irma has devastated the island. So far there's been no word from the cruise line other than they are considering other ports and they are sensitive to the economic needs of the island people, who they consider to be their partners.

We booked this cruise to go to Cuba, so if they change up the itinerary and take Cuba out, in your opinion would that let us out of our contract? Also of note, travel.state.gov has issued a warning to avoid Cuba...for now anyway.

Another thing is I am looking at knee replacement surgery very soon and, barring a miracle, I will be unable to make the journey anyway. We did not purchase trip cancellation insurance. Would a doctor's note suffice to at least get some of the money back?

What do you think? Which scenario offers the most hope? Ironically, we have always bought insurance in the past and have never used it.

Many thanks.

Re-imbursement for missing Cuba is unlikely. Look at your passenger contract.

A doctor's note will get you re-imbursed for port charges and fees. Insurance is offered to give you a way to get a refund if you have medical problem.

Sorry.

You said that you cannot go anyway so it makes no difference if the itinerary is changed. Most contracts carry a clause that the itineraries can change as conditions require. So your only recourse is if the cruise cancels your sailing.

You can cancel now and cut your losses. See the cancellation schedule is on your booking. But if you are hoping that the cruise line cancels on you that's not likely to happen.

A doctor's note won't meaning anything without insurance and you didn't buy it.

You're going to take about a 50% cancellation penalty at this point - unless you bought a heavily discounted non-refundable fare which means you will lose 100% Maybe another family member can sail in your place?

Many thanks.

Re your cancellation - I sure hope that you do not get one cent back. You didn't buy insurance so why should you get any money back. If they give you money back or credit on a future cruise, why should any of us buy insurance.

Re Cuba - read your cruise contract. It says that they can change any or all of the ports at their discretion. They can even cancel all the ports and spend your cruise time running in circles at sea. They may decide to give you some credit just because they want to enhance customer good will but there is no violation of their contract if they decide not to.

DON

some lines are resuming the Cuba cruises this week so in 10 weeks probably most will be returning

Depends on the port stops you had originally whether they will still go there

check the cancellation penalty now if you will not be able to go because of your surgery

at least you may recoup some of your $$

My husband had a heart condition and we had a cruise booked. His cardiologist hand wrote a letter to the cruise line. The cruise was leaving in just a few days and we didn't have time for him to dictate a letter and have his secretary type it so he wrote it. (We did get a typed copy in the mail later.) His letter said it would be medically unwise for my husband to travel at that time.

Don't remember how but we got a fax number for Carnival and we faxed his letter. We didn't get any money back but Carnival let us use the money we paid to book any other cruise which is what we did. Maybe this would work for you?

My husband also had a complete knee replacement surgery July 12th. He is walking but his knee is still sore . He had ice on it for 2 months and still elevates it sitting in his recliner. He should be fine by our next cruise, November 4th!

There are many travel insurance policies that cover pre-existing conditions, at least in the US. You usually must purchase the policy within a set number of days (14 - 21, depends on policy) from the date you made the first deposit on your trip.

OP is out-of-luck for a medical cancellation with no insurance.

There are many travel insurance policies that cover pre-existing conditions, at least in the US. You usually must purchase the policy within a set number of days (14 - 21, depends on policy) from the date you made the first deposit on your trip.

That's what we were told when we booked our upcoming cruise. I was diagnosed with cancer last year so knew I wanted travel insurance. We bought it the same day we booked, and were told that we had 14 days to get it to cover any cancellations we might have to do related to my diagnosis.

This is correct information. :)

What cruise line? If you are sailing in 10 weeks, 70 days, some lines like Celebrity will only forfeit the deposit amount if cancelled 89 to 57 days prior. (on one of my sailings the time frame is 74 to 57 days to lose the deposit)

Call your cruise line or T/A if you are not sure of their policy. Since you are having 2nd thoughts about the cruise it may be to your advantage to cancel now and cut your losses. We've done that twice on land trips.