What is a reasonable timeframe to expect a response from HAL's president?

cruisersMandW

In general we lean towards the positive when raveling as minor inconveniences are to be expected. However, after a wonderful land & sea voyage on Nordam HAL seriously dropped the ball on the transfer from Vancouver to Seattle.

In a nutshell we waited for over 3 hours for the coach (it arrived when we should have been there, and after the ship announcements indicated that the ship was cleared), and then had a driver who didn't know where he was going so we drove around Seapac fro quite a while afterwards. We effectively lost the entire afternoon in Seattle. There's more but that's the gist.

I wrote a letter on 9/2 (via e-mail) and waited. After no response I sent an e-mail to Mr. Ashford on 9/17. I received a stock response saying he would respond in the order that it was received.

I realize this is a crazy time given the devastation in the Caribbean and there are lots of itineraries and issues that need to be addressed, so I'm wondering- when is it reasonable to receive a response?

I would give it 4 - 6 weeks. Sometimes the office of the President sends the reply by snail mail and sometimes by email. The snail mail can hold up replies.

That would be normal response time IMO. Not sure how the Caribbean would effect it.

At the very least I would have expected a form letter from his office thanking you for your communication and setting an expectation as to when you could expect a response and who that response would come from. Not 4-6 weeks either. I know of several large organizations that have a 48 hour turnaround goal for these types of acknowledgement form letters. It is not difficult. Once the name/address is logged in the system the rest is automatic.

Perhaps your letter did not arrive or it was mis-directed.

In general we lean towards the positive when raveling as minor inconveniences are to be expected. However, after a wonderful land & sea voyage on Nordam HAL seriously dropped the ball on the transfer from Vancouver to Seattle.

In a nutshell we waited for over 3 hours for the coach (it arrived when we should have been there, and after the ship announcements indicated that the ship was cleared), and then had a driver who didn't know where he was going so we drove around Seapac fro quite a while afterwards. We effectively lost the entire afternoon in Seattle. There's more but that's the gist.

I wrote a letter on 9/2 (via e-mail) and waited. After no response I sent an e-mail to Mr. Ashford on 9/17. I received a stock response saying he would respond in the order that it was received.

I realize this is a crazy time given the devastation in the Caribbean and there are lots of itineraries and issues that need to be addressed, so I'm wondering- when is it reasonable to receive a response?

Be patient. 6-8 weeks is not unusual.

Somehow I don't see HAL being responsible for a longer than expected bus ride for a port - airport transfer that uses an outside contractor. Stuff happens. As long as no flight was missed, there is no harm in the delay.

If the OP had plans for activities in Seattle outside that included in the transfer package, it wouldn't be HAL's responsibility.

Due respect, but this seems like pretty small potatoes to be writing the President of the company. If this was the worst thing that happened on my vacation I'd consider it a pretty good vacation.

Are you seriously writing the CEO of a company for such a trivial thing?!

No wonder that his office is swamped and more appropriate and serious issues/ complaints are not dealt with in a timely matter ��

Spot on!!! (y) (y) (y)

The president of any company does not screen public email address mailboxes. At best an assistant weeds out extraneous mail, deleting or forwarded as needed.

For any corporate matter go to the company web site and search for "contact us" links. You will receive an immediate auto acknowledgement that includes a timeframe to investigate and respond. An internal case number will be assigned and paid staff members catalog the case and handle follow up correspondence.

This circumstance will likely be viewed as "things happen". Don't expect anything more than a form letter apology.

I sent a letter by email just after a spring cruise. I was told (not from HAL) a reply could take from between 4-6 weeks and that I would probably receive an answer by snail mail. It actually took just over two weeks and came via the internet - and it was happy mail.

I was told that the first line of inquiry in a situation such as this was to contact Guest Relations. You can email to GuestRelations@hollandamerica.com or call at 1-800-599-8256. I was told that when you email, you will receive an automated reply and then you would hear from them in 2-3 weeks, sometimes a bit longer.

When I went that route, I never got the auto reply nor did I hear anything after a month, so I tried it again with the same results. That is when I cc'd the next one to Mr. Ashford. I heard back in two days and the situation was remedied within a week.

After years of reading these posts, I am inclined to think that an expectation of COMPENSATION is involved.

No I did not ask for and do not expect compensation. What I expect is an acknowledgement that this was egregious and an explanation as to why it happened. I don't think that is unreasonable. I'm not sure why you feel such cynicism- I/we do not complain often about anything.

OP, were you given any explanation for the delay in the bus picking up the guests?

The first "explanation" is that we were waiting for a "special bus". When the natives got restless around the 1 1/2 hour mark they said it was "on the way from the holding area", which was repeated for the next 1 1/2 hours.

I sent a letter via postal service to Orlando Ashford re; Cruise Logs on Sept 15th, his office responded on his behalf on September 21, I got the response in the mail on Monday, Sept 25th. It referenced a case # and thanked me for taking the time to share my thoughts and went on to say that my concerns would be forwarded to senior management.

So, I would expect some response within two weeks. They probably get a lot of e-mail. It would be easy for an assistant to send you an apology but if they are actually following up to see what happened it may take longer. If you had a case number you would at least know that they are handling the issue.

We had an issue with our transfer from the Noordam to the Vancouver airport in early July (Canada Day). HAL had several long lines in the terminal for people going various places. We almost missed our flight.

I can imagine how frustrated you must have been.

No I did not ask for and do not expect compensation. What I expect is an acknowledgement that this was egregious and an explanation as to why it happened. I don't think that is unreasonable. I'm not sure why you feel such cynicism- I/we do not complain often about anything.

My cynicism arises from the oft-expressed entitlement to compensation on these boards. If I neither asked for, nor expected, compensation I would be satisfied with having expressed my dissatisfaction -- wanting an acknowledgement - and nothing more - makes sweating the timing of that acknowledgement seem like a waste of time.