Golden Princess Fleet Exit - 2020

runnerodb83

Not sure if this has been mentioned but looks like the Golden will return to the North American market in 2018 after getting medallion in Singapore and then will eventually maker her way back down under permanently for P&O.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/17855-golden-princess-to-transfer-to-p-o-australia-splendor-staying-with-carnival.html

Interesting article so thanks for posting it. According to the article Carnival Corp is moving to solidify their presence in the Australian market. With Princess bringing another new ship to the fleet that is much larger than the Golden, it would make sense that Carnival Corp would be moving ships between their subsidiary cruise lines and beefing up their presence in Australia.

So would you assume that there will remain a ship based on the West Coast as the Golden has been....and if so, are you saying it will be the 3,000+ passenger Ruby? I am hoping not.....for us the Golden is at the top of large that we care to sail on. But that’s just us - we don’t care for large ships, while others love them.

Thank you for the Information.

So would you assume that there will remain a ship based on the West Coast as the Golden has been....and if so, are you saying it will be the 3,000+ passenger Ruby? I am hoping not.....for us the Golden is at the top of large that we care to sail on. But that’s just us - we don’t care for large ships, while others love them.

Thank you for the Information.

We lost the Golden a long time ago. There have been no "smaller" ships ported out of San Pedro. The Royal is arriving in early 2019, think. I am disappointed that "we" will have only larger ships to cruise on out of San Pedro. Maybe they will leave the Star here. I hope so.

I would say carnival is pulling back on their Aussie growth. Originally the splendor was heading that was which is a 1-off ship for the CCL fleet but a close sister to some of the Costa ships. I believe it's about 3600pax which is 1000 more than Golden.

This is not surprising, with the sun class ships all out of the pcl fleet it was only a matter of time. I envision that the grand will be around for a bit given it had it's semi major refit not too long ago. The star or grand are likely to go next though and eventually the Pacific as the coral is likely to take over as the "small" ship with the island occasionally helping the role.

Soon the core north American fleet will be the crown/ruby/emerald along with the royal 5 (sans the majestic), the Caribbean, and the island and coral.

In my opinion, the koningsdam design would fit well with pcl but it seems too small for pcls newbuild market strategy.

I guess if the Golden is leaving the fleet in 2020 this means P&O is transitioning to Ocean medallion in 2020 as well? Hadn't heard anything of the other Carnival lines being transitioned yet but I can't see them taking it out once they have spent the money putting it in?

The Coral leaves out of San Pedro and is smaller (Panama Canal).

She has very limited runs to the Panama Canal. She mostly does roundtrips from Fort Lauderdale. She briefly had a round trip to Alaska, but that was cancelled. The Island is used for the once a year Panama Canal Round trip from LA (and I won't book a cruise on the Island).

I would be delighted if they home ported the Coral out of San Pedro. At one time, the Coral would do full transits from LA to Fort Lauderdale and return. Not so any longer. There are very few full transits now. Only when they reposition for the Alaska season.

Unfortunately, Princess is eliminating small ship building for the Royal class ships. So sad.

I guess if the Golden is leaving the fleet in 2020 this means P&O is transitioning to Ocean medallion in 2020 as well? Hadn't heard anything of the other Carnival lines being transitioned yet but I can't see them taking it out once they have spent the money putting it in?

They will not remove the medallion work. Princess is the test bed for the medallion service for the Carnival's many cruise lines. The intent all along is to spread the concept to the other cruise lines like HAL, CCL, etc.

The Grand is the oldest of the grand-class ships including the Golden and Star. With the three new Royal-class ships now joining the Princess fleet and three more to be added, I would expect the older ships to be moved to other Carnival Corp cruise lines or sold. The Grand, Golden and Star are old design and most likely expensive to operate so it is time for them to go.

I consider the Coral "smaller" compared to the Regal, Golden, etc. I do know that she does many full PC transits from October through March; some leaving from San Francisco, San Pedro, Fort Lauderdale. We are on the full transit from an Pedro in January.

I consider the Coral "smaller" compared to the Regal, Golden, etc. I do know that she does many full PC transits from October through March; some leaving from San Francisco, San Pedro, Fort Lauderdale. We are on the full transit from an Pedro in January.

I stand corrected. I am so please to see that the Coral will make more full transits than in years past. Just looked it up (which I should have done first).

3 full transits in 2017 and 5 full transits in 2018.

At one time, the Coral would do full transits from LA to Fort Lauderdale and return. Not so any longer. There are very few full transits now.

That's what the coral is doing this winter.

The coral itinerary is 15 days each way, so 1 month round trip.

That may be why there are very few of them.

Sure she looks like a shopping trolley though I don't mind, My longest cruise (28 nights) was by far my favorite cruise experience. Followed by a second trip this year in the same room for 13 nights, I have many fond memories from the Golden and no doubt be back on before she leaves princess.