Beach excursion safety

Fastfredcruise

For those not traveling in a group, how do you safeguard your belongings, camera, money, credit cards when both of you go into the water together. Already have waterproof pouches for cash, credit cards, looking for other ideas.

We purchased a large beach bag that I am able to lock the two zippers together with small combo lock so it can not be opened and then I have a thin plastic coated cable I can put through both handles and use another small combo lock to secure around a chair/table/whatever.

Always keep cash, credit card, etc in waterproof pouches on us but the bag secures glasses, hats, towels, etc.

Someone wants it bad enough they are gonna figure out how to take it, but at least my way they can't just pick it up and walk off with it as they pass by since it is locked down.

Our solution is to leave most of our stuff on the ship. We have waterproof waist pouches for money, ID, etc and a waterproof gopro that is strapped to my wrist in the water. We leave our coverups, sunscreen, etc on our chairs under our towels. I tend to think that having bags with a visible locking chain would just be a target. You don't need that much stuff for half a day at the beach.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First...don't bring so much stuff to the beach! No one wants your clothes or flip flops. No one wants a ratty paperback book. Caribbean beaches are quite narrow...you're never too far from your 'stuff"...so you can take a dip while keeping an eye on your "spot" on the beach. Cash, credit cards, and your ship's key CAN get wet. Put them in your man's velcro pocket on his swim trunks... (Please, discourage him from wearing a speedo...no room for pockets!)....the rest you can leave on the beach.

All we bring is a tote bag for our clothes and towels, a waterproof camera I keep with me, and a waterproof capsule that we keep with us to contain cash, credit cards, and ID. That's really all you need. Bringing expensive phones or tablets onshore is asking for trouble, unless you leave someone watching them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For those not traveling in a group, how do you safeguard your belongings, camera, money, credit cards when both of you go into the water together. Already have waterproof pouches for cash, credit cards, looking for other ideas.

I wear Columbia water shorts that look like a cross between cargo shorts and swimming trunks. They have a zippered pocket on the side that is the perfect place for S&S cards, picture IDs and CC. We never take towels, but usually have a small drawstring bag with a couple bottles of water, sunscreen, hats, small amount of cash, etc. My son will take his iPhone for pictures and uses a 6-digit passcode to make it useless should someone take it. Should someone take it, we would just erase/disable it back on the ship. I would rather use our cheap digital camera, but it is nice to have a phone should something unexpected happen.

Personally I would never take that much gear to the beach, certainly not credit cards. Way too much hassle if they go walkabout. And as has been mentioned, the more you make your belongings look like Fort Knox, the more you make youself and your bag an identifiable target.

The easiest way is to take it in the water with you. Since you already have a pouch for cash, cc, etc. (all of which can get wet anyway) you are really only talking about a camera. The one we take ashore is designed to use for snorkeling and diving anyway. You really don't need to be concerned with other things unless you bring a phone. No one wants your towels, sunscreen or books. The key is to travel light.

As an aside in all the years I have been on CC I do nto recall even one thread where anyone has reported that items were stolen on a beach. On a ship yes, on a beach no.

Take credit cards, ship cards, cash in DHs zipper pocket in his swim trunks. No camera no phone. Leave coverups, shoes and towels on the beach while we are in the water. Never had a problem, but we do keep an eye on them. Sometimes I will take a beach bag with a change of clothes for a more comfortable trip back to the ship. That has never been bothered either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums