Blu Question--Dine as you please vs set seating time?

likestorelax

Blu has a very nice breakfast menu and quite exceptional service....consider this (against all the nay sayers) ...where woud you rather set down for a very nice breakfast on a Celebrity ship that doed not have Blu?

Dinners have always been enjoyable to us, we prefer to mix in Specialty with Blu becasue we like options. We'd do the same if we were in Luminae of the MDR.

Blu is anytime dining no reservations, you will receive a letter in your stateroom explaining the eating arrangements. They will ask you the first night to come at a set time but that is just a formality, you can just ignore it and come whenever you want if something else pops up.

Blu is smart casual every night including the evening chic nights. You will see everything in Blu from shirts and pants to tuxes. For breakfast, shorts are fine, they know people are either going on shore or doing something on the ship and know that people don't want to go back to their room to change after breakfast.

I just returned from a 2 week cruise on the Summit. Contrary to what many people say on this board, chic night is observed in all dining rooms and the theater. This came directly from the daily on the first chic night. It was not poorly worded and subject to misinterpretations, as the web site is. In fact, I as l inquired at guest services and with the Blu maitre 'd. This makes total sense to me, and I was no surprised. However, foks here almost had me convinced otherwise.

We were on the Summit in August, and most people did dress per the dress code. I "assume" those who did not dined at the buffet for dinner. I do not understand why dressing up is such a big deal. My 10 year old grandson hates wearing dressy fitted clothes, but understands that on chic night he must-

We were on the Equinox in a Concierge Class room and went to Blu one night. Atmosphere OK; food boring and service dismal. Went to Specialty Dining for the rest of our 12 night cruise.

They must have changed policy......CC class cabins have never been permitted to dine in Blu over the years. The only

cabin category allowed has been AQ with suite guests (in the old days) allowed on a on a "Space availability" basis only.

So, did you just walk up and they let you dine in there?

They must have changed policy......CC class cabins have never been permitted to dine in Blu over the years. The only

cabin category allowed has been AQ with suite guests (in the old days) allowed on a on a "Space availability" basis only.

So, did you just walk up and they let you dine in there?

Absolutely agree, this is one rule they have never deviated from, remember when we tried to get Lois in when Blu was new. I was told very politely no.

Absolutely agree, this is one rule they have never deviated from, remember when we tried to get Lois in when Blu was new. I was told very politely no.

Hey Don, good morning:)........that seems like a lifetime ago:eek:

I just returned from a 2 week cruise on the Summit. Contrary to what many people say on this board, chic night is observed in all dining rooms and the theater. This came directly from the daily on the first chic night. It was not poorly worded and subject to misinterpretations, as the web site is. In fact, I as l inquired at guest services and with the Blu maitre 'd. This makes total sense to me, and I was no surprised. However, foks here almost had me convinced otherwise.

Another ship going rogue, this is in direct violation of Celebrity written policy. Also, it was not that way last year on Summit.

As indicated in previous posts the web site is very clear on this subject.

We were on the Summit in August, and most people did dress per the dress code. I "assume" those who did not dined at the buffet for dinner. I do not understand why dressing up is such a big deal. My 10 year old grandson hates wearing dressy fitted clothes, but understands that on chic night he must-

It is a problem when the ship doesn't follow the rules and you follow the written policy and you don't bring the proper clothes.

If anyone has a problem with this issue all you have to do is go to each individual restaurant you wish to eat in and it is indicated what the dress code is for that restaurant. To save you time, all the restaurants have smart casual as their dress code except for the Main Dining Room which says varies indicating it could be smart casual or evening chic.

It's a shame that an issue such as this is brought back because one of the ships decides to go rogue on the rules that Celebrity sets down. This hasn't been something that has been argued about for several years.

If anyone has a problem with this issue all you have to do is go to each individual restaurant you wish to eat in and it is indicated what the dress code is for that restaurant. To save you time, all the restaurants have smart casual as their dress code except for the Main Dining Room which says varies indicating it could be smart casual or evening chic.

It's a shame that an issue such as this is brought back because one of the ships decides to go rogue on the rules that Celebrity sets down. This hasn't been something that has been argued about for several years.

Sorry, first paragraph should read go to the website and check the restaurants.

Blu has a very nice breakfast menu and quite exceptional service....consider this (against all the nay sayers) ...where woud you rather set down for a very nice breakfast on a Celebrity ship that doed not have Blu?

Dinners have always been enjoyable to us, we prefer to mix in Specialty with Blu becasue we like options. We'd do the same if we were in Luminae of the MDR.

My choice 2 weeks ago was to go to the buffet after trying Blu for breakfast and having one of the most dreadful meals of my life in Blu. Yes I know what I would do if they closed Blu for breakfast, just say that everyone had discovered what awful service and food they serve there.

We did Blu for the first time last week on the Infinity. The dinners were fantastic most nights. we only went once for breakfast mainly due to the limited time they are open. Most mornings it was only 1.5 hours. The breakfast we got was fine, really nothing special and not much different the the MDR breakfast. My eggs were cooked perfectly, the potatoes I ordered were good and the bacon was typical ship bacon (not great). So we did the OVC for breakfast most days where they actually had great black pudding for once (usually it's horrible). If I can get a reasonable deal on Aqua I'll do it again, loved the small quieter dining room and the better quality dinners.

Food really isn't subjective and that's why bad restaurants go out of business and good ones stick around. You can get eggs to order at the buffet that will be as good or better than in Blu (where I sent mine back once because they failed to scramble my scrambled eggs). Blu was always 3/4 or more empty when we stopped by for breakfast, even on a slow port day.

Recently stayed in Aqua and went to Blu once for breakfast. I ordered the pancakes and they were terrible. So much so, I just didn't want to eat them.

My companion was finished, so I ate my fruit and left. I would have tried a=gain, but we never got up early enough for breakfast.

Another ship going rogue, this is in direct violation of Celebrity written policy. Also, it was not that way last year on Summit.

As indicated in previous posts the web site is very clear on this subject.

Actually, I think the website phrasing is subject to interpretation. Which is why I was not shocked to read the daily. Very clearly stated. Also, very clearly confirmed. I did not ask about all ships, but I suspect all are the same.

Incidentally, this is how people dressed. My cruise this Oct, the average age must have been over 60. On two of our chic nights (there were 3) we were in Blu and the third in Tuscan. Every night the most casual I saw was blazers and dress shirts on men (however most in suits and several in tuxes) and long dresses or cocktails dresses or sparkly tops with dress slacks for women. One man, younger than most maybe 45, wore jeans and a plaid shirt.

So...for those that ask what to expect....that's it. Remebr ths was a 14 days cruise, after school started. few younger people.

BLU on Inf last week had great french toast, omelets made to order etc...went as much as we could but for early days we hit the buffet.,,waffles were good,

Dinner menu in BLU...way too much space devoted to BLU cocktails...$12 each so an upcharge with Classic..we skipped those.

Salads and soups ( or was it appetizers?) combined in one area as starters to make room for the oversized list if drinks, and salad entree mixed with reg ones, A few new entries were noted,,.one was a pork dish that dh tried and enjoyed, nothibg too exciting, Seafood was nicely cooked and presented, The lobster tails were huge and tasted great! But the pheasant, squab and quail are still frequent fliers! Overall the kitchen and service were very good,

We ate in MDR 1st night to get the prime rib. BLU usually has filet mignon 1st nite.. in MDR we had a nice aft view table, great service and excellent Prime Rib.., learned we could have had same in BLU...but did not know that!

BLU is definitely worth it for the breakfast peace and quiet,, and dinner ambiance.

PS

on our cruise there was alot of merging AQ and Concierge guests for events and such but not boarding .,.and did not hear of any Concierge guests dining in BLU..only suite guests for breakfast and subj to availability for dinner,,,

On a sep note...the Sr Officers Party was open to most Cap Club members above the first tier,,,so not very special for Elite and E + It was overcrowded with only three types of awful canapes! Why have 2 sep parties if almost everyone can do both????

Actually, I think the website phrasing is subject to interpretation. Which is why I was not shocked to read the daily. Very clearly stated. Also, very clearly confirmed. I did not ask about all ships, but I suspect all are the same.

Incidentally, this is how people dressed. My cruise this Oct, the average age must have been over 60. On two of our chic nights (there were 3) we were in Blu and the third in Tuscan. Every night the most casual I saw was blazers and dress shirts on men (however most in suits and several in tuxes) and long dresses or cocktails dresses or sparkly tops with dress slacks for women. One man, younger than most maybe 45, wore jeans and a plaid shirt.

So...for those that ask what to expect....that's it. Remebr ths was a 14 days cruise, after school started. few younger people.

Another instance of a ship going rogue 3 evening chic nights when web site clearly states on all cruise of 7 nights or more there shall be two.

A couple of years ago one of the ships went rogue and the Celebrity Cruises poster stated they would have it corrected and it was.

Also, all specialty including Blu have been smart casual for several years. I did Alaska a few years ago under the old dress code and never wore a jacket, smart casual every night. Same on Summit to Bermuda last year.

Edited by dkjretired

I am very surprised at all the posts trashing Blu, especially for breakfast. We have sailed in AQ probably 7 or 8 times in the past couple of years on various ships (Connie not being one of them). I could count the bad meals on one hand cutting off a couple of fingers. I particularly like the smaller venue and more relaxing personal service in the morning (my only complaint is that particularly on sea days I think it should be open longer - on my last cruise it closed at 8:30 a couple of days, but then so did the MDR and main buffet). Have found the dinners good to very good to excellent. Wish there were more choices for the red wines with premium package but that is a ship-wide problem IMHO. I am not sure you can use the less crowding in the mornings in Blu as an indication that food is bad. I suspect in most cases, it is more an indication that people were out late having a good time and chose to sleep in (or on shore days, are already out enjoying themselves).

To anyone who goes one day, has a problem, and never goes back I suggest you may be missing out. Everything can have a blip now and then, but ongoing issues are rare. Some will never like Blu regardless - to each their own tastes. I can only share my own opinion and experiences.

Another instance of a ship going rogue 3 evening chic nights when web site clearly states on all cruise of 7 nights or more there shall be two.

A couple of years ago one of the ships went rogue and the Celebrity Cruises poster stated they would have it corrected and it was.

Also, all specialty including Blu have been smart casual for several years. I did Alaska a few years ago under the old dress code and never wore a jacket, smart casual every night. Same on Summit to Bermuda last year.

Well, I think you are wrong.. So we will have to agree to disagree.

Well, I think you are wrong.. So we will have to agree to disagree.

Don is absolutely NOT wrong.

Blu and Luminae have been Smart Casual since their inception. Never has changed over the years. And I have absolutely NO intention of dressing beyond my normal smart casual attire in either Blu or Luminae. If you want to get dressed up, knock yourself out, I support you completely but no way am I going to conform to a "code" that has been simply made up (and which I have never seen on 25+ =X= cruises) on a single ship.

And wonder why the attire you experienced in Blu I've never experienced in hundreds of days on ships. Never. And you talked about a "14 day cruise." Most of ours B2Bs and are a total of 21-30 days, so that doesn't fly. And we never sail in the Caribbean. Europe/Asia/TAs/SA only.

In the early years, Murano was NOT Smart Casual. If a male did not wear a jacket on the formal nights, one was provided by the maitre d'. I can tell you that from experience. If you did not wear it, it was placed on the back of your chair.

In the early years, Murano was NOT Smart Casual. If a male did not wear a jacket on the formal nights, one was provided by the maitre d'. I can tell you that from experience. If you did not wear it, it was placed on the back of your chair.

Very true.

But not sure what that has to do with a discussion focused on dress 10 years later. There were also Formal, Semi-formal and casual (not "smart casual") nights 15 or so years ago. Also long gone. Times change. And thankfully, get more in tune with modern life.

To anyone who goes one day, has a problem, and never goes back I suggest you may be missing out. Everything can have a blip now and then, but ongoing issues are rare. Some will never like Blu regardless - to each their own tastes. I can only share my own opinion and experiences.

So I have the worst breakfast I have ever been served and you want me to go back for more of that trash? Sorry I do not have masochistic tendencies.