Blu Question--Dine as you please vs set seating time?

likestorelax

Onboard Equinox right now. Had a fantastic dinner at Blu. We received cards in our room stating when we should show up. We ignored the suggested times and showed up around 6:10. The place was three-quarters full already. By seven, I noticed there was a lot me at the door and the place appeared full. By 7:30, it was as quarter empty. All four of us enjoyed out short ribs, dorade fish, and chicken, as well as the specialty Blu cocktails. Great service, too, provided by Nona.

The worst thing I have eaten on Celebrity was Kobe meatloaf in Blu.

Kobe meatloaf?!? Lol, Celebrity is really jumping the shark with their false advertising. I think you're more likely to encounter a unicorn on a Celebrity cruise than Kobe meatloaf. :rolleyes:

Kobe meatloaf?!? Lol, Celebrity is really jumping the shark with their false advertising. I think you're more likely to encounter a unicorn on a Celebrity cruise than Kobe meatloaf. :rolleyes:

I recall the Kobe style meatloaf being offered in 2014 in Blu. Never tried it. But they did call it Kobe meatloaf. Hmm, remember the Kobe "style" pool burgers this past July? [emoji23]

I'm really ok with meatloaf in general. I remember it being about 2 inches around and there were 2 of them. It looked wet, If you have ever seen Fancy Feast cat food. It comes in a small round tin. I did try one of them. I know someone here on CC said their husband love the Kobe Meatloaf. To each their own.

I agree, but English back bacon should not be served with brown grease all over it and rolled into a ball, together with what had been described on the menu as 'breakfast sausage' which turned out to be a roll of sausage meat that when one pressed it, it was like a sponge and poured brown grease.

I was also surprised the way muesli was served, like cold porridge, we Brits have it crunchy, but it lacked any of the bits that one could get in the buffet. So however much of a crush we went to the buffet for breakfast, because we could see what we were getting.

Also to have to eat, which we could, from the MDR menu for two evening meals said what we thought of the Blu menu. Good thing about Blu was its size, we liked the small nature of it. But if I were to try and advise anyone , I would tell them to skip AQ and Blu book concierge and spend the money in speciality restaurants instead of paying inflated AQ prices with iffy cabins for noise.

We cruised AQ class several times and always found BLU to have excellent service and above average food both at breakfast and dinner. Lunch is never served in BLU. We now cruise suite class and eat in Luminaire, but sometimes have dinner in BLU if the menu offers something we enjoy. BLU is also considerably more quiet than MDR. My spouse likes English back bacon and has never had it served in the manner you described. I rarely order sausage, but never had anything like your experience. I do agree with something you said about "specialty restaurants." Murano, our personal favorite, is as close to 5 star as you will find aboard any ship!:champagne-toast:

We cruised AQ class several times and always found BLU to have excellent service and above average food both at breakfast and dinner. Lunch is never served in BLU. We now cruise suite class and eat in Luminaire, but sometimes have dinner in BLU if the menu offers something we enjoy. BLU is also considerably more quiet than MDR. My spouse likes English back bacon and has never had it served in the manner you described. I rarely order sausage, but never had anything like your experience. I do agree with something you said about "specialty restaurants." Murano, our personal favorite, is as close to 5 star as you will find aboard any ship!:champagne-toast:

It might have been an exception, but unfortunately it tainted my view of breakfasts in Blu so much I would not return. It was also soooo sloooow, I do not mind a leisurely breakfast, but and hour for cereals and a plate of food is just ridiculous

As I said, we then used the buffet because I could see when the back bacon was worth considering eating. Have to say that I never saw it being in very good shape, but you can't keep bacon in the conditions that they tried to do so. I had this idea about Blu that if they prepared eggs as you wanted them, they might also have done so with the bacon, but far from it. It is one of the worst places, Blu or the buffet, I have ever been to for how bacon has been served and that includes some of the very cheap buffet style cafes in the UK. Have been served some lovely bacon with other cruise lines.

It is very much up in the air as to if we sail with them again, highly unlikely, but if an itinerary and price did tempt me to sail with them, AQ would definitely not be a contender.

I'm really ok with meatloaf in general. I remember it being about 2 inches around and there were 2 of them. It looked wet, If you have ever seen Fancy Feast cat food. It comes in a small round tin. I did try one of them. I know someone here on CC said their husband love the Kobe Meatloaf. To each their own.

The issue is not with offering meatloaf, but with falsely referring to it as Kobe. Kobe beef is scarcely available outside of Japan, costs approximately $30/ounce and is NEVER used as meatloaf. Referring to it as Kobe would be illegal in the US (and likely in the UK as well based on what people said on a thread where Celebrity was falsely advertising upcharge burgers as Kobe beef). Celebrity really needs to stop this BS practice of lying about their beef.

We typically sail in suites and on our last summit cruise many babies crying and young children runnung around, with parents who just didn't remove the children from the dining room in luminae. This was very disturbing to other guests trying to enjoy dinner. Imo the best part of Blu is that you are unlikely to see kids carrying on as blu cabins are for two.

We try to only dine in specialty restaurants also. We sail in suites as we like the added space in the cabin, and we enjoy Michael's club.

We do not have any complaints about our food on cruises when we ate in Blu. The quite was the best part!! We eat breakfast as soon as they open.. so maybe it is better when they are not rushed. Same with dinner .. we are at the door waiting

It might have been an exception, but unfortunately it tainted my view of breakfasts in Blu so much I would not return. It was also soooo sloooow, I do not mind a leisurely breakfast, but and hour for cereals and a plate of food is just ridiculous

As I said, we then used the buffet because I could see when the back bacon was worth considering eating. Have to say that I never saw it being in very good shape, but you can't keep bacon in the conditions that they tried to do so. I had this idea about Blu that if they prepared eggs as you wanted them, they might also have done so with the bacon, but far from it. It is one of the worst places, Blu or the buffet, I have ever been to for how bacon has been served and that includes some of the very cheap buffet style cafes in the UK. Have been served some lovely bacon with other cruise lines.

It is very much up in the air as to if we sail with them again, highly unlikely, but if an itinerary and price did tempt me to sail with them, AQ would definitely not be a contender.

Are you really basing your entire cruise line choice on the perceived quality and preparation of their bacon?? [emoji50] [emoji50]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Are you really basing your entire cruise line choice on the perceived quality and preparation of their bacon?? [emoji50] [emoji50]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

No that was just one factor, but my food when I am aboard id important.

But do you want me to tell you about the tired stateroom with doors that were falling off, carpets word, tired settee and shower that leaked all over the bathroom floor and had done for some time according to a review much earlier.

Do you want me to underscore the fact that we ate several times off the MDR menu and they were the best meals and what does that say for the extra money we paid for Blu.

Perhaps you want me to tell you about feeling distinctly unwelcome in Persian Gardens, which on M Class are pathetic and anyone who pays needs their head examining.

Or that for a luxury experience of travelling we used Jet Set Sail and we had to stand out in the rain to put our luggage into check in.

Or but I don't want to waste any more of the skin on my finger ends.

No that was just one factor, but my food when I am aboard id important.

But do you want me to tell you about the tired stateroom with doors that were falling off, carpets word, tired settee and shower that leaked all over the bathroom floor and had done for some time according to a review much earlier.

Do you want me to underscore the fact that we ate several times off the MDR menu and they were the best meals and what does that say for the extra money we paid for Blu.

Perhaps you want me to tell you about feeling distinctly unwelcome in Persian Gardens, which on M Class are pathetic and anyone who pays needs their head examining.

Or that for a luxury experience of travelling we used Jet Set Sail and we had to stand out in the rain to put our luggage into check in.

Or but I don't want to waste any more of the skin on my finger ends.

Stand in the rain at check in of luggage, all I need to know, about the third world problem

Onboard Equinox right now. Had a fantastic dinner at Blu. We received cards in our room stating when we should show up. We ignored the suggested times and showed up around 6:10. The place was three-quarters full already. By seven, I noticed there was a lot me at the door and the place appeared full. By 7:30, it was as quarter empty. All four of us enjoyed out short ribs, dorade fish, and chicken, as well as the specialty Blu cocktails. Great service, too, provided by Nona.

Say hi to Reymond and Budi our excellent waiters on the previous cruise

Larry, Nan, Bob & Barbara

I met Kobe, he is the Chef and he made it using his recipe. 🤥.

I like the way that they describe the entrees or items on the menu. They try to make something sound more exotic than it is with all the adjectives. Although I don’t know what they were thinking with having “Pork and Beans” as a entree in Blu.

I made the mistake of trying sweet bread after getting tired of all of the other appetizers, will stick to snails, frog legs, pate, steak tartare, Carpaccio, and bird nest or shark fin soup. 🙄

Happy crusing 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅

Happy cruising 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅

I met Kobe, he is the Chef and he made it using his recipe. 🤥.

I like the way that they describe the entrees or items on the menu. They try to make something sound more exotic than it is with all the adjectives. Although I don’t know what they were thinking with having “Pork and Beans” as a entree in Blu.

I made the mistake of trying sweet bread after getting tired of all of the other appetizers, will stick to snails, frog legs, pate, steak tartare, Carpaccio, and bird nest or shark fin soup. 🙄

Happy crusing 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅

Happy cruising 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅

I hope you realised what sweetbreads are on the bull!

BLU on Infinity Oct 1 cruise was excellent for beakfast. Nice to sit down at a window view seat and have juice, pastries and be served a cooked to order meal..French Toast, Salmon Plate, omelets. Fritata, warm toast, Museli, etc

Only complaint for us is the bitter Lavazza Coffee..I know some like it but to us it tastes bitter and burned..we use extra sweetener but even then...ugh!

I hope you realised what sweetbreads are on the bull!

Unless I am totally mistaking you, Sweetbreads are the thymus and/or pancreas from a bovine. Some people have misconceptions of what they are, especially when they refer to a "bull". Sweetbreads may be an acquired taste, and prep is very important, but they do not originate below the "waist" of a steer.

Unless I am totally mistaking you, Sweetbreads are the thymus and/or pancreas from a bovine. Some people have misconceptions of what they are, especially when they refer to a "bull". Sweetbreads may be an acquired taste, and prep is very important, but they do not originate below the "waist" of a steer.

You are correct.

I loved the sweetbreads as an appetizer so much my last time in Blu that I ordered them for dessert as well! It's one of my favourite menu items in Blu when they're cooked well. :o

You can believe what you like, it's a free world.

We were on the Equinox in a Concierge Class room and went to Blu one night. Atmosphere OK; food boring and service dismal. Went to Specialty Dining for the rest of our 12 night cruise.

This is the first I've heard of anyone other than AQ or suite class being allowed into Blu. I'm surprised you were allowed to dine there.