Onboard Entertainment?

markannab

Hi everyone

I wonder if you could help me out. My wife and I are about to take on the role of being guest speakers - 50's rock 'n' roll dance teaching - onboard a number of cruise lines via an agent. (The agent manages a number of cruise lines and we pick which individual cruises we'd like to be guest speakers on.

We are familiar with age groups on R.C. and P&O and that such classes work well in view of the age groups present. But we have never been on a Celebrity cruise. We have been told the age group tends to be older. Of course, I know the average age varies depending on the cruise length, etc. But I wonder, in your opinion, if we would find two things on board:

1. A good number of cruisers who would jump at the chance to participate in, specifically, rock 'n' roll dance classes; and

2. One or more multi-piece bands who play, among other things, some 50's rock 'n' roll.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark.

I would say the average age is 60+ so the ideal age. I can only recall one band that is the band that plays for the shows in the theatre. Some of those musicians play in venue's around the ship. They seem to be very versatile so have no problem playing rock & roll.

The age group does seem to vary depending on time of the year and length of cruise. But I would think you would find enough folks interested as we usually see a spirited group taking any kind of dance classes that might be offered. As to live music? Good luck. It seems like Celebrity has really cut-back on their entertainment budget which impacts music. There might be a band (or just the ship;s band) that could handle playing some rock, but they may well be restricted by their contract....as to how often they must perform. Most dance classes we have seen on cruises are accompanied by recorded music. Perhaps a question you might ask is whether you can get the use of the ship's DJ (there is always a member of the Cruise Director staff that works as a DJ late at night) for your classes.

Hank

Thankyou. I wouldn't need live music for the classes - I use a wireless MP3 player clipped to my belt. The idea of a band is partly for my wife and I to dance to since we wouldn't enjoy a cruise where we teach dance but don't get to dance ourselves. But, also, we like to encourage those who participate in classes to get up the nerve to jump on the dance floor with their new moves before the cruise is finished. Recorded music just isn't the same.

Hi everyone

I wonder if you could help me out. My wife and I are about to take on the role of being guest speakers - 50's rock 'n' roll dance teaching - onboard a number of cruise lines via an agent. (The agent manages a number of cruise lines and we pick which individual cruises we'd like to be guest speakers on.

We are familiar with age groups on R.C. and P&O and that such classes work well in view of the age groups present. But we have never been on a Celebrity cruise. We have been told the age group tends to be older. Of course, I know the average age varies depending on the cruise length, etc. But I wonder, in your opinion, if we would find two things on board:

1. A good number of cruisers who would jump at the chance to participate in, specifically, rock 'n' roll dance classes; and

2. One or more multi-piece bands who play, among other things, some 50's rock 'n' roll.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark.

We too are dancers albeit retired ballroom. We have found over all the lines we have been on, there is always an enthusiastic bunch of people who love to give any sort of dancing a try. Most of the bands will do some sets of rock and roll. Celebrity seem to do much more than other lines we have tried. enjoy.

Thankyou. I wouldn't need live music for the classes - I use a wireless MP3 player clipped to my belt. The idea of a band is partly for my wife and I to dance to since we wouldn't enjoy a cruise where we teach dance but don't get to dance ourselves. But, also, we like to encourage those who participate in classes to get up the nerve to jump on the dance floor with their new moves before the cruise is finished. Recorded music just isn't the same.

On most of our Celebrity cruises (for the past 6 years we have taken 14 day Caribbean cruises on an S-Class ship (i.e Eclipse) there was not an awful lot of dancers. They do have their disco (Quasar) which is an OK room...but it was usually pretty empty after 10....when the DJ was working. There were sometimes more staff (many from the onboard shops) in that disco then passengers. On Deck 15 (forward) they have the beautiful Sky Observation Lounge...where there is usually a band playing some sets after 9. The few times we went up to this venue there were 20+ souls dancing. But with all the cut-backs one wonders if they are even going to have bands up in this venue in the future. We think this is the best dancing venue on the S-Class ships...and since its isolated on a high deck they do not have to be concerned with late night noise.

Hank

Hi Mark

My daughter is currently the entertainment manager aboard Millennium, and might be able to give you the assurances you are seeking.

If you would like me to pass on your email address I will be happy to do so, but understand if you are reluctant to post it on this forum.

As a dancer myself I would certainly attend your classes, but I would have to say Celebrity ships are not that great for dance space compared with P&O and Princess.

Peter

I would say the average age is 60+ so the ideal age. I can only recall one band that is the band that plays for the shows in the theatre. Some of those musicians play in venue's around the ship. They seem to be very versatile so have no problem playing rock & roll.

Not in our experience. The demographics range from younger with families to older and retired, but the average is not nearly that high. A lot depends on the particular itinerary in terms of length, region, season, etc. But to say the average age is 60+ is IMO is exaggerated and an incorrect generalization. I think that would likely more apply to HAL.

Hi Peter, I'm not too keen on my email address being online but I'll post this one which isn't used much. If you wouldn't mind copying it, letting me know, then I'll delete it from the forum. It would be great if your daughter was able to help me deal directly with Celebrity for guest speaking rather than through expensive agents (most will deal directly with speakers). Thanks again. My address is: enquiries3@worldofprinting.com

"Rock and Roll" isn't always "50's" music...it's pretty much anything with a good back beat! Totally danceable and fun! In N. Myrtle Beach, rock & roll, a touch of blues, some motown, etc...all get HUGE numbers of dancers.....from mid-20's to 80's!! So much fun!

Music does get "updated" in that some of the music is newer material. But not everyone - not even all young ones - prefer the latest music over older music. So, they keep a bit of everything. I'm in my forties and I'll happily listen to 50's/60's rock. I play in a band and was performing last night. We do music ranging from 50's material through to Ed Sheeran and faster new songs. You can guess which songs filled the dance floor! :-)

"Rock and Roll" isn't always "50's" music...it's pretty much anything with a good back beat! Totally danceable and fun! In N. Myrtle Beach, rock & roll, a touch of blues, some motown, etc...all get HUGE numbers of dancers.....from mid-20's to 80's!! So much fun!

I agree rock and roll is not always 50's music but the original post was about 50's music. There are lots more decades of rock music I would enjoy.

Many folks in wheelchairs, scooters and with canes and walkers on our recent X cruise...but there were some younger folks in their 60s ...like us and, then the much younger set. Variety but skewed old.. We know 50s music as oldies.....but not our generation!

Saw more foxtrot and waltz than Lindy or later ! Those who grew up with rock and roll do not need lessons...not sure if younger cruisers on X would have an interest, but it might liven things up a bit,..anything but rap!

The silent disco event was very popular..has a variety of genres, and the Billy Joel tribute singer was well attended. Sometimes they have a 60s 70s 80s night so maybe lessons geared to those events might stir interest,

Good luck with your project!

"Those who grew up with rock and roll do not need lessons"? :-) I can understand why you might say that. People from that era were quick to get on the dance floor. But, usually, that was not to dance specific rock 'n' roll moves. If they did, they may have known four or five moves that they repeated (Watching an episode of Happy Days is a classic example). Nothing wrong with that.

However, there are literally hundreds of moves that can be learned. Our teacher, dancing for many, many years, knows around 200. Four years of specific lessons and heaps of practice taught my wife and I around 75. I feel the majority of people growing up in the 50's didn't invest so much time into dance that they have nothing to learn now. And, of course, there are the many younger ones (including teenagers and those in their 20's) who are discovering the fun of (possibly) dressing up for a night out and learning the skill of dancing specific moves.

I guess that, when considering my original question about typical ages of those onboard, the question isn't about how many might be interested (we know people from all age groups join in) but whether a large number are not physically able due to the sad effects of aging. We do slow the dance lessons right down and teach easy moves. Nonetheless, we find that those who are advanced in years tend to come and watch - possibly reliving their youth - rather than actually participate.

What are you planning on doing? Give dance lessons or give lectures about rock and roll?

During the cruise the on board production show dancers give various dance lessons. One of them being swing. Most cruise lines do this and have been doing it for a long time. There are maybe 30 max that attend those classes.

Don’t assume that the bands will be available to play for you. They have a contract. The same with the members of the band that plays in the theater. They have a contract. If you want them to play for your activity you would have to do a individual contract with them and make some kind of payment arrangements. They may be required to play for some guest entertainers but like everyone they don’t do extra work for free.

Chances are all you will be doing is a couple of lectures in Celebrity Central that is a very small theater like most of the guest lectures do. The crowds are small and the lecture is filmed and shown for many days on the in cabin TV. Any passenger that missed it will have the chance to see it and also decide if they want to attend your future lectures or just keep watching on the TV.

I would just book the cruises that have what appeals to you and don’t worry about the other stuff.

Don’t forget to have a book, DVDs or CDs to sell. 🤑🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅

We'll be giving lessons; not lectures. We've already been doing it unofficially and, based upon the success, been asked by one line to become official guest speakers with most or all costs covered. It is true that either staff or show dancers give lessons. In 10 cruises, I'm yet to find a staff member or show dancer who is a teacher. Bear in mind, a show dancer can be the world's best . . . but have no idea about teaching. We experienced this on our last cruise! By contrast, in addition to dancing for pleasure ourselves, we are teachers. Quite a difference. It's true, around 30 is what seems to be expected. In addition, good numbers of older ones come to watch, so it serves as entertainment for them which the cruise lines are happy about.

As regards bands, I don't want them to play for us. Teaching dance goes hand in hand with the opportunity for students - if they so wish - to have something to dance to in the evenings - hence my question about the presence of bands.

You mention "a couple of lectures" - or, in our case, classes. No, classes are numbered, generally, according to the number of sea days. Therefore, there could be seven, eight or nine classes of up to an hour each. The classes we've held thus far have, all but on one occasion, been held on the main theatre stage. The remaining one was assigned to the main dance floor.

To clarify, my question on this forum wasn't an initial enquiry about possibly giving lessons onboard. We've already given them, have experience in doing so, and are expanding onto other lines. The question related to us deciding which lines to accept as we currently have five to choose from.

We are in 70s, social ballroom and Latin dancers who did some amateur competition in international ballroom a long time ago. We find few places on the ship with dance floors large enough. S ships seem better than M for this. No real interest in rock and roll in any case.