Child falls 2 stories in ship at port

LMaxwell

Since it was debarkation day, it seems there would've been a lot of people around. I would think there would be someone who witnessed this tragedy. Also wonder what her injuries were that she died so quickly. I know of two people personally who sustained head injuries from falling from more than 20 feet, both survived their fall but both have traumatic brain injuries. One of the incidents was over five years ago and the other was over one year ago, but both are still alive.

In the big picture, I suppose it doesn't matter how she fell or even what the cause of death was. What matters is that this family has lost their precious baby. My heart goes out to them.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

She hit the table that sits in front of the couches and then fell to the floor. They had stopped doing CPR before they left the ship, she didn’t have a neck or back brace on either. I would say by what I seen on the floor she died before she was taken off the ship.

Horrible tragedy. Condolences to the family.

Prayers for this family. Losing a child is the hardest loss in life. As a former ER nurse I can tell you that so many loving, caring parents have started that " they only looked away for a minute" or " my child has never done anything like that before." I don't know any parent that has never turned their head or seen their child do at least one stupid thing for the first time. Children are inquisitive and impulsive and no matter how carefully you watch them, things happen quickly.

Those of you who believe this could never happen to you need not challenge the fates. Instead grab that healthy, living child of yours into the biggest embrace and hold on tight. Love them, teach them, and pray that if they ever step in front of a moving vehicle some one reaches out a pair of hands to pull them back to safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I couldn't have said better.

Prayers for this family. Losing a child is the hardest loss in life. As a former ER nurse I can tell you that so many loving, caring parents have started that " they only looked away for a minute" or " my child has never done anything like that before." I don't know any parent that has never turned their head or seen their child do at least one stupid thing for the first time. Children are inquisitive and impulsive and no matter how carefully you watch them, things happen quickly.

Those of you who believe this could never happen to you need not challenge the fates. Instead grab that healthy, living child of yours into the biggest embrace and hold on tight. Love them, teach them, and pray that if they ever step in front of a moving vehicle some one reaches out a pair of hands to pull them back to safety.

Amen. It only takes a second.

I don't know how I didn't manage to kill myself as a kid, I was always climbing up and leaping off

something . You just have no idea that anything could go wrong. I bet she just jumped up to sit on the rail, and......

The girl passed away. So incredibly sad. I don't understand how this could happen.

Neither do I. My wife and I have a precious granddaughter this age. I am speechless, thinking about HOW we could come too terms with such a horrible loss, I hope they (CCL security and Miami P.D.) can determine WHAT and HOW this happened. I know kids can get carried away, running, laughing, playing, just being kids. They do not see 'danger' anywhere.

Mac

Weird... not sure why pic won’t show up.

imagepng

It did show up initially. Your problem is that Photobucket has revised their user agreement and to use third party hosting you have to upgrade your account at $400/yr. Here is one thread about it:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2516067

To get pictures you had already posted that are no longer visable, google 'photobucket embed fix' and choose the patch for the browser you are using. I have moved my photo hosting to Shutterfly. EM

If I may interrupt for a moment please.........my 93 year old mother passed last year and I was her caretaker. A few days before she died she told me a story and cried about witnessing a drowning when she was quite young. My mother and her friend were about 3 or 4 years old. I asked my mother why she didn't help, grab a branch or scream or anything. My mother said she could not swim and was frozen with fright and just watched her friend drown.

I never heard this story before, I watched my mother cry with quilt, she kept this story to herself for 90 years. How her heart must have ached all these years. She never learned to swim.:')

I don't know what this has to do with this 8 year old girl, I just wanted to share it,..........maybe the guilt thing.

What do you people think of kids <6yo on leashes?

I was a "wanderer" as a small child (I'm 71 now) and wore a leather harness and leash when in possibly dangerous situations (e.g., an amusement park). Don't think it caused any psychological damage. A few years ago, there was a small boy a few cabins away on a cruise. The minute the cabin door would open, he was off and running down the hall toward the staircase. A few minutes later, on would go the cute little stuffed animal "backpack" with a leash attached. Kept him safe.

How is the mood around the ship? It’s always sad when vacation is over but yesterday had a whole different feel about it, I witnessed many people praying and several starring at the lobby with tears in their eyes. I don’t know how Dustin and his staff would be able to be their usual happy selves at sail away when this happened just hours before.

It’s still like a normal cruise with the exception of whenever I go to the lobby and am in the glass elevators I can’t help but look in that area and feel sad. You can tell it’s on other people’s minds too because they stand at the corner and look down. They opened up the couch and table that were cordoned off today. I don’t think I can bring myself to sit there.

This was not due to faulty railings or by someone bumping her. It was due to her doing something intentionally that she shouldn’t have been. While it was an “accident”, it’s not something that one should be concerned about happening to them when following the rules or simply leaning against the rail.

It did show up initially. Your problem is that Photobucket has revised their user agreement and to use third party hosting you have to upgrade your account at $400/yr. Here is one thread about it:

To get pictures you had already posted that are no longer visable, google 'photobucket embed fix' and choose the patch for the browser you are using. I have moved my photo hosting to Shutterfly. EM

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Skipped over several posts in this thread because the school debate and putting kids on leashes have nothing to do with anything.

According to this article, she fell 2 stories and the family thinks possibly a crowd of people leaving an elevator had something to do with her falling. Says the family is planning legal action. RIP poor baby :(

(warning: article has possibly triggering photo. Not graphic, but if you are sensitive, you may not want to click)

https://www.local10.com/news/local/miami/family-of-girl-who-fell-to-death-on-cruise-ship-searching-for-answers

I was a "wanderer" as a small child (I'm 71 now) and wore a leather harness and leash when in possibly dangerous situations (e.g., an amusement park). Don't think it caused any psychological damage. A few years ago, there was a small boy a few cabins away on a cruise. The minute the cabin door would open, he was off and running down the hall toward the staircase. A few minutes later, on would go the cute little stuffed animal "backpack" with a leash attached. Kept him safe.

My brother was born in 1946. Back after WWII, there was limited housing. My father traveled where the work was. Often times they lived in a trailer park while my mother took care of my brother and new born sister. They lived by railroad tracks. He was 2 years old, energetic and loved to run. My mother had to tether him with a leash to the clothesline while she hung up clothes. A couple of people came unglued that she did that. But heh, he didn't get hit by a train. The village had no clue.

Skipped over several posts in this thread because the school debate and putting kids on leashes have nothing to do with anything.

According to this article, she fell 2 stories and the family thinks possibly a crowd of people leaving an elevator had something to do with her falling. Says the family is planning legal action. RIP poor baby :(

(warning: article has possibly triggering photo. Not graphic, but if you are sensitive, you may not want to click)

https://www.local10.com/news/local/miami/family-of-girl-who-fell-to-death-on-cruise-ship-searching-for-answers

Hmm... Printed here some family members think pushing and shoving at the elevators caused her to go over the railing. Surly there are witnesses who saw her go over the railing. Hopefully the facts will be made public to quite the rumors.

Ciao

Oh my gosh thank you so much it worked!!

good to know. no kids yet, but these things cross my mind.

My brother was born in 1946. Back after WWII, there was limited housing. My father traveled where the work was. Often times they lived in a trailer park while my mother took care of my brother and new born sister. They lived by railroad tracks. He was 2 years old, energetic and loved to run. My mother had to tether him with a leash to the clothesline while she hung up clothes. A couple of people came unglued that she did that. But heh, he didn't get hit by a train. The village had no clue.

gotta keep em safe! :D

It is kind of disturbing to hear someone say they will pursue "some kind" of legal action when he does not even know what happened. He certainly does not seem heart broken.

Yeah that article adds a couple dimensions.

Another is that mom was caring for a newborn at the same time. Boyfriend was with her, but it’s not clear if he was taking on any parental responsibilities.

To say that people bumped into her and caused her to fall over the railing implies that the railing would have to be low enough for that to happen. Granted, it’s been 5 or so months since I’ve been onboard a ship, but I don’t recall the railings being that low. Especially not for a small child.

The fact that the family doesn’t know what happened seems to corroborate an eyewitness’s account that the family was on the 9th deck and the child went ahead, by herself, down the elevator to a lower floor. Given how hectic debarkation is, I would have to wonder why she was allowed to go off on her own. I only bring this up because if the family is really planning on suing Carnival, it seems they have plenty to answer for themselves. Ultimately this was just an awful tragedy and it really bugs me that they are going to try to make off of it.