Mean & Nasty Passengers

seanan2

"Don't stand right in front of the door when waiting." And please don't stand in the area outside the elevator with the 10 people you are traveling with trying to decide where to go. Move to one side, please. There were times I had a very hard time getting to the stairs because groups had the entire area blocked. Of course, that happens everywhere not just on cruise ships.

"Don't stand right in front of the door when waiting." And please don't stand in the area outside the elevator with the 10 people you are traveling with trying to decide where to go. Move to one side, please. There were times I had a very hard time getting to the stairs because groups had the entire area blocked. Of course, that happens everywhere not just on cruise ships.

Got the solution! Ready chair lifts one on each side.

Was it elevator related? That’s my only problem. Why on earth would you try to get on a crowded full elevator?

Just get on with your back to the door & face all the pax. Now see how many hop off at the next floor!

Hi Everyone -

Thanks for your support.

My mom is the sweetest, funniest older person you'd want to meet. That's why I vacation with her - she is just awesome.

More Details -

We were at muster - we always get places early so we can have a seat (we've both cruised before many, many times - so we know what to expect). Anyhow, we were seated at the front and there was a railing in front of us. An "idiot" stood leaning against the railing with his butt in my moms face - she kindly asked him to move and he was extremely rude in his response to my mom so I told him to "Be nice that is my mom", he told me "Shut up Fat A**". The conversation descended from there. It was awful - both my mom & I tried to forget this experience but it's been hard. There were other encounters too. Simply awful.

Thanks for the support - much appreciated.

Oh my gosh, that's awful, what a jerk. No way to treat anyone, let alone someone's Mom.

On several occasions, my wife and I have been unable to leave an elevator due to the passengers pushing in before anyone could get off.

On each occasion I was standing next to the control panel - so I just held the "door open" button.

When asked why I was doing so by one of the pushers, I smiled and said "because there are a number of people on this elevator who want to get off on this deck. Perhaps you'd kindly let them do so?"

VP

Nicely handled!

I've rarely encountered mean and nasty passengers, but one does stand out. Going through the Panama Canal, Mrs. Mean and Nasty shoved people at the rail of the bow to get to the rail herself - and I do mean shoved, she elbowed one woman in the side so hard she made her stumble. Then she proceeded to tell off everyone for being there at all - she claimed that area was reserved for 5 star mariners (yes, this was HAL). She was completely wrong in every way, but that didn't stop Mrs. Mean and Nasty from being mean and nasty.

Fortunately, most people are more polite/decent than that. I try to ignore people like her and concentrate on being grateful that I'm not their travel partner!

one interesting slant on the elevator thing, why are sooo many people in a rush...... it's the whole idea of a cruise to relax..... it is like stopping to smell the roses or in this case the sea and look out over the water..

and it is not like they are going to run out of anything...... and generally there are another few thousand people around, of which only one is important and that's the Captain..

I say just walk away from all rude people is possible and go have a G & T

Cheers Don

Every story has two sides to it. It's interesting to see the points of view that lead to this perceived 'rudeness'. To one person 'there's plenty of room in the elevator, why won't you squeeze in so we can all get where we are going'. To another it's 'there's plenty of elevators and I want my personal space, you should take the next one'. What they all have in common is one person wanting to change the behavior of another. This just leads to frustration.

Agreed.

Overcrowding on airplanes, ships, subway trains, etc. is a major cause of arguments between travelers. People get frustrated when they have to share their personal space in overcrowded conditions.

Muster drill is very crowded, because on a completely full ship, most muster stations cannot comfortably seat everyone assigned to that station.

The mother perceived that the "idiot" was in her personal space and wanted him to move. The "idiot" perceived that he was not in her personal space, or he was doing the best he could, or there was no place else to which he could walk away.

While no one should be rude or profane to another, I have found that the best way to cope with a very crowded situation is to say to myself, "This will only take 20 minutes, then we can go on to something else. All we have to do is put up with this for 20 mins. - not the entire cruise. "

That's just my way of coping with it. Sometimes, there really is no other place for the other passenger to walk away. . In that case, the passenger should just politely say to the mother, "I'm sorry ma'm, but it is extremely crowded here, and I don't see any other place that I can walk away."

JMO -- EBC

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

On our sold-out cruise, the overcrowding also happened in the elevators. The elevator doors would open, and it was obvious ( to me at least) that there was no more room for additional passengers. Nonetheless, someone else would cheerfully say, "Oh, you can squeeze on. There's room for two more", etc. ( while other passengers sighed patiently). Then, the new people would get on, and the elevator would start beeping because it was over its weight limit. So, the people who just got on, would have to get off the elevator.:rolleyes:

and it is not like they are going to run out of anything......

Cheers Don

you have to be wrong. they are up in your back at the buffet pushing to get their food. it has to be disappearing forever..otherwise why would they do it. i find i 'itch' my back or put my arm to my side and twist and stretch and have a little fun with them. no way should me turning ever make me run into anyone. shouldnt be that close to me. its also fun to talk about people right next to them . most dont hear you and are clueless and its a fun way to pass the time

'honey, i hear they are running out of food, we better hurry and get some and i dont think anyone else in line is gonna get any food. thats why they are probably pushing us.'

no one thinks it applies to them. ive already turned and told people they wont run out of food and i PROMISE they wont run out of food.

one quandry i frequently run into is if i want something at the end of the line . do you wait through 6 selections of people dipping into those trays or cut in to get item 7 at the station

When I first read the OP, I wasn't willing to make a judgement because there are two sides to a story. We've only heard from one side and we really don't know the exact words or how they were spoken. So, I wouldn't just assume that the OP is the exact true story and that's that.

Even so, to say that this kind of rudeness continued and therefore impacted their cruise as much as the OP says, makes you wonder if this is being blown up to make it seem like there were rude people all around and that rudeness was pointed directly at the OP's mother throughout the cruise or maybe, just maybe, the OP's mother had something to do with the responses people were directing towards her. Again, I am just raising some questions, not insinuating anything. But we've been on 11 cruises and while we have witnessed few cases of rudeness, I've never seen enough that would ruin our cruise or make me not want to cruise ever again. You can experience rudeness anywhere but its how you respond to it that will determine if it significantly impacts your experience or not.

I should add that I think we all have experienced the elevator rudeness but most of the time, I just look at my wife with a funny face, we snicker a little and then we go on enjoying our vacation. Hardly a significant enough of an experience to let it ruin our cruise.

Agreed.

Overcrowding on airplanes, ships, subway trains, etc. is a major cause of arguments between travelers. People get frustrated when they have to share their personal space in overcrowded conditions.

Muster drill is very crowded, because on a completely full ship, most muster stations cannot comfortably seat everyone assigned to that station.

The mother perceived that the "idiot" was in her personal space and wanted him to move. The "idiot" perceived that he was not in her personal space, or he was doing the best he could, or there was no place else to which he could walk away.

While no one should be rude or profane to another, I have found that the best way to cope with a very crowded situation is to say to myself, "This will only take 20 minutes, then we can go on to something else. All we have to do is put up with this for 20 mins. - not the entire cruise. "

That's just my way of coping with it. Sometimes, there really is no other place for the other passenger to walk away. . In that case, the passenger should just politely say to the mother, "I'm sorry ma'm, but it is extremely crowded here, and I don't see any other place that I can walk away."

JMO -- EBC

Overcrowding is only a source of arguments among people who are already predisposed to being rude in general. If you are polite and a good citizen, you will continue to be just that even in the midst of a crowd. I have ridden the Japanese subways at rush hour and seen exactly what tightly packed means. Literally, they force more people from behind to make maximum use of each train run. However, no one is rude or hateful to each other.

Plain and simple, there is never a real reason to be rude or impolite in your dealings with other people. I feel for the OP, that type of language and human interaction is simply unacceptable, but it is also unlikely the offending individual understands that.

For the OP, remember the defect is with the offensive person, not you. Be the better person, hold doors, say please and thank you (to everyone) and defer to others when given the chance. Life is better, you enjoy your vacation more and will have less stress.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

know what really makes people angry. if you say religious stuff to them. try it sometime :) like tell the guy on the railing you will pray for him.

no i've never done it but in todays world of hyper-ism about everything. it will be a reaction they dont expect and catch them off guard.

or just stop mid conversation. tell them they are right and you are wrong and sorry for bothering them.. that will REALLY make them angry. take the wind out of their sails

i could go on..but i've done enough good for one day here.

and it is not like they are going to run out of anything......

Cheers Don

Maybe not at the beginning of serving but they do run out of items quite often at the buffet (especially desserts since Princess doesn't make many of them). If you find a dessert that's exceptionally good and your considering getting another later in the evening you might be disappointed.

Maybe not at the beginning of serving but they do run out of items quite often at the buffet (especially desserts since Princess doesn't make many of them). If you find a dessert that's exceptionally good and your considering getting another later in the evening you might be disappointed.

actually this jogged my memory. on the Breakaway they had a pasta station where they made what you wanted. you could mix a few kinds and it took about 2 min to make each plate. i literally got the last bit of one of the pastas. so it does happen. person behind me asked and no more

she should have elbowed me out of the way!

I think the OP's post is not worth analyzing. There is no detail. We do not know the circumstances or even what the OP considers as rude! For all we know the OP's mother is the rude person...and others were just reacting to her behavior. I hope the OP comes back and gives us some more information.

Hank

I don't think they are asking to be analyzed. Just wanted to vent a little. After today at work. I totally understand

actually this jogged my memory. on the Breakaway they had a pasta station where they made what you wanted. you could mix a few kinds and it took about 2 min to make each plate. i literally got the last bit of one of the pastas. so it does happen. person behind me asked and no more

she should have elbowed me out of the way!

Like I always tell the wife there's the quick & the hungry. ;p

Crowded elevator story.

Packed elevator and two more people pushed their way in.Then the beeping began. These two didn't move.

I looked around and neither did anyone. So my husband and I got out and walked up the stairs. No thank you's from the guilty party or anyone else. If we hadn't gotten out the elevator would not have moved.

Crowded elevator story.

Packed elevator and two more people pushed their way in.Then the beeping began. These two didn't move.

I looked around and neither did anyone. So my husband and I got out and walked up the stairs. No thank you's from the guilty party or anyone else. If we hadn't gotten out the elevator would not have moved.

isnt the cruise ship supposed to offer passengers X dollars to de-elevator?

Definitely-- because one passenger getting seconds of something is better than another passenger having a chance to get even one serving :rolleyes:

Definitely-- because one passenger getting seconds of something is better than another passenger having a chance to get even one serving :rolleyes:

Aw, come on 3kids, how does the person who took a wee bit of something that they ended up liking know that their second try at that item will deny someone else? Are you more comfortable with people loading up their plates with food that will go uneaten? I am not. Not that those are the only choices.

And to those who have cruised many times and have only experienced a few instances of rudeness, you are not paying attention. We have encountered rude, boorish people on every single cruise. Because they are everywhere. We just don't allow them to define our cruise.

There was an absolutely hilarious thread on Celebrity Board discussing/describing incidents of rude/boorish behavior of those with elite status. I particularly remember the one where a woman walked up to the bar and informed the bartender that: "I am elite. You'll serve me first."

That used to happen all the time with the truffles on a stick. You could stand there & get as many as you wanted but if you arrived a little late, forget about it.