Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Wouldn't it be cheaper to go to a closer zoo? And the food would be better. And wine.

:)

Absolutely, but no amount of logic will persuade me that waking up and seeing and feeding a giraffe in your bedroom isn't worth the trip.

Rp

We have a month in Venice in October. I’ve looked to see how many "monster" ships are docked during that time. One day there are 11,000 passengers in the city so we will arrange our sightseeing to something local and not on or near a tourists "must see" list.

Our apartment is off the beaten path and we are hoping to become locals at some of the nearby bars and cafes.

We will have a visitor for a few days who took us on her "Grapehops Food and Wine Tour" of Venice in 2011. It was a week of eating, drinking and sightseeing in a small group.

She co authored "Chow Venice" so knows where to eat.

We have kept in touch and she now takes food and wine tours to Croatia, Sicily, Portugal and Spain. Unfortunately our dates haven’t aligned so have been unable to tour with her this year.

We first visited Venice in 1970, then the next visit was on Regent Seven Seas before our Grapehops tour. It is an amazing way to arrive in Venice but when I see the huge ships sailing in so close I do cringe ( and have a moment of guilt). I make myself feel better by saying it was a "small" ship!

Jilly,

I suspect that most people who are lucky enough to have visited places like Venice in quieter times some time ago are extremely lucky to have really good memories to call on and those that don't obviously do not know what they have missed.

I've been lucky enough to see Venice in the snow and when it is flooded which was eerie. One didn't know where the pavements ended and the canals started and that is the stuff that nightmares are made of. The best times where late on winters nights in the rain and how the lights play and reflect their magic in the water and there were very few people around. Most of these places will never ever be the same again and many have morphed into a sort of Eurodisney.

I've said many times that Europeans are extremely fortunate to have so much history and variation within such short air-hops away and all are so different considering how close they all are to each other. Paris, so different from Amsterdam and all so different from everywhere else. We were fortunate enough to treat BMI (in it's day ...) and BA and Air France and Austrian and Lufthansa ... even sometimes Swiss ... almost like commuter buses to enjoy short and long breaks away .... a luxury that Americans and Ozzies would never take for granted but we too often do.

Enjoy Venice in October ... a month sounds about right ...... :)

Greetings Coolers! It seems Spring has decided to extend her vacation. There may be snow flurries this weekend. :(

Today's funny is for our Cooler friends down under:

31357979_1682881205092237_1750186730599743488_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e7cd4e974476b14a1b04965ed1951b92&oe=5B97B53C

Have a great day all!

Yes J...all digits crossed!

There is an interesting article on a study done by the Washington Post on school gun violence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/local/us-school-shootings-history/?utm_term=.e2dab0186725

From that article:

"Over the past two decades, a handful of massacres that have come to define school shootings in this country are almost always remembered for the students and educators slain. Death tolls are repeated so often that the numbers and places become permanently linked.

What those figures fail to capture, though, is the collateral damage of this uniquely American crisis. Beginning with Columbine in 1999, more than 187,000 students attending at least 193 primary or secondary schools have experienced a shooting on campus during school hours, according to a year-long Washington Post analysis. This means that the number of children who have been shaken by gunfire in the places they go to learn exceeds the population of Eugene, Ore., or Fort Lauderdale, Fla. "

And recently there was a suggested solution to the problem that popped up in my news feed on FB.......Storm Bunkers. Not a joke! This is really not my idea of a solution!

In The Know Innovation

These bulletproof storm bunkers aim to keep students safe in the event of a school shooting.

Greetings Coolers! Here comes the rain again

Falling on my head like a memory

Falling on my head like a new emotion. (remember the Eurythmics?)

Today's funny will probably ring true with people (like me) who sometimes use canned food items.....

31431214_1683943424986015_269370470380339200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=6030d28d6245f6b3fde3fa4534525357&oe=5B680977

Have a great day all!

Still laughing....that was a good one! Eurythmic's, Anne Lennox and all ! Good job, Mysty!

Sun is out so maybe a nice day....next week, it's going to be summer. Skipped spring completely!

Have a good weekend, all.

Hi Coolers, a weekend off for us! Well, not exactly, but close enough.

We are headed to Boston today and spending the week. We both have conferences there this week; mine starts tomorrow and Chris's starts Monday. We have some nice restaurants picked out for dinner. Too bad we like to eat...we really have to lose some of the extra "baggage" that we brought back from the Australia trip.

Unfortunately we miss the main part of Chris's 25 year Med School reunion tonight, but we went to the class dinner last night which was fun. So we won't miss too much, and got to see a few people that we haven't seen in some time. But the food wasn't much to speak of. Oh well.

Time to get organized and packed up for the trip, so happy weekend everyone.

JP, we'll miss you - we board as you're leaving.

Would have been good to meet a Cooler.

Karin

Karin, you're on the Wind embarking 18 September? We'll be up the hill from you, keeping an eye on the ship. We did book the Four Seasons at Ten Trinity Square, so it will be an easy disembarkation for us. We just have to walk across the street at the top of the Tower, and our hotel is right there. No cab needed for us - it should take all of about 5 minutes, if we go slowly!

It looks as if you don't sail out until the morning of 19 September, so we will be there for the whole time you're there. I think we'll have to find a good place to watch the sail-away, even though we will be sad to not be aboard.

PS we had a great time in Melbourne last month. Very enjoyable city. We stayed at the Park Hyatt by the Cathedral.

Does anybody have experience with the Virgin Atlantic upper class transfer? It looks like a decent price for a private pick-up from the hotel, and a direct ride to the upper class wing at LHR. I may splurge and do it. Virgin Australia really takes good care of you if you have any kind of Medallion status (we are Gold with DL). They gave us lounge access and the private security screening entrance, even though we were just traveling domestic with them, on basic economy tickets. I'm looking forward to seeing how Virgin Atlantic compares. Looks similar from what I can tell.

Have a great time in Boston, JP & Chris! Class reunions can be a lot of fun. Ever since our high school's 50th anniversary, groups both in PR and in different states have been meeting on a monthly basis for lunch. Interesting how all have developed as human beings and as citizens, and with so many stories to share...

Good morning, well, last weekend I got a cold and I thought it was a quick one.....now my nose is clearer but seems whatever is causing a cough:eek:.....with more nose blowing.......delayed reaction or something........

It is not actually a dry cough but that good ole flem......:( Sorry if that was TMI.........

JP, have fun in Boston, they do have some great restaurants:D........my sister and were there a couple of years ago for a cruise and went to Diavlo's (think that was it).........very good food:)

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

JP we have used the Virgin Atlantic transfers from home to LHR and back. They have a dedicated entrance for the limo at LHR and a pretty efficient system for the return leg. We were very happy with it. Enjoy the time in Boston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greetings all.

As usual this place is so busy it is hard to keep up with everyone's comings and goings. I know 'Monday' was a long time ago, but our week started out getting a text from our daughter saying "If you're watching the news, I'm okay." She lives in Toronto, just off Finch, 3 blocks from Yonge. We'd been talking to her on Saturday, while she was out doing her weekly shopping along Yonge Street. Two days later the carnage occurred exactly where she walks daily as part of her commute. So most of the week I've been having very emotional reactions to all the news coming out of Toronto. (She had a very long walk home on Monday night, as they closed the subway station where she usually gets off when coming home from work.) They say that having children is like watching your heart walk around outside your body. It's a bit hard having her so far away, sometimes! (She says it is surreal seeing 'her' neighbourhood in the news.)

In happier news, paid the full 'early pay discount' amount on our upcoming December cruise. Now I'm watching to see if the 'pay by' date gets extended to the end of May!

We had to head over to Vancouver Island this week to deal with some investment property we have over there. Taking the ferry can be like a bit of a mini vacation if you have the right attitude. The weather was spectacular - blue sky, sunny, warm - and the cherry trees are in full blossom everywhere in Vancouver and Victoria.

We even saw some orca (killer whales) while on the ferry from Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen. Not a 'rare' occurrence, but not something that happens on every trip either, so it was fun to see the excitement of the tourists on the ship. Here is a video a neighbour of ours took a few months ago when some orca were rubbing up on the beach where we live. (If the link works in this forum)

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1314506

JP and Chris....have a great time in Boston!

MLeh....so glad your daughter is OK. Mine was in TO for a conference the next day and I was a little ill at ease about even that brief visit. Thanks for the link to the orca video. Cool Beans!

Glad to hear everyone north of the border is safe.

JP and Chris, please let us know if you find a super duper restaurant in Boston. We have an overnight in Boston on our TA in September. Although the food on the ship is always good, we may venture off for dinner on shore. Keep us posted!

We have had 2 "big" reunions in the last 6 months. First 50 years for my husband from finishing 4 years at Duntroon Military College, then my 50 years of finishing nursing course.

Nursing is different now with university degrees. It was just slave labour back then. I did do a Grad Dip much later in life and glad I did. Extended my knowledge but got my brain working differently.

Our reunions were a lot of fun. Many stories and laughs.

Glad you enjoyed Melbourne JP. Where did you eat?

Did you write a blog? Would love to hear about your time in South Australia.

We love the wine areas and are off to the Hunter Valley in NSW in June.

Does anybody have experience with the Virgin Atlantic upper class transfer? It looks like a decent price for a private pick-up from the hotel, and a direct ride to the upper class wing at LHR. I may splurge and do it. Virgin Australia really takes good care of you if you have any kind of Medallion status (we are Gold with DL). They gave us lounge access and the private security screening entrance, even though we were just traveling domestic with them, on basic economy tickets. I'm looking forward to seeing how Virgin Atlantic compares. Looks similar from what I can tell.

I’ve used these transfers many times to the UC wing and they are excellent....due to use them again in November.

Virgin use a company called Tristar cars which you can book independently....maybe worth comparing prices.

I’ve never been more than ten minutes from arriving to getting into the Clubhouse which is also excellent! Enjoy!

Great to see the cooler buzzing....still busy here with the renovations and now on the three week cruise countdown so much to do!

Happy Weekend All 😊

Thanks, Mysty, for your daily funnies...no better way to start the day.

Leaving for Madrid tomorrow morning and returning May 11. Really excited about this trip since Roberto will be receiving the highest prize for a Spanish or Latin American living composer. Apart from concerts and other formalities, we plan to escape on day trips to Toledo, Segovia and Córdoba. We had visited these cities many years ago, so it will be a treat to re-visit them. I'll try to post my impressions of this trip...sorry, no pictures..