Tell me about the coffee cards

Turtle05

I have a few questions about the coffee cards. I have seen the thread ref possibly not being able to use the, for ice cream. While that would be nice, that's not my priority.

I am a coffee fiend. I need it daily to function. We are doing an Alaskan cruise on the Ruby, so I will enjoy it even more with the chillier weather. My husband is intermittent on his coffee drinking, but he also enjoys a good Chai, so the prospect of fifteen "free" specialty drinks is appealing to him, though fifteen might be a lot. I am primarily interested in the drip coffee.

I have read that the free drip coffee is not very good and appears to be hard to come by, as it's all the way on the fifteenth deck. Is this true? Where does the punch card allow me free drip that is not available free to other passengers? Is it just the international cafe?

For brewed coffee, the coffee card is not punched if purchased/issued on same voyage. Otherwise, there is a punch on the card, or charged for those without. Technically, It is also covered by the no-sharing policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For brewed coffee, the coffee card is not punched if purchased/issued on same voyage. Otherwise, there is a punch on the card, or charged for those without. Technically, It is also covered by the no-sharing policy.

Just want to clarify. Yes, technically a brand new card from which one is enjoying free coffees and teas (and hot choc) on the current voyage is not shareable, but there is no issue sharing the card for any situation requiring punches.

Just want to clarify. Yes, technically a brand new card from which one is enjoying free coffees and teas (and hot choc) on the current voyage is not shareable, but there is no issue sharing the card for any situation requiring punches.

I agree. Others using the card for a punch, or having multiple orders for a group at one time with corresponding punches on a single card, is allowed.

Sharing is really on the table. My husband can have his own card if he wants. I was just more wondering about the various drip coffee options with the card.

When you buy the card you are paying for punches to buy the pretentious specialty Starbucks type coffee with the syrups and whipped cream. The unlimited regular drip coffee is a bonus. If you don't drink specialty coffee then I would just pay as you go for regular drip coffee. If this is the case I would first try the regular coffee in the MDR for breakfast and dinner. I find the coffee in the MDR is better than the buffet. I don't drink specialty coffee but have had the AIBP which included the regular drip coffee. The issue I had was that it's just too inconvenient to have to go to the IC to get the coffee to bring in up to the buffet where I would eat breakfast. Hope this helps. I'm sure you didn't expect to get a lecture on the moral use of the coffee card but it seems that the coffee card police are working overtime.

I am a coffee fiend. I need it daily to function. We are doing an Alaskan cruise on the Ruby, so I will enjoy it even more with the chillier weather. My husband is intermittent on his coffee drinking, but he also enjoys a good Chai, so the prospect of fifteen "free" specialty drinks is appealing to him, though fifteen might be a lot. I am primarily interested in the drip coffee.

?

What free do you mean. All specialty coffee is a punch from the card which sells for about $35 on board or $22-$24 on ebay. Specialty coffee is NOT free.

The buffet coffee is horrendous. I didn't have any drip coffee from the IC, but also don't think they have a real selection of it. Maybe I just missed it, since I wasn't interested. Honestly; the specialty coffees at the IC really weren't that special. I tried a variety of their mochas, etc. Definitely preferable to the buffet, but not great. The best coffee was getting a cappuccino with dinner -- you can use a punch for it.

What free do you mean. All specialty coffee is a punch from the card which sells for about $35 on board or $22-$24 on ebay. Specialty coffee is NOT free.

Yeah that's why it's in quotes...fifteen "free" if prepaid with the punch card... I guess that was poor word choice.

When we were on the Regal and it was the 50th Anniversary of Princess (at least I think it was 50), they had a brewed coffee called "celebration or anniversary edition". It was a more robust coffee than the one that comes with the Coffee Card. It was not a specialty coffee, but a brewed coffee that we would get at the International Cafe. We had to ask specifically for it. They would put on a pot when they saw us arrive in the morning for our coffee. When we went over to the Royal a few months later, I also got them to make that one for me. It was loads better than the one they normally brew at the International Cafe, and a thousand times better than the coffee available in the buffet. Don't know whether they still serve it. Some of the servers also called it dark roast.

What is "NOT on the the table"? I have purchased the card for my spouse in the past, she enjoys the specialty coffee's, I enjoy the fresh brew "drip", never a problem getting one of each at any point, no punch for my fresh brew, a punch for the specialty.

I had a couple of old cards with most of the punches unused. I gave them away on our recent cruise. We had booked under the Sip and Sail so the coffee was included. I figured why not let someone else use my punches.

I had a couple of old cards with most of the punches unused. I gave them away on our recent cruise. We had booked under the Sip and Sail so the coffee was included. I figured why not let someone else use my punches.

That was so nice of you!

What is "NOT on the the table"? I have purchased the card for my spouse in the past, she enjoys the specialty coffee's, I enjoy the fresh brew "drip", never a problem getting one of each at any point, no punch for my fresh brew, a punch for the specialty.

Just buying one coffee card and sharing it....I'd rather us each just have our own....

Is it still Princess' policy to not honour an unused coffee card bought on a previous cruise? We have three not all punched
I have not known Princess to not honor the punches on an unused coffee card. The complementary brewed coffee is a different issue. Since it is only good for the cruise you purchased the card, you probably will not get complementary brewed coffee with an older version card or a current version card with a different cruise marked on the back side.

Is it still Princess' policy to not honour an unused coffee card bought on a previous cruise? We have three not all punched

An unused card with no writing and no punches can be initiated on your next cruise. Shouldn't be an issue. Unless things have changed this year, should be fine. Worst they ought to do is collect an upcharge for a very old card that would have cost much less. But should be no issue with newer cards.

It was never their policy to not honor the cards, at least not since we have been sailing with them! They will still punch the card for specialty coffees but you will not get the fresh brewed coffee for free....they will require a punch for that too. (if the previous ship's name and date are printed or written on the back)

Does the card cover specialty TEAS as well. Do they have fancy teas in the international cafe? Also, is that good coffee available at all times. I am often up @ 5am and on some cruise lines you have to wait until 6am or later for a good cup of brew. Thanks in advance. - Curt.

Does the card cover specialty TEAS as well. Do they have fancy teas in the international cafe? Also, is that good coffee available at all times. I am often up @ 5am and on some cruise lines you have to wait until 6am or later for a good cup of brew. Thanks in advance. - Curt.

International Cafe is open and specialty coffee is available 24/7.:)