St. Kitts vs St. Thomas?

cnjoy26

Definitely like St. Thomas and have been there a number of times. But compared to St. Kitts it is far more congested and commercial. St. Kitts is slower paced and more "off the beaten path" comparatively. Been there a few times as well and like it quite a bit. They are two different islands with different personalities. But all in all probably like St. Kitts a little better.

Depends on what you're looking for. St. Thomas, as has been mentioned, is much more touristy. If you're looking for shopping and lots of available excursions, then certainly St. Thomas has much to offer. St. Kitts is more laid back. When we were there we opted to do the "St. Kitts Scenic Railway" excursion. This is a really quaint and enjoyable journey by train. During the ride, some of their choir are onboard and sing a few songs for the guests, lending a nice bit of local culture to the trip. I just enjoy exploring places I've not been to yet. Having been to St. Thomas several times already, I really wouldn't feel the need to go back. Only been to St. Kitts once though so I'd gladly go there again. I'm not much of a shopper, so I'll go for a more 'off-the-beaten-path' island anytime.

Edited by three4rd

I find St. Kitts to be far more interesting--it has a UNESCO world heritage site, Brimstone Fortress! But for those who prefer shopping and lovely beaches, St. Thomas/St. John would be the way to go. If you go to St. Kitts, book a tour with Royston if you are up for an adventure.

I should mention we’re already going to St. John/Antigua a different day :)

Those are 2 different places :D--

St. John accessible by ferry from St. Thomas (USVI) and

St. John, the capital of Antigua.

Enjoy, we've been to the 2 above and also St. Kitts.

"St. Kitts highlights" with Thenford Gray - highly recommended.

I think by most measures (shopping, beaches, activities, etc.), St Thomas is a much better stop. But that's irrelevant. St. Kitts is also a great stop and they are totally different experiences. I think you should review the excursions and activities in each location and see which one entices you more. I don't think anyone here can persuade you either way because nobody knows what you want to do...

If shopping, being a USVI, St Thomas charges on the credit cards do not add any fees. Because st kitts is not and uses different money, the credit card charged us a conversion fee for all our purchases there. so at least check with your credit card to see if they will do the same. we initially thought the prices we negotiated for both jewelry and alcohol in st Kitts seemed better than St Thomas, when we got our charges processed on the credit card, it was more expensive. Not all credit cards may be the same, but thought I would pass on our experience just for information.

If shopping, being a USVI, St Thomas charges on the credit cards do not add any fees. Because st kitts is not and uses different money, the credit card charged us a conversion fee for all our purchases there. so at least check with your credit card to see if they will do the same. we initially thought the prices we negotiated for both jewelry and alcohol in st Kitts seemed better than St Thomas, when we got our charges processed on the credit card, it was more expensive. Not all credit cards may be the same, but thought I would pass on our experience just for information.

You should get another card for when traveling out of the country. There are plenty that don't have foreign transaction fees.

Definitely like St. Thomas and have been there a number of times. But compared to St. Kitts it is far more congested and commercial. St. Kitts is slower paced and more "off the beaten path" comparatively. Been there a few times as well and like it quite a bit. They are two different islands with different personalities. But all in all probably like St. Kitts a little better.

I agree. And I always look forward to returning to both of them.

I should mention we’re already going to St. John/Antigua a different day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's been mentioned already, but I wanted to add that St John island (part of the US Virgin Islands, or, USVI) is close to St Thomas and kind of in the northern part of the Caribbean, while St John's, where you are going on your cruise, is a town on the island of Antigua, which is part of the Southern Caribbean. Two totally different places, and not close to each other. Often mistaken for the same place though.

I agree. And I always look forward to returning to both of them.

Me too! I will add that while I prefer privately arranged excursions, The best ever Royal excursion I did was a Catamaran sail with BBQ lunch at Nevis.

It's been mentioned already, but I wanted to add that St John island (part of the US Virgin Islands, or, USVI) is close to St Thomas and kind of in the northern part of the Caribbean, while St John's, where you are going on your cruise, is a town on the island of Antigua, which is part of the Southern Caribbean. Two totally different places, and not close to each other. Often mistaken for the same place though.

I'm gonna correct myself here and say that Antigua is more central Caribbean than southern, however it is visited on cruise ships on southern itineraries, rather than east/west ones.

You may want to consider the major damage that hurricane Irma did to both St. Thomas and St. John, USVI. Excursions may not be the same as before the storm hit these USVIs. St. Kitts had no major damage from Irma or Maria. So it may be a better choice for cruises for several months.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Okay I understand I have to decide because I know what I prefer to do but I also like to know others thoughts that have actually been there...what is the big difference between these two locations (st Thomas and St. Kitts) or are there pretty much the same except for different excursions?

Thanks in advance!