Why are there less and less water features on cruise ships?

cruiseshipfan18

You are correct. Generally, water sports activities on cruise ships are being reduced in the cruise industry.

There are 2 very good reasons for this:

1. The US Centers for Disease Control oversees the United States Public Health Service, which inspects cruise ships.

They have noticed that NOBODY ever bothers to shower before using the water sports, increasing the chances of spreading illness. They also notice that cruise ship engineers are often a bit too casual about testing and treating the water used in these water sports activities. This also increases the chances of spreading illness. The number of water-borne illness events on cruise ships has been increasing over the past 2 decades.

Cruise lines are reluctant to spend big money on these facilities, only to get dinged by negative PR when people get sick on their ships.

2. In the cruise business, you ALWAYS need to follow the money. Water sports facilities appeal to children and families. Who spends the least amount of money on a cruise ship? Children and families.

Aside from Carnival and possibly RCCL, cruise lines are reluctant to invest big money in activities and equipment that appeal to people who will not spend much money once they get onboard.

Totally agree with you. Everything you said makes sense.

NCL has water slides on the Breakaway and similar sized ships in their fleet.

By the way, my 7 year old granddaughter contracted Mersa,a serious infection, this summer after visiting a local water park.

So, I understand the point about illnesses associated with such activities

on cruise ships.

Have you noticed that over the ages less and less cruise ships have water features, even those ships who had them got rid of them or don’t use them...!?

I don't know what they used to have so have nothing to compare it to at all. So what was it like "back in the day"? What did they offer then that isn't being offered now?

Back in the day, there was a tiny pool, not much larger than a hot tub (okay, a slight exaggeration) but those ships carried a vastly smaller number of passengers. As ships have ballooned in size, more water features have been added, but maybe not in direct relationship to the number of passengers who wish to use them. So I don't see cruise lines decreasing the size or number of water features, just not increasing them in proportion to the number of passengers...EM

You are correct. Generally, water sports activities on cruise ships are being reduced in the cruise industry.

There are 2 very good reasons for this:

1. The US Centers for Disease Control oversees the United States Public Health Service, which inspects cruise ships.

They have noticed that NOBODY ever bothers to shower before using the water sports, increasing the chances of spreading illness. They also notice that cruise ship engineers are often a bit too casual about testing and treating the water used in these water sports activities. This also increases the chances of spreading illness. The number of water-borne illness events on cruise ships has been increasing over the past 2 decades.

Cruise lines are reluctant to spend big money on these facilities, only to get dinged by negative PR when people get sick on their ships.

2. In the cruise business, you ALWAYS need to follow the money. Water sports facilities appeal to children and families. Who spends the least amount of money on a cruise ship? Children and families.

Aside from Carnival and possibly RCCL, cruise lines are reluctant to invest big money in activities and equipment that appeal to people who will not spend much money once they get onboard.

I agree. Return on investment is essential in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not sure what OP means by Water Features ?

If pools , hot tubes, slides , splash areas , etc. then I can remember when there may have been 1 pool for many years , then over the years perhaps a 2nd , then an indoor pool , then a water slide, ect. as new ships came on line.

As some ships started to be built built as floating resorts , now floating amusement parks , those water things have to now share the space with other features.

Kind of miss what cruising was years ago .

Have you noticed that over the ages less and less cruise ships have water features, even those ships who had them got rid of them or don’t use them...!?

Maybe it's because all the dead naval architects are rolling over in their graves over the ruination of such a sophisticated and luxurious mode of civilized transportation, which has turned so much of the industry into chintzy Vegas schtick.

If by water features you mean the fountains and cascades in the atrium etc I have noticed that they tend to be dry nowadays.

That's how I read it too. On our first cruise on Enchantment of the Seas in her inaugural season she had a wonderful water feature in the atrium, with water weaving it's way round the area. Now it appears to be dry.

I wonder if this is just too much maintenance?

What I meant by water features is fountains and cascades in atriums etc.

I totally agree with previous comments! Back in the day there was only one pool and hot tub etc. and now there are alot more water sports features and pools!

What I meant by water features is fountains and cascades in atriums etc.

I totally agree with previous comments! Back in the day there was only one pool and hot tub etc. and now there are alot more water sports features and pools!

One of the considerations is the weight of things put on the ships, so if they add something to the design they have to make up for it somewhere else.