Booking on board

ranchette

Used to be a good deal as you could easily change your cruise and keep the OBC. But now, for me, it isn't worth it. Leads to too much hassle. There are sometimes discounted rates that you can't change to if you used an on board booking. I booked on board last year. We didn't take the immediate OBC upon booking as we had significant OBC already, instead we applied it to the next cruise. The rates dropped to a rate that I couldn't use the on board booking for, but I could effectively "cancel and rebook." I had done that before, and all you do is lose the OBC. BUT, They said if I changed the rate I'd also lose my $200 deposit! I asked why and they said it was because we had already been given our OBC. I argued and finally after too many phone calls, they reviewed my previous account and realized I was right and they let me change the rate with no penalty other than loss of OBC. Anyway, that was the second time I had to argue about changing an On Board Booking or a Future Cruise Booking because the discounted rate I am eligible for can't be combined with an On Board Booking or Future Cruise Booking. Fortunately I have a GREAT TA who can fight these battles for me and win. But it has necessitated a 3 way call with her, me, and RCCL. So for me the $100 OBC isn't worth the hassle. I don't do on board or future bookings anymore.

Some of the benefits have disappeared but with the hope that they may reappear here are my thoughts on positives and negatives I have experienced.

Positives

+++++++

I enjoy flicking through the brochures which have details of itineraries for each and every ship. I then short list ones that appeal and have a chat with Next Cruise sales person to help me get an understanding of ballpark costs. I find this a lot easier than going online or through a travel agent. Generally, the sale people on board are patient and don't resort to hard sell.

I often have unusual requirements where third/fourth person pricing is key. I find that there is no consistency with RCL's pricing so I have found on board bookings particularly helpful here to find a good deal. Doing this online or via a TA is painful in comparison.

The low deposit plus OBC offer made the bookings a no lose proposition as you could get instant OBC equivalent to your deposit. Plus you had flexibility to change your booking even in the UK where terms and conditions are not as favourable as US.

Negatives

++++++++

Some of the benefits like low deposit are no longer available.

Some of the verbal reassurances made by sales people over the flexibility to change bookings are not backed up with something in writing. I have subsequently had problems getting my bookings changed and it needed unnecessary conversations with RCL to resolve.

If you happen to book with a TA to take advantage of a special offer, your onboard booking will automatically go to them. You can opt out but you need to be aware and there is always a chance they will screw this up.

The brochures which I have enjoyed flicking through have become scarce.

I have found the Next Cruise desk get very busy these days so the benefit of discussing options in a casual relaxed way has diminished. Typically you have to book an appointment and even then you have to wait.

Biggest negative is that some of the sales people are not that well informed so you starting doubting their advice. To be fair, I have had good and bad experiences. The good one has guided me to the right itinerary and cabin choice given my requirements.

I would not do any booking on board.

It used to be a worthwhile value to book with good incentives.

They took most of the benefits away.

Also it is not like you can brows and compare like you do on your own computer.

You have to sit while some guy puts in the exact dates into his computer and gives you a price.

Then sits there and stares at you while you are trying to decide.

You are usually very hurried because they have a room full of people waiting.

Just do it yourself at home..........

No $100 deposit anymore. It is $250 per person deposit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We just booked our next cruise while on the Harmony last week and paid $100 pp deposit (was told this was a "special") and received $275 OBC (large balcony room). The OBC is showing up when I access my account on line. We were quite satisfied with the price and both staff I worked with were great.

We just booked our next cruise while on the Harmony last week and paid $100 pp deposit (was told this was a "special") and received $275 OBC (large balcony room). The OBC is showing up when I access my account on line. We were quite satisfied with the price and both staff I worked with were great.
I stopped by oasis next cruise desk on Oct 16 and inquired. The deal was the same as me booking online so why book onboard?

Maybe they were running a promo when you booked. I would have booked another couple of cruises if there was an advantage. What day did you book with next cruise on oard?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

To be fair to their staff l think you need to do all your homework on the RCL website before you talk to them. It is so much easier for them and you if you zoom in on the cruise you want and the RCL website price. You will find that their NRD comes with their current sales gizmo like 50% off 2nd pax. The RD is without the sales gismo and is actually cheaper cheaper. Go Figures.

Booking on the first day comes with $100 OBC. Apart form this there is no advantage at all with booking on board. Don't forget to ask them for the guarantee cabin which only show up in their website and it is cheaper.

Edited by SG007
xxxxx

Is there any benefit now to booking another cruise onboard another cruise?

OBC is now the biggest reason. I have never felt rushed, but we did know what cruises to book. They rarely have any deals that you cannot get online or a TA. They will automatically transfer the booking to your preferred Travel Agent. For me it's certainly worth any small hassle.

I don't know about anyone's financial situation, but I would not throw away $200. BTW OBC is not just the first day. The other odd thing you may see is an early bird drawing for an additional $2-300 OBC.

Onboard credit per cabin

• 5-7 night cruises
    • Interior/Oceanview: $50
    • Balcony/Junior Suites: $100
    • Grand Suite & Above: $200

[*]8-10 night cruises

• Interior/Oceanview: $100
    • Balcony/Junior Suites: $150
    • Grand Suite & Above: $300

[*]11-14 night cruises

• Interior/Oceanview: $150
    • Balcony/Junior Suites: $200
    • Grand Suite & Above: $400

[*]15 nights or longer cruises

• Interior/Oceanview: $200
    • Balcony/Junior Suites: $250
    • Grand Suite & Above: $500

PLUS, EARN UP TO $100 IN ADDITIONAL ONBOARD CREDIT OR DOLLARS OFF

WHEN YOU BOOK MORE THAN 6 MONTHS IN ADVANCE!*

Edited by steveru621

When we book on board, it is simply to get the OBC. Before I even sit down with the NC department agent.....I know what ship, what date, and cabin number. Done in a few minutes. :)

Lately though, with the various online promos...don't really need to book on board to get it.

I still dearly miss the good old Next Cruise Certificates....the ones that actually were worth something. :(

To be fair to their staff l think you need to do all your homework on the RCL website before you talk to them. It is so much easier for them and you if you zoom in on the cruise you want and the RCL website price. You will find that their NRD comes with their current sales gizmo like 50% off 2nd pax. The RD is without the sales gismo and is actually cheaper cheaper. Go Figures.

Also note that the public computers onboard allow you to browse the RCI site for free. I have researched and booked onboard that way.

OBC is now the biggest reason. I have never felt rushed, but we did know what cruises to book. They rarely have any deals that you cannot get online or a TA. They will automatically transfer the booking to your preferred Travel Agent. For me it's certainly worth any small hassle.

I don't know about anyone's financial situation, but I would not throw away $200. BTW OBC is not just the first day. The other odd thing you may see is an early bird drawing for an additional $2-300 OBC.

Onboard credit per cabin

• 5-7 night cruises
    • Interior/Oceanview: $50
    • Balcony/Junior Suites: $100
    • Grand Suite & Above: $200

[*]8-10 night cruises

• Interior/Oceanview: $100
    • Balcony/Junior Suites: $150
    • Grand Suite & Above: $300

[*]11-14 night cruises

• Interior/Oceanview: $150
    • Balcony/Junior Suites: $200
    • Grand Suite & Above: $400

[*]15 nights or longer cruises

• Interior/Oceanview: $200
    • Balcony/Junior Suites: $250
    • Grand Suite & Above: $500

PLUS, EARN UP TO $100 IN ADDITIONAL ONBOARD CREDIT OR DOLLARS OFF

WHEN YOU BOOK MORE THAN 6 MONTHS IN ADVANCE!*

What you are referring to as "Oboard credit per cabin" is the standard C & A benefits which you get off on on board.

What you are referring to as "Onboard credit per cabin" is the standard C & A benefits which you get off on on board.

This is in addition to the C&A balcony discount. This is directly from RCI's website. Not sure where you got that information, but it is not correct.

This is in addition to the C&A balcony discount. This is directly from RCI's website. Not sure where you got that information, but it is not correct.

I booked on board. During that cruise, I made Platinum. RCI would NOT give the Balcony Discount, without losing the other perks.

I booked on board. During that cruise, I made Platinum. RCI would NOT give the Balcony Discount, without losing the other perks.

Correct, you can't combine the C&A balcony discount with Royals current promotions however the C&A balcony discount can be combined with the OBC that you get as a perk for booking on board which is what Steve was referring to.