Increase in Diamond & above members

fla33023

Late night but not party boy. I love being out on deck late at night watching the water, looking at the moon and stars, and finding a certain peace out there that is rarely encountered on land. Same reason that I am back out on deck by 5 AM.

I hear ya on the early morning deck walk. I love to get up early, fill up my coffee mug, and walk the deck at sunrise. So serene! :D

I was reading another thread and someone posted this comment, " On my last RCI cruise there were over 1000 Diamond and above membersout of just over 3000 passengers. They had to convert a large lounge to the Diamond Lounge."

It made me think about how family-friendly cruising has become. I would think that some kids could very well be Diamond by their 18th birthday. It seems that there could be way more people hitting this status at earlier ages. I wonder if RC would raise the # of pts needed to hit the next status or just continue to make room for the larger number? Just wondering what some of you professional cruisers think :) I'll probably never make Emerald but it seems like so many young people will do that easily!

My 3 kids are Diamond members now (age 4, 5, and 6) and they better appreciate that when they get older! My parents took us on several cruises when i was in grade/high school and I continued it on throughout the years. I don’t think then Diamond status will benefit them as much as us but I’m glad they have it. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it is just wrong to try to get the good doctor to let the dog out early in the morning so that you can sleep in..... I want him to come let Wellie out instead....:evilsmile:

JC

I'd be way too busy looking for the key to your wine cellar to be walking the dog.

I hear ya on the early morning deck walk. I love to get up early, fill up my coffee mug, and walk the deck at sunrise. So serene! :D

I like the walk to the cabin door to let room service in with our breakfast and then the walk to the balcony to eat it.

My 3 kids are Diamond members now (age 4, 5, and 6) and they better appreciate that when they get older! My parents took us on several cruises when i was in grade/high school and I continued it on throughout the years. I don’t think then Diamond status will benefit them as much as us but I’m glad they have it. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only another 15,16 and 17 years before they can enjoy their free alcoholic​ drinks.

I'd be way too busy looking for the key to your wine cellar to be walking the dog.

It is not locked.... I quit all of my wine clubs in the last year. I am down to about 200 bottles. (Although most of those left are rather nice.). On the upside, I will be in Napa in 2018 in August, and I will probably have joined three or four more..... The dog is a frustrating beasts... he likes to pee on things, but that whole pooping thing seems to be optional.

JC

I I wonder if RC would raise the # of pts needed to hit the next status or just continue to make room for the larger number? Just wondering what some of you professional cruisers think :) I'll probably never make Emerald but it seems like so many young people will do that easily!

YES! This has actually been done before, worse in fact, 2008, almost ten years ago so probably about right in timing. Why I say worse, they did a two fold change. They actually RESCINDED the already obtained benefits of DIAMOND level. They did this by ADDING an additional level you now know as DIAMOND PLUS. The benefits such as access to concierge lounge by DIAMOND status no matter sailing in any class cabin was changed to be a benefit of DIAMOND PLUS. The previous DIAMOND member were no longer afforded that benefit and some others. To obtain DIAMOND PLUS was DOUBLE the number of cruise days. Effectively you had to sail the same number of cruises again to obtain benefits had previous.

As stated that occurred somewhere around June or July of 2008 I believe. We were Diamond at the time. We will re-obtain those benefits as Diamond Plus AFTER the next RCL cruise. We cruise a lot but multiple lines and we have not been all that fond of RCL in recent years. They will almost definitely make changes soon. It would seem that they have little choice as so many people have obtained Diamond or above.

They have made changes to accommodate through the years by using various changes many for the positive. Using larger lounges, affording mixed drinks to Diamond ( originally Diamond was only beer and wine ) letting you obtain 3 free drinks in most lounges certain hours on your card so you don't go to Diamond lounge itself. We particular have liked these changes.

For future I would say to RCL a change in benefits I would like to see. Eliminate the Diamond lounges as a physical space, continue the certain hours for free drinks on card. Make benefits more oriented to specific services like FREE internet or laundry, better price discounts, upgrades, etc. To us the levels are not about STATUS, look at me I'm a Diamond whatever. It's about hey, I have spend thousands and thousands of dollars with you, don't need a pin or a room to show it off in. I need a real benefit for being a dam good customer of yours.

Keep the concierge but access only to those paying high prices for upper suite which was the original design, small intimate group that likes that and is willing to pay for such service.

All the lines have had to make some changes to benefit programs as a necessity. When Celebrity started it's Captains Club you had to sail first time and then could PAY $35 to join it. Remember like all your stores are doing, your credit cards are doing, these clubs are marketing tools, benefits of real importance are rare. They start out good usually but morph into less quietly.

WE have recently started sailing Holland America simply because they retain the most of all the mass market lines previous cruise amenities. Having taken our third cruise on them last month our benefit level was basically nada. We really didn't miss any status issue. What we loved was a $20 laundry bag, $45 for unlimited laundry since was combo road trip helpful. The $100 EACH OBC deal on an already decent price, AND especially the PAID gratuities. We sail the Rotterdam next, double the price because Xmas sailing but again $150 EACH, $50 EACH internet credit, and a discounted though high price for holiday sailing. Oh and best again PAID gratuities. Bennies I can FEEL and SPEND!

George in NY

YES! This has actually been done before, worse in fact, 2008, almost ten years ago so probably about right in timing. Why I say worse, they did a two fold change. They actually RESCINDED the already obtained benefits of DIAMOND level. They did this by ADDING an additional level you now know as DIAMOND PLUS. The benefits such as access to concierge lounge by DIAMOND status no matter sailing in any class cabin was changed to be a benefit of DIAMOND PLUS. The previous DIAMOND member were no longer afforded that benefit and some others. To obtain DIAMOND PLUS was DOUBLE the number of cruise days. Effectively you had to sail the same number of cruises again to obtain benefits had previous.

As stated that occurred somewhere around June or July of 2008 I believe. We were Diamond at the time. We will re-obtain those benefits as Diamond Plus AFTER the next RCL cruise. We cruise a lot but multiple lines and we have not been all that fond of RCL in recent years. They will almost definitely make changes soon. It would seem that they have little choice as so many people have obtained Diamond or above.

They have made changes to accommodate through the years by using various changes many for the positive. Using larger lounges, affording mixed drinks to Diamond ( originally Diamond was only beer and wine ) letting you obtain 3 free drinks in most lounges certain hours on your card so you don't go to Diamond lounge itself. We particular have liked these changes.

For future I would say to RCL a change in benefits I would like to see. Eliminate the Diamond lounges as a physical space, continue the certain hours for free drinks on card. Make benefits more oriented to specific services like FREE internet or laundry, better price discounts, upgrades, etc. To us the levels are not about STATUS, look at me I'm a Diamond whatever. It's about hey, I have spend thousands and thousands of dollars with you, don't need a pin or a room to show it off in. I need a real benefit for being a dam good customer of yours.

Keep the concierge but access only to those paying high prices for upper suite which was the original design, small intimate group that likes that and is willing to pay for such service.

All the lines have had to make some changes to benefit programs as a necessity. When Celebrity started it's Captains Club you had to sail first time and then could PAY $35 to join it. Remember like all your stores are doing, your credit cards are doing, these clubs are marketing tools, benefits of real importance are rare. They start out good usually but morph into less quietly.

WE have recently started sailing Holland America simply because they retain the most of all the mass market lines previous cruise amenities. Having taken our third cruise on them last month our benefit level was basically nada. We really didn't miss any status issue. What we loved was a $20 laundry bag, $45 for unlimited laundry since was combo road trip helpful. The $100 EACH OBC deal on an already decent price, AND especially the PAID gratuities. We sail the Rotterdam next, double the price because Xmas sailing but again $150 EACH, $50 EACH internet credit, and a discounted though high price for holiday sailing. Oh and best again PAID gratuities. Bennies I can FEEL and SPEND!

George in NY

You sound like a RC employee.

Have you seen the price of the wine?.The DL is a fantastic perk and there are lots of other perks too.

If the Diamond numbers are to high i would allow at least 4 free drinks either during cocktail hours or preferably at any time of day in any bar or restaurant and make the DL a D+L for D+and Pinnacle members only.

You sound like a RC employee.

Have you seen the price of the wine?.The DL is a fantastic perk and there are lots of other perks too.

If the Diamond numbers are to high i would allow at least 4 free drinks either during cocktail hours or preferably at any time of day in any bar or restaurant and make the DL a D+L for D+and Pinnacle members only.

Hey like next guy I'll take what I can get. To me RCL over priced and over fee'd now. Not only not an employe not even a fan anymore. Just back from HAL sailing them because closest to old days like I said. Last RCL cruise on Grandeur of Seas Diamond party lounge was tiny cube built into big lounge, so man Diamonds they used entire lounge. We were entitled to concierge lounge for being in Grand Suite but that is so small and cramped all concierge people went to Diamond. I want the bennies don't need the room is all I am saying. A bigger room with hundreds of members try to get that drink you want so bad. I hate fighting for the hot hors' duerves too.

I drink scotch, not cheap, wife White Zin loves it cheapest crap in the word on shore, they treat it like it was imported wine from 1902. I can buy a bottle for there glass price and they are buying wholesale and probably tax free.

By the way NY now wants ships to buy liquor license for serving alcohol while in port. They already collect sales tax now for cities while in port. Your wine is going up.

Trust me I will never sound like an RCL employee, don;t know where you got that from :)

George in NY

H

By the way NY now wants ships to buy liquor license for serving alcohol while in port. They already collect sales tax now for cities while in port. Your wine is going up.

George in NY

It's a good thing RCI sails from NJ. Hopefully NJ and cape liberty gets no ideas about a sales tax. Unfortunately there are a few ports US and non-US that charge a tax.

It's a good thing RCI sails from NJ. Hopefully NJ and cape liberty gets no ideas about a sales tax. Unfortunately there are a few ports US and non-US that charge a tax.

Just sailed from Port everglades, the collect sales tax. This becomes really good to know if you decide to buy a bottle of wine before sailing as a gentlemen next to us in the lounge found out.

George in NY

PS: No custom forms issued for disembark, when I called purser advised no longer used in Port Everglades.

Hey like next guy I'll take what I can get. To me RCL over priced and over fee'd now. Not only not an employe not even a fan anymore. Just back from HAL sailing them because closest to old days like I said. Last RCL cruise on Grandeur of Seas Diamond party lounge was tiny cube built into big lounge, so man Diamonds they used entire lounge. We were entitled to concierge lounge for being in Grand Suite but that is so small and cramped all concierge people went to Diamond. I want the bennies don't need the room is all I am saying. A bigger room with hundreds of members try to get that drink you want so bad. I hate fighting for the hot hors' duerves too.

I drink scotch, not cheap, wife White Zin loves it cheapest crap in the word on shore, they treat it like it was imported wine from 1902. I can buy a bottle for there glass price and they are buying wholesale and probably tax free.

Trust me I will never sound like an RCL employee, don;t know where you got that from :)

George in NY

It was when you said get rid of DL.

Graham,sitting drinking Sauvignon Blanc on our balcony in the best 5star hotel in Spain