Increase in Diamond & above members

fla33023

Isn't that true only if they're traveling with the parent in the same cabin?

Pretty sure kids of Diamonds don't get that status for free for life.

Nope.

Yep.

If a parent links the child, the child has the parent's C&A status up to and including D+.

This is true even if the child then travels without the parent. That's his/her C&A status.

Whatever the status is when the child turns 18, the child keeps.

If the child has not accumulated enough points on his/her own to be that status, he remains at that status and does not move up until s/he has accumulated the required points for that next level.

Isn't that true only if they're traveling with the parent in the same cabin?

Pretty sure kids of Diamonds don't get that status for free for life.

Nope my grown children started cruising with us before the age of 18, we made Diamond after that and they have that status now even when cruising on their own. Their spouses and even their children are all Diamond as well. This is for sure they each have their own numbers and have cruised without us.

Now Diamond is as far as they can go on our coat tails we are now Diamond Plus a status they'll have to achieve on their own!

Nope.

Yep.

If a parent links the child, the child has the parent's C&A status up to and including D+.

This is true even if the child then travels without the parent. That's his/her C&A status.

If the child has not accumulated enough points on his/her own to be that status, he remains at that status and does not move up until s/he has accumulated the required points for that next level.

Both my kids are Gold. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

My kids say we play favorites! On our coat tails or oldest made emerald, the middle diamond, and the youngest (still under 18) makes diamond plus this year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We only sailed Royal once prior to kids turning 18. They have some type of status on Carnival, Princess, and HAL.

Pretty sure my youngest has more time at sea than I do. Join the Navy, see the world. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

The repo from Bayonne to Galveston? We were on the Quebec City to Bayonne and MJ had suggested that the numbers were way up for the next cruise.

Interestingly, RCL just posted strong earnings. Lower rev due to all of the hurricane-related cancellations, but strong earnings. It would seem then that all of the benefits given to D, D+ and P doesn't stop them from making money nor has closing revenue-producing venues for 3+ hours each night in order to accommodate C&A events. On Quebec to Bayonne, that meant using the Deck 6 lounge for D event and closing off a portion of the VCL for use by the CL. I think brand loyalty is really important in the cruise industry.

Yes, the repo. We were on both. The numbers kept getting bigger. Now on the first sailing from Galveston and the numbers have returned to normal. About 200 Diamond and above.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Forums mobile app

My hubby always tells people he only married me for my status...... ha!

He's probably been on enough cruises now to get the status on his own... but it was nice to be able to include him in mine when we married. Before that, his card was always different, and our perks were too.

I think all the TAs I have been on on RCI have at or more htan 50% Diamond or above---those cruises draw the loyal crowd.

We just finished the Freedom TA: We got a giggle out of all the people queuing up in front of each lounge (they set up one overflow just for D+ and above and another overflow for us lowly Ds) for a good half hour before each happy hour---and enjoyed how easy it was to get drinks at the bars with our coupons while everyone was in those lounges---we like meeting all kinds of people, no matter status. I did pop into the lounge twice over 14 days----for a much desised choclate covered strawberry.

Both of my kids were Diamond by 18----with nights they had sailed and we did not even start with RCI until they were 12 and 14 (hmmm--oldest might have been a couple of nights short until the next cruise after turning 18 actually). They also have the highest status on DCL and a decent status on Princess.

There are more and more young people sailing too, OP is correct---and I suppose that could result in a cut in program benefits or restructuring tiers at some point---or it could show that the program is working to keep repeat cruisers with the line and encourage RCI to keep it up.

My kids say we play favorites! On our coat tails or oldest made emerald, the middle diamond, and the youngest (still under 18) makes diamond plus this year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same here. My oldest is Diamond by her own cruises, my youngest Diamond Plus by me even though she's only been on 2 cruises...

Eventually, all the D, D+ and P will be crammed in their status lounges trying to out flaunt themselves and the few Gold members left in the schooner bar and boleros will have the place to themselves. ;p

dp

Nope, I spend far more time in the Schooner bar than I do in the DL. So you will just have to put up with me being there.:D

We’re late in life cruisers being 65 years old and only took our first cruise in July 2016, due to the fact that we had a 40 ft motorhome and did all our touring/vacationing in it. We finally decided to sell the coach and start cruising. It’s really nice to let someone else drive for a while.

I’ve developed this obsession of reaching Diamond before it possibly gets pushed farther out of reach based on all the changes that seem to be taking place, so we’ve jumped on the fast track and have been booking Junior Suites and one GS. Only 11 more points until we can join you guys in the DL! I hope there’ll be room for two more.....

We'll keep you 2 seats and get the first round in.

You realize that since every child who has a parent that is Diamond or up automatically gains that status, there are a lot of kids with that status before they're 18

True, but my daughter is diamond on her own besides her inherited status. She cruises with friends families from time to time and reached diamond before us. RCL does not know how to transfer minor children status to their parents when the minor children have higher status than the parents :hearteyes:

I was reading another thread and someone posted this comment, " On my last RCI cruise there were over 1000 Diamond and above membersout of just over 3000 passengers. They had to convert a large lounge to the Diamond Lounge."

It made me think about how family-friendly cruising has become. I would think that some kids could very well be Diamond by their 18th birthday. It seems that there could be way more people hitting this status at earlier ages. I wonder if RC would raise the # of pts needed to hit the next status or just continue to make room for the larger number? Just wondering what some of you professional cruisers think :) I'll probably never make Emerald but it seems like so many young people will do that easily!

My Daughter is a Diamond going on Diamond+ by her own right and she is only 12 yrs old.

Can't wait to be at SEA!!!

DD

Nope.

Yep.

Wow, no wonder there are so many then, and it will continue to grow. Completely unsustainable model.

Nope, I spend far more time in the Schooner bar than I do in the DL. So you will just have to put up with me being there.:D

The Schooner bar is our favourite bar too.

Well OK. If you promise not to flaunt, I'll tell the bar manager to let you in with us Gold Members;)

dp

The loyalty perks are important to maintain & increase revenues for RCCL . :D

In general cruise prices have raised quite a bit over the last 6 to 7 years & the perks are a very tiny part of the cost to profits :cool:

This is somewhat true. The net cost of the seemingly important (but relatively insignificant) status perks on mass market lines are pretty much a rounding error in those cruise lines' bottom line expenditures.

A most interesting study would be an analysis of the true reasons why folks maintain that kind of loyalty (beyond perceived value).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is somewhat true. The net cost of the seemingly important (but relatively insignificant) status perks on mass market lines are pretty much a rounding error in those cruise lines' bottom line expenditures.

A most interesting study would be an analysis of the true reasons why folks maintain that kind of loyalty (beyond perceived value).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know but the BOGO coupon on a can of Coke they gave me on our last cruise adds up ;p

But no matterwhat it costs them it is sure to keep me loyal ;)

dp

You realize that since every child who has a parent that is Diamond or up automatically gains that status, there are a lot of kids with that status before they're 18

Yes, I realized that. I was more or less referring to when those kids are 18+ and on their own. I've never been in the D lounge so I don't know if people take their kids there often. In my mind, it's filled with an older crowd but maybe one day, it will be a bunch of 20-30 yr olds! A take-over! Haha Or like someone said, the younger crowds may go with more exotic-type vacations overall.