Differences Between Caribbean, Baltic, and Alaskan Cruises

cruzanisfun

So...I have been on 6 Caribbean cruises and 1 Alaskan cruise (that just happened in September this year). My husband and I noticed that the vibe on board during our Alaskan cruise was COMPLETELY different than any we've been on in the Caribbean. I guess this can be expected since the weather is different and there aren't people hanging out at the pool much, etc. We have now booked a Baltic cruise for next June, and I'm curious to know how the on board experience will be. What's the vibe like? I assume (as Americans) we will be in the minority. Is that true?

Thanks for the help!

We did a Baltic cruise in 2002 (on Princess). I do not recall being a minority as Americans, in fact everyone on our (small) roll call was from the US.

The major difference (and this is true also for Mediterranean cruises) is that with the cruise being so port intensive, there is not as much going on at night since everyone is pretty tired.

Caribbean cruises are all about relaxation, and fun....after all, you've seen one island, you've seen 'em all, or very close! It is more of a vacation vibe. Alaskan cruises are all about Alaska....same with European cruises, unless you live in those areas! For cruises other than the Caribbean, you are going for the sights and history, in most cases. More time OFF the ship than on, so the ship isn't really as important for most people.

Thanks everyone! I figured it would be more like my Alaska experience. I have done some very port intensive cruises in the Caribbean so I will be prepared for that part of it. I'm just excited to see a bunch of countries that I have never been to! :-)

We did a 13-night Baltics cruise on Royal Caribbean out of Harwich, England a few years ago. I would guess half to two-thirds were from UK and Ireland, majority of the rest were from North America along with some from Oz & NZ. It was a wonderful cruise, one of the best we've taken. You really need to pace yourself and not overdo it, as it is very port intensive as others have said. Demographics were generally an older, well traveled group, and overall very friendly. We actually were there during one of the biggest heat waves to hit Northern Europe in years, so the pool areas were quite busy on the sea days, which we were not expecting, but it was great! Have a great cruise, you will love it.

On European port intensive cruises most of the time we were so tired at night we could only swim in the pool, rather than attending nightly entertainment. But entertainment still was provided. Not everybody onboard to discover all those new places.

I will echo what CB said. People go to the Caribbean to relax on the beach or enjoy the activities created just for cruisepassengers/tourists. Like cave tubing and zip lines. You go to Alaska for nature and the wildlife. So often you have a different demographic or mindset for those places. Europe is yet different - people go there for the history and scenery (Norwegian Fjords). In the Caribbean, port talks are to send you to the recommended shopping points, and sell excursions. In Alaska, it is the same, but Alaska requires them to inform you that the stores recommended have paid for that. In Europe, there are no shopping talks. No DI, Little Switzerland, etc. You may have port talks to sell excursions, and you might get a schematic map. Guide books are of much more help in Europe as opposed to the Caribbean. A copy of Rick Steves' Northern European Cruise Ports might assist you in evaluating your sightseeing options. EM

Cannot forget how many "do-it-yourself" cruisers we ran in to in Baltic ports, all with a Rick Steves book. But I was bad: just tore out the relevant pages and took them with us. I found that his maps left something to be desired, but if you simply followed the written directions, he was spot on. We had a lovely time. The Baltics IS all about destination. And walking. And cobblestones.

Cannot forget how many "do-it-yourself" cruisers we ran in to in Baltic ports, all with a Rick Steves book. But I was bad: just tore out the relevant pages and took them with us. I found that his maps left something to be desired, but if you simply followed the written directions, he was spot on. We had a lovely time. The Baltics IS all about destination. And walking. And cobblestones.

You weren't bad at all. In fact, Rick Steves' recommends you tear out and carry only the chapters you need. Otherwise the books are a real brick! EM

You weren't bad at all. In fact, Rick Steves' recommends you tear out and carry only the chapters you need. Otherwise the books are a real brick! EM

And he sells a binder you can use to hold that day's torn-out pages together! I don't have one yet but it is on my list for my next order from him.

Stan

LOL. We had our Rick Steves book with us in Talinn, and another couple from our roll call seeing us with that book joined us for the walk through town.