Royal Caribbean Cruise Terminal Cozumel Fraud Jewelry

THe watch prices on the ship are not very good. Even the discount they offer doesn't get close to the real price. Now with last years watch, my buddy traveling with me loved it. (It was a Navy Blue Angels edition and he was a Navy pilot in his younger days). He took me, with the watch on, and my purchase receipts to the ship store and after several manager reviews, they did match the price. It was roughly 50% discount off their "sale" price. It was nice to see that RCL stood behind their "we match any offer" policy. Actually, other than the way we were able to do it, I don't know how they would ever have to match a price. They insist on a written offer, and no island jewelry store will give you one.

Beautiful watch, and thanks for the price match info.

There are three prices on diamonds.

The first is the price you paid. For example $2000.

The second is the appraised. For example $4000.

The third is what the guy who appraised it will actually pay you for the diamond, maybe $500.

So very true. People get all excited when their jewelry purchase appraises for twice what they paid - well it SHOULD. And to think that you would get anywhere near that amount if you tried to sell it is insanity.

It is beyond my comprehension as to why someone would buy jewelry in another country as opposed to their own local jewelry store.....where they have to "maintain" their reputation and if you have a problem, you can just jump in your car and pay them a visit.

People seem to think the Islands have better prices and values. When I see someone post "I just bought a diamond bracelet for $2000 and it appraised for $4000", I just cringe. Old saying folks....IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE....

Well,

I have bought many pieces from the islands, why? 1) Design, nothing here compares. 2) If I have a problem, they have never not taken care of it, they pay the return shipping, the repairs and the shipping to me. 3) the prices depending on what you buy are better, can't touch it here, took a picture and showed it to a jeweler here, they said it was a minimum of $1500 to create, I got mine for $800. Took it to a jeweler and they appraised it for $2000.

I like blue diamonds, they are rare around here, I checked,,, tiny stones, plain designs that were over priced... So I guess it all depends where you shop and what you are after. I do go back to just 3 jewelers in the island but they have all been excellent with service and customer satisfaction. :hearteyes:

So very true. People get all excited when their jewelry purchase appraises for twice what they paid - well it SHOULD. And to think that you would get anywhere near that amount if you tried to sell it is insanity.

It isn't about selling it, appraisals are about insurance, I have mine all insured.

THe watch prices on the ship are not very good. Even the discount they offer doesn't get close to the real price. Now with last years watch, my buddy traveling with me loved it. (It was a Navy Blue Angels edition and he was a Navy pilot in his younger days). He took me, with the watch on, and my purchase receipts to the ship store and after several manager reviews, they did match the price. It was roughly 50% discount off their "sale" price. It was nice to see that RCL stood behind their "we match any offer" policy. Actually, other than the way we were able to do it, I don't know how they would ever have to match a price. They insist on a written offer, and no island jewelry store will give you

citizen-jy8031-56l-navihawk-a-t-mens-chronograph-quartz-watch-2.jpg

Nice watch!! but I do indeed get written offers, so they will if you ask. But what good it would do me on the ship, after leaving that port, and the store not open during port time, is another issue.... they are gone and I have nothing but a quote and a possible price match... if price matching is the reason why not just buy it when you saw it?

Nice watch!! but I do indeed get written offers, so they will if you ask. But what good it would do me on the ship, after leaving that port, and the store not open during port time, is another issue.... they are gone and I have nothing but a quote and a possible price match... if price matching is the reason why not just buy it when you saw it?

Interesting. Every time I tried to get a written offer, the jeweler refused. Glad you could get one. If you do have a written offer, you can take it to the ship store, even after you sailed away, and they should match it. We had already sailed when my buddy made the price match request. For me, I did already buy the watch at the on shore jeweler earlier that day. It was my buddy that "wanted one too" and that was his way to get it.

Nice watch indeed, but with all the features it offers and all that is going on with it, how do you tell what time it is?? :D;)

Wander if should be nervous. I bought an $2900 ring from Effy jewelry store on the cruise ship carnival vista. Came with a certification and appraisal. I researched the store and it looked legit. Think I could have been scammed?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I'm buying jewelry in a foreign port, it's not as an investment, but because I really like it. I am fully aware that, if I'm paying the low prices they will barter down to, I may not be getting the highest quality. But, if I feel good wearing it, I just don't care.

Great attitude,if you like it thats all that really matters.

I was told Jewellers work on up to 300% mark up so if something was $3000 if you wanted it start at $1000 and negotiate.

We have been in jewellers in the Caribbean and elsewhere and observed people paying the asking price without even trying to negotiate.

This is why we don't buy jewelry when on a cruise.

We stick to purchasing items at home.

Good that you shared the name of the store and the experience.

Keith

I have to disagree with you. If you purchase jewelry from those recognized by the ship or cruise line, you are safe. I brought a ring recently from a recognized jeweler and recently received a package in the mail from New York from Gemology Institute of America (GIA) with a photo of my ring giving detail info about it. I have in the past received a certificate from the jeweler - Kay’s Fine Jewelry. This is proof that some jewelers in the Caribbean aren’t out to get you or your money.

Edited by Plum Happy
provided more info

Wander if should be nervous. I bought an $2900 ring from Effy jewelry store on the cruise ship carnival vista. Came with a certification and appraisal. I researched the store and it looked legit. Think I could have been scammed?

They are safe, they are headquartered in New York, Royal recognizes them as a trusted jeweler.

Sorry for your issues but just as a point of clarification, as Biker19 and island lady referenced RCI does not have a cruise terminal in Cozumel - they simply dock at a commercial pier there along with several other cruise lines. The shops at the head of the pier area past the security checkpoint are all privately owned and not affiliated with the cruise lines. As such, buyer beware. Your post IMO implies an affiliation with RCI which is inaccurate and misleading.

Thanks... ^ +1 :)

I have to disagree with you. If you purchase jewelry from those recognized by the ship or cruise line, you are safe. I brought a ring recently from a recognized jeweler and recently received a package in the mail from New York from Gemology Institute of America (GIA) with a photo of my ring giving detail info about it. I have in the past received a certificate from the jeweler - Kay’s Fine Jewelry. This is proof that some jewelers in the Caribbean aren’t out to get you or your money.

The idea that a cruise line recognized jeweler won’t rip you off is silly. It’s just a kickback relationship.

I battled with Diamonds International for a year, literally, before reaching an acceptable outcome after a diamond they sold me didn’t appraise at the quality they represented it at.

The cruise line and the shopper program were of no assistance.

We still love our jewelry and have had other more positive experiences, but you can’t assume a recommended seller will always do right by you.

Sorry for your issues but just as a point of clarification, as Biker19 and island lady referenced RCI does not have a cruise terminal in Cozumel - they simply dock at a commercial pier there along with several other cruise lines. The shops at the head of the pier area past the security checkpoint are all privately owned and not affiliated with the cruise lines. As such, buyer beware. Your post IMO implies an affiliation with RCI which is inaccurate and misleading.

Exactly!!!

They are safe, they are headquartered in New York, Royal recognizes them as a trusted jeweler.

Just an FYI many are based IN NYC.... my repairs have all been to there and sent from there, they don't go back to the island, they are repaired here.. ;). some are based in California. but the origina designs are created there :)

There was a thread a few weeks ago about a watch purchase on a cruise ship. One of those watches with lots of dials and knobs. No manual. The purchaser took it to a jewelry store only to learn the knobs were there only for show and they did not connect to anything.

Some friends got some really good deals on suits bought in Asia. Fell apart the first time they were cleaned. Cheap thread.

What did he expect for $10-$20. I think the ship pays about $3 each for them according to prices for the brand is bulk quantity over the internet.

You said it better than I could.

M

Sadly, its very buyer beware. For me, I buy a decent watch every cruise as my "souvenir". Nothing too expensive but nice. For example I got a Citizen eco-drive last year. What I'll do though is pre shop before the cruise for three or four I am looking for. I'll get a price I'm willing to pay but I will also get a list of brand authorized sellers in each port. And I'll only consider buying from them.

Last year I wanted an eco-drive. In St. Maarten there was an authorized dealer but they didn't have what I wanted. There were also several other shops selling them but some looked really skeevy. I ended up buying mine at Kay's Fine Jewelry in St. Kitts. I do recommend them.

Know before you go.

FWIW, Amazon is a certified Citizen retailer, so they can offer good pricing as well as Citizen factory warranty. They have a Citizen Eco Drive that I would like to buy at 40% off retail. Retail is $495, and Amazon has it for $247.50 with Prime free shipping, and verified factory warranty.

We cruised on the LOS last year and purchased a few Crown of Light pieces from Diamonds International. They are gorgeous. DI is one of the shops that Royal promotes and the man on Royal (Adam the Jewelry guy as we call him) was with us every step of the way. We got a great deal on our purchases. We had them checked out once we got home and got many compliments on them and was told that we got ourselves a great deal. Just make sure that you stick with the Jewelers that Royal promotes and you should be good.

If you buy at Kay’s Jewelers or mall jewelry stores back home, yes the jewelry shops in the islands will be a better deal (typically). If you have a relationship with a jeweler back home that doesn’t rip you off, then I would suggest working with your local jeweler. Now, if you’re buying $200 items, big deal, get it where you want. But if you are buying a huge purchase, I would recommend leg work before buying on an island. Like another poster here, I bought a small $300 ring for my daughter from Diamonds International and it broke as soon as we got home. It was a ship sponsored store and we registered our purchase. Was still a royal pain getting it fix and then finally replaced. I’m not saying all the jewelry stores in the islands will rip you off - there are legit businesses down there. But, any issues, while able to be handled are a lot more difficult than just walking into the jeweler you have a relationship with at home.

We had a problem with an item purchased on a Celebrity ship. It was HAUTE Jewels. They are also on some Royal Caribbean ships.

The bracelet (which was not at all expensive), broke, was lost and then someone turned it into Lost and Found .... this was after the cruise, not on the ship.

I remembered it had a "Lifetime Warranty." So I sent it in. In a few days it was returned as Not At This Address. Actually, Google Earth showed it to be a run down garage in a poor part of Miami.:mad: So watch out for them onboard the ship also

I did have another cruise on Celebrity, brought the bracelet with me, and the person in charge of the shops on board did get me a replacement.