Diamond Princess - Japan - Forced Traditional Dining

Brisbane41

Should Forced Traditional Dining on Diamond Princess based in Japan be abolished  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Should Forced Traditional Dining on Diamond Princess based in Japan be abolished

• Yes - Abolish forced traditional dining and reinstate anytime dining
    • No - Keep all passengers on forced traditional dining and do not allow any time dining.

Haha very funny, what a joke!

Perhaps you are living in a dream world totally not understanding where I am coming from!

Actually, we were hoping what you wrote was a joke: here is the offensive part of your OP:

To cut the long story short the forced traditional dining on this ship is causing the dining experience to feel uncomfortable, awkward and turn it into a totally unpleasant dining experience. The reason it is like this is that not all people turn up each night either leaving few people on the table or some people dining alone, the dining companions may be totally incompatible based on age, demographics, background, political beliefs among other reasons.

I submit to you that an OPEN MIND is all that's necessary to not only cope with but also ENJOY cultural diversity.

Keep the traditional dining, it is the tradition of cruising.

We like a table of 6 to 8 in the MDR, 1st sitting. Like to keep to traditions.:cool: Dinner in the MDR with same table mates and same waiters is a highlight of the day for us and fairly necessary as I am Coeliac - GF, having to order my meal the previous evening. Thus they know where to find me at traditional dining. No lining up or missing out. Way to go. Sure if we missed our sitting because of a late tour we would go eat in the Horizon Court, no problems.

If Princess abolished traditional fixed time dining then many traditional cruisers would depart Princess I reckon.:halo:

But I can understand why some pax like ADT, same as some like a table for 2. But not for us. Standby for incoming.

They will always have traditional dining in the International Dining Room. Club Class has really screwed up their ability to use the other alternative restaurants, and the main issue is that if you want to eat in the main dining room then you have an allocated table, most of the time people do not turn up, seats are empty, people will request to change tables and the table will not get allocated more people. What is happening on Diamond Princess is a total disaster.

At least with anytime dining you meet much more people and a wider variety and if you are unfortunate enough to draw the short straw and dine with people that just do not match your personality or age group then it is for only 1 night opposed to 15 nights.

Actually, we were hoping what you wrote was a joke: here is the offensive part of your OP:

To cut the long story short the forced traditional dining on this ship is causing the dining experience to feel uncomfortable, awkward and turn it into a totally unpleasant dining experience. The reason it is like this is that not all people turn up each night either leaving few people on the table or some people dining alone, the dining companions may be totally incompatible based on age, demographics, background, political beliefs among other reasons.

I submit to you that an OPEN MIND is all that's necessary to not only cope with but also ENJOY cultural diversity.

Which is why I submit that I would have enjoyed anytime dining and the option to dine with Japanese guests instead of the usual culprits who want to impose their views on others. I do not want to be stuck on a table every night with people who are more than twice my age, slow the service down so that I cannot enjoy the shows, and people that I just have absolutely nothing in common with.

I do understand the OP. The last time we were placed at a table for 8. One couple did not show up the entire cruise. Another couple argued through dinner every night. The other gentleman was racist, obscene, quite rude and showed no respect for women. My husband and I tried to ignore the others but dinner was just too stressful. Although we explained the situation and requested another table, we were told to go to the buffet or elsewhere to eat. Just too stressful. Chose not to cruise any longer.

Which is why I submit that I would have enjoyed anytime dining and the option to dine with Japanese guests instead of the usual culprits who want to impose their views on others. I do not want to be stuck on a table every night with people who are more than twice my age, slow the service down so that I cannot enjoy the shows, and people that I just have absolutely nothing in common with.

It will never be as nice as that country club, now will it?

We were on the Diamond for 40 days, and we didn't mind the fixed seating dining. We normally prefer ATD, but since it wasn't an option, we chose the late traditional. We had great waiters, and they know our preferences, and they spoke fluent English, which was terrific, as they each had a great sense of humor, and we enjoyed them quite a bit.

That being said, two of our four adult kids were with us for the first two cruises, and we had a table for 4. We were assured of great company each evening. After they left, we had 2 more cruises, the same table and waiters, but no one else was assigned to our table. Another of our CC friends would join us at the table from time to time, which was lovely. I can just about promise you that the views my husband and I have politically are probably incompatible with hers, but we never discussed politics, and our conversation about religion were quite delightful, as while in Japan one also encounter Shinto and several forms of Buddhism.

We were really not inconvenienced by the lack of ATD on our cruise, and frankly, the % of Japanese passengers fluctuated pretty significantly over the 4 cruises. We knew there was no ATD at the time we booked, so it was part of the deal, just as it is on the Pacific Princess and was on the Ocean/Tahitian Princess. So, I guess you can choose to be miserable and unhappy about it, or go with the flow and make the best of it.

I do understand the OP. The last time we were placed at a table for 8. One couple did not show up the entire cruise. Another couple argued through dinner every night. The other gentleman was racist, obscene, quite rude and showed no respect for women. My husband and I tried to ignore the others but dinner was just too stressful. Although we explained the situation and requested another table, we were told to go to the buffet or elsewhere to eat. Just too stressful. Chose not to cruise any longer.

I'm sorry you had such bad luck --- I just have to ask ..... if you gave up cruising because of it, why do you still read and post on a cruising board?

We've been lucky, I guess, most of our table mates have been - good to very good, with a few that were just OK and more that were outstanding. We've cruised again with several table mates, that are now friends.

We started cruising before there was an option, other than traditional -- so far we have no interest trying anytime. We value the experiences we've had meeting people from varied backgrounds. (We did have a couple once from Quebec, they were absolutely lovely -- We went bar hopping with them every night after diner.) :D

I hope you are happier with your other travel options

I believe the reason Diamond does it this way has to do with the fixed number of waiters they have that are sufficiently fluent in Japanese to properly serve them. While the OP might want to sit at a table with a group of Japanese, from what I have seen of his attitude it is probable that most of them would not want to sit with him. I remember from our roll call when he was calling members ignorant because they used a different Japanese word than he did in describing a Japanese bathing site.

We were on the Diamond for 40 days, and we didn't mind the fixed seating dining. We normally prefer ATD, but since it wasn't an option, we chose the late traditional. We had great waiters, and they know our preferences, and they spoke fluent English, which was terrific, as they each had a great sense of humor, and we enjoyed them quite a bit.

That being said, two of our four adult kids were with us for the first two cruises, and we had a table for 4. We were assured of great company each evening. After they left, we had 2 more cruises, the same table and waiters, but no one else was assigned to our table. Another of our CC friends would join us at the table from time to time, which was lovely. I can just about promise you that the views my husband and I have politically are probably incompatible with hers, but we never discussed politics, and our conversation about religion were quite delightful, as while in Japan one also encounter Shinto and several forms of Buddhism.

We were really not inconvenienced by the lack of ATD on our cruise, and frankly, the % of Japanese passengers fluctuated pretty significantly over the 4 cruises. We knew there was no ATD at the time we booked, so it was part of the deal, just as it is on the Pacific Princess and was on the Ocean/Tahitian Princess. So, I guess you can choose to be miserable and unhappy about it, or go with the flow and make the best of it.

Top post, thanks:D

Hi,we cruise for itineraries and to chill out on our own.Even with 3000 other people that is still possible.We like a drink first and then eat late,so we always have a table for 2.Why should we be told to pay in speciality restuarants or go to the buffet.ATD is perfect for us and we don't want to sit with a bunch of strangers,end of.We do make friends but mainly on landtours where we get to know people on a bus of 50 + for a week or so and often gel with at least 1 other couple.Cheers,Brian.

That is exactly my point. I tried to put the variety of reasons as politely as possible without getting to personal about individuals, but unfortunately this recent cruise I drew the short straw in relation to table allocation.

I believe the reason Diamond does it this way has to do with the fixed number of waiters they have that are sufficiently fluent in Japanese to properly serve them. While the OP might want to sit at a table with a group of Japanese, from what I have seen of his attitude it is probable that most of them would not want to sit with him. I remember from our roll call when he was calling members ignorant because they used a different Japanese word than he did in describing a Japanese bathing site.

So there we are, my suspicions confirmed. The word we use in the USA for what the OP described is "bigotry."

What a shame it seems to be tolerated here.

We LOVE talking to and meeting people from all walks of life who speak all different languages! We just don't want to meet them at dinner.

For us it is not relaxing in that setting.

I would hope that on a cruise most people would leave their politics at home since I also don't want to deal with that while on vacation!!

BTW we have also found that we can get the same wait staff every night with Anytime Dining by just asking for the same section of tables each night if we like the staff. If we don't like them then we can switch areas.

I find your post hard to believe, in that we have never met any Maitre'd that would say anything close to "go to the buffet or elsewhere to eat." In reality, they will bend over backwards to put folks at a different table (and sometimes even in a different MDR on Princess). The only time (in over 100 cruises) that we have seen a request turned down was on 1 small ship where every table and seat was full. On Princess, if it would turn out to be impossible to find you another table...the Maitre'd would have likely suggested you simply switch to Open Dining (we realize this would not have been an option on the Diamond Princess Japan cruise). The other times we have seen folks turned down was when they wanted to change to a 2-top...and there were simply none available. In that case the couple was given a choice of sharing a larger table or doing Open Dining.

And by the way, we noticed in another of your posts some wrong info about Guarantees. Booking a guarantee with Princess is very common (we have a MD guarantee for an upcoming 34 day Golden Princess Cruise). DW and I actually prefer guarantees in many cases and have routinely done them on several cruise lines (including RCI, Princess, Celebrity, HAL, and Azamara). About half our guarantees have resulted in some pretty nice upgrades

Hank

I believe the reason Diamond does it this way has to do with the fixed number of waiters they have that are sufficiently fluent in Japanese to properly serve them. While the OP might want to sit at a table with a group of Japanese, from what I have seen of his attitude it is probable that most of them would not want to sit with him.

I don't know who wants to sit with whom, but I think in 99 44/100 of the cases princess is correct in assuming

that english speaking folks are most comfortable sitting with other english speaking folks, and that japanese

speaking folks are most comfortable sitting with other japanese speaking folks.

Should someone, like the original poster, desire something different they should discuss with the

maitre d', just like any other dining special request.

There are no waiters fluent in Japanese, they have a Japanese written menu with numbers beside it, the passenger points to it which corresponds to a number and the waiter order the food. It is as simple as that.

To burst your bubble I actually met and spent time with more Japanese passengers on this ship than English speaking ones. It was just coincidence really as to what personal interests are and where people go and who they meet up with.

To the main point is that on the cruises based in Asia, Americans are now in the vast minority. The Asians have the numbers on that ship followed by the Australians, British and Europeans which also outnumber the Americans. One of the main dining rooms of Diamond Princess has now been exclusively allocated to Club Class which seems to feature the anytime dining option. Although some might like it, this Club Class has drastically effected the number of people who volunteer for traditional or anytime dining and reduces the number of people one might meet at dinner on a cruise.

Being 36 years old it would be totally awesome if I could end up on a dining table with people of a similar age group. With the forced traditional dining that does not happen. On anytime dining when you turn up at the door they will greet you and try to put you on a table that matches your personality, age and how you greet them at the door. The traditional dining does not allow that option. Even worst Princess has something in their system where they ask a question about "household income" depending on what you answer also has determined what type of table you end up with on traditional dining and this is a true fact.

All I am saying is that for me anytime dining works much better and I have met a more and wider variety of people from all over the world that I keep in touch with where the chances of meeting different people each night are totally random and fast paced opposed to a predetermined idea of traditional dining.

The traditional dining for me on Diamond Princess based in Japan is bad because if you draw the short straw and get people you are totally incompatible with based on personality, age, demographics, beliefs (some of which can be determined by nationality, political ideals etc) then you are stuck with them the entire cruise.

Even worst Princess has something in their system where they ask a question about "household income" depending on what you answer also has determined what type of table you end up with on traditional dining and this is a true fact.

Not sure where this is on the Princess site, but whenever I see this question on "any" site, I just choose any dollar range or leave it blank. I am either rich or poor. Never have given the actual amount. Where can I find this on the Princess site? Might want to be extremely rich on our June cruise.

What an interesting bias the OP shows! I have almost always opted for Traditional Dining, and I have never felt that being assigned to a dining room table with three other couples (my usual experience) was uncomfortable or awkward. There have been some minor issues, but nothing serious. One cruise, we had a German couple who did not speak English and that was awkward – after the second night, they met some more Germans and switched to another table – which was far more comfortable for everyone!

But it is far more often that we meet new people to exchange tour excursion information with, perhaps who we will go out on private shore excursions with, gossip with about the ship’s activities and occasionally who we will keep in touch with after the cruise and maybe even cruise with again.

“Totally incompatible based on age, demographics, background, political beliefs among other reasons.” The maitre d’ can help, or if you are so hard to place based on your age, demographics, etc., you can request a table for one.

I was cruising long before the Anytime Dinning became popular, so I do not consider having only Traditional Dining as being FORCED into Traditional Dining. That is the way it always was until recently.

“Totally incompatible based on age, demographics, background, political beliefs among other reasons.” The maitre d’ can help, or if you are so hard to place based on your age, demographics, etc., you can request a table for one.

I was cruising long before the Anytime Dinning became popular, so I do not consider having only Traditional Dining as being FORCED into Traditional Dining. That is the way it always was until recently.

I was also cruising long before anytime dining came, and I dare say I have done many more cruises than you have. My first cruise was for 49 nights on a half world cruise where it was traditional dining and the tables rotated every sector of the voyage. It was fun. For the first couple of nights there was a tentative booking for a table, the head waiters and restaurant managers went around getting to know everyone and then rearranged a few things to match certain passengers with others and in some cases rotated officers at different tables for further enhancement of the dining experience.

I could easily say that I have done over 250 nights at sea on traditional dining.

Since anytime dining turned up, specialty restaurants, things have changed so much. Not everyone goes to the main dining room anymore and what was good for the past is no longer good for the present.

To cut the long story short the forced traditional dining on this ship is causing the dining experience to feel uncomfortable, awkward and turn it into a totally unpleasant dining experience.....

I personally think forced traditional dining should be abolished as it leads to awkward, poor, unpleasant and uncomfortable dining experiences.

Bumping this up. After more than one extremely uncomfortable MDR experiences we will never sail on a Princess ship with forced traditional dining again.

Would it bother you if you were placed on a table for 8 and only 1 other person came down to eat and you were travelling solo. First night of the cruise? That is what happened to me.

No, it wouldn't bother me at all. I would have enough empathy to realize that many people are jet lagged, tired, still unpacking, etc on the first night of the cruise and may prefer not to eat in the MDR at that time. I am also aware that if some diners don't show up, we will be served and be able to get out of the dining room earlier. So why is that a problem for you?

No, it wouldn't bother me at all. I would have enough empathy to realize that many people are jet lagged, tired, still unpacking, etc on the first night of the cruise and may prefer not to eat in the MDR at that time. I am also aware that if some diners don't show up, we will be served and be able to get out of the dining room earlier. So why is that a problem for you?

Because it is a regular problem for the duration of the entire cruise for the past 4 years of doing that ship in Japan.

For the almost the entire duration of that cruise there were 6 empty seats on a table for 8 with two total strangers. A pman turned up on the second night and never came back down again, I saw him the following night in the bar and he said he asked for an earlier sitting and was moved to Club Class. A third person came down occasionally, I got tired of it so I spend 3 nights in Sabatini's, 3 nights in the Sushi Restaurant and another 1 night in the steak house.

In 2016 I was in a full suite and on the first night had a specialty restaurant pass. By the second night I arrive at my allocated table of 6 only to find they have reallocated my seat because I did not turn up on the first night. Seeing "suite" stamped on the cruise card they could not turn down my dining allocation so simply added another seat to the table.

In my opinion it is a holiday, why be uncomfortable on a holiday. Traditional dining has always existed for those who want it. However any-time dining and meeting many new people with a full table has always suited me better than this stupid system they have set up on the Diamond Princess.