Dress code being changed without any notice

thon

Don't know if this has been posted prior, but there is no such thing as a short sleeved dress shirt after your 10 years old.

Your misguided opinion is showing much more than any wit or wisdom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DH and I always make an effort to dress for dinner according to ship guidelines whether or not we're dining in the MDR. That being said, I guess that we're in the minority and are only concerned about the dress of our tablemates...we request a table for 2 unless travelling with friends.

Don't know if this has been posted prior, but there is no such thing as a short sleeved dress shirt after your 10 years old.

I guess the 8,420,000 references to "short sleeve dress shirt" in google must all be talking about something that doesn't exist:*

Good thing they took away the formal nights, one goes on vacation and wants to relax. Currently the airlines charge you for everything, even for going to the bathroom. It is a problem to travel with so much luggage and that it does not wrinkle.

There are very elegant short sleeve shirts like a Guayabera, and some very exclusive polo brands. I plan to go to the MDR one chic night with my Guayabera Yucateca and nobody should tell me anything.

We discuss the subjects of long sleeve vs short sleeve and number of evening chic nights but a few years ago there was a real problem with dress codes that resolved itself on these boards. Little history on this first, what I'm going to discuss was when Celebrity had formal nights and there was an excellent advocate posting as Celebrity Cruises on the board. Also, at the time many people expressed on this board they were booking specialty restaurants so they didn't have to bring formal clothes.

Issue was couple of the ships decided to go rogue and have the Specialty restaurants enforce a formal dress code on formal nights. Obviously this caused a problem in that people did not bring formal clothes with the intent of eating in the Specialties. The Celebrity Cruises poster got wind of it and she apparently advised someone at corporate. The practice almost immediately stopped and they reverted back to the what was the stated dress code.

I hope those pax impacted by the rogue ships were suitably compensated.

It's a shame Celebrity aren't brave enough to have another advocate posting on here to update us of changes and deal with any genuine issues like the one you mention. They do have people monitoring cruise critic according to ship board staff, not that that will come as a surprise to many. And whilst it's inevitable that some will point out that cc members only represent a small number of cruisers, the fact is most onboard and many staff are well aware of this site.

When you change a pretty well defined Formal Night (by by definition and years of practice). to a new loosely defined Chic night (which I do like!), you will get a lot of debate as everybody tries to fill the void with their own preferences and definitions. Here is my 2 cents. Just wear what you like-formal, LS, SS, smart casual, whatever - except shorts(men), T-shirts, ripped clothes, and bathing suits.

As an old outdated misrepresented leftover it seems to me that one physical ship cannot be all things to all people.

Cruising evolved from an upscale experience to being touted as a freeform anything you like experience. But some like it that way and some like it this way. Some enjoy the pleasure of fine dining with the relevant attire. Some just want.

It is mathematically clear that the MDR is an inefficient and costly method to service thousands. It simply cannot be done efficiently

These megathons are physically saddled with a large expanse of footage and kitchen technology that is evolving into something less

less practical. We have three groupings: buffet, serviced, and catered.

Seems to me if you want value, serve yourself. All others should be cost based. Period.

But how to rebuild the physical ship. Well they did not see this coming, but it is a very solvable mathematics/architectural problem.

Let them eat cake.

As an old outdated misrepresented leftover it seems to me that one physical ship cannot be all things to all people.

Cruising evolved from an upscale experience to being touted as a freeform anything you like experience. But some like it that way and some like it this way. Some enjoy the pleasure of fine dining with the relevant attire. Some just want.

It is mathematically clear that the MDR is an inefficient and costly method to service thousands. It simply cannot be done efficiently

These megathons are physically saddled with a large expanse of footage and kitchen technology that is evolving into something less

less practical. We have three groupings: buffet, serviced, and catered.

Seems to me if you want value, serve yourself. All others should be cost based. Period.

But how to rebuild the physical ship. Well they did not see this coming, but it is a very solvable mathematics/architectural problem.

Let them eat cake.

Sorry, disagree, in the 90s the MDR was the only place you could eat, no specialties, no buffet for dinner. The food and service at the time was better than any of the Specialty restaurants on any of the Celebrity ships and this includes Blu and Luminae. I know, I was there.

I hope those pax impacted by the rogue ships were suitably compensated.

It's a shame Celebrity aren't brave enough to have another advocate posting on here to update us of changes and deal with any genuine issues like the one you mention. They do have people monitoring cruise critic according to ship board staff, not that that will come as a surprise to many. And whilst it's inevitable that some will point out that cc members only represent a small number of cruisers, the fact is most onboard and many staff are well aware of this site.

Mynki, they had a good one until a couple of years ago, related more than just quoting from the web site but she is gone.

Good thing they took away the formal nights, one goes on vacation and wants to relax. Currently the airlines charge you for everything, even for going to the bathroom. It is a problem to travel with so much luggage and that it does not wrinkle.

There are very elegant short sleeve shirts like a Guayabera, and some very exclusive polo brands. I plan to go to the MDR one chic night with my Guayabera Yucateca and nobody should tell me anything.

There should be no problem with your Guayabera. If anyone says anything, point out the sign at the entrance of the dining room.

Mynki, they had a good one until a couple of years ago, related more than just quoting from the web site but she is gone.

I know, I used to read her posts. :)

It's bizarre how Azamara can do such a good job whilst Celebrity just fail on these boards.

Food tastes better with friends. As per my stupid post, smaller more sociable worked. To the above Don, these smaller ships with no special dining options served hundreds not thousands and with perhaps twice or more service labor.

C'est la vie.

Actually the number they served was not much less than the current ships considering on any given night, people are eating in the buffet or specialties. They did have more people, that's the whole point.

The size of the dining room coupled with the reduction of staff.

Recall the singing and dancing waiters. Recall the size of the very

room. The decorations and the themes. The midnight buffet

extravaganzas. I would say the MDR meals are more comparable to

years gone by than most would care to admit.

Baked Alaska and Cherries Jubilee were pretty much the real things.

And not to forget the Bananas Foster name for Mr. Foster at Brennan's

And the short ribs with the bone marrow. The real Escargot.

Some is better, some is not. But, the basic cabins are much cheaper

adjusted for money value.

And the tips,,,the service staff now pay for their uniforms and more, so I

understand. This means there real income is DOWN. I add tips privately

and they have a SERIOUS effect.

Be serious, a suite cabin is twice the size and three times the work. And

barely a dollar or two more!

Back to the past, we sailed the inaugural of the Zenith, guests of the

owner. Being an industry consultant, he cornered me to visit all the food

stations to help interpret guest preferences.

I cannot understand why there is so much written about dress codes. I can understand why formal night went away. There isn't much call for formal attire. Formal night on cruises looked like a mix between old prom dresses and left over wedding attire. A few people really looked good. Most people looked terrible. Also, formal attire took up too much space in the luggage. The world has become more casual. Celebrity was smart enough to understand that formal night needed an alternative. Chic night means ????? I haven't a clue. I have been on Celebrity many times before and after the change. From what I see, there are many people who don't know or care about being chic. Dress well...nice pants with a collared shirt, dress, skirt and coordinated top or the equivalent are fine. I have seem shorts, flipflops, and crew neck tees in the MDR. Nobody seems to care. If nobody stops them from entering, it must be okay. It is wear what you want. It's your vacation.

What airline is requiring that you pay to use the bathroom? Is this a European thing on cut rate airlines??

You are absolutely right, except manufacturers and stores will call a sweatshirt a dress shirt if it helps their sales. Sadly, there are people who will fall for the ruse. Little by little long standing definitions are being redefined and in ways that tend to drag us all down.

I also must say that grown men who must wear a baseball cap in a restaurant or who can't abide wearing a long sleeve shirt for a few hours should consider vacationing in more relaxed venues. On average we Celebrity cruisers are an unimpressive bunch, physically and sartorially.

Just (yesterday) ......... Used to think that most men knew that wearing hats indoors (except in a few places such as sports bars) simply shows a complete ignorance of etiquette and class.

Hank

I still think that, Hank, because it's correct. I can go along with nearly anything except caps on heads in a dining area, and shirts with body hair poking out! And I'm from one of the red-neck hot spots - West Tennessee!;p

Doug