Why did waiter ask room number on LAST night?

DRPWDunIL

We gave our head waiter a cash tip in an envelope the last night of our cruise (as well as our asst waiter and cabin steward). Related or not, he asked our stateroom number shortly thereafter. Anybody else had this happen or have an explanation?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Because it goes to them and not into a shared tip pool.

Because IF the guest has removed the auto tip, the waiter would have to hand in the tip to the tipping pool. If you paid the autotip then he would get to keep what you gave him. So he or his supervisor will have to check. They take this very seriously.

My guess. They put your cabin number on the envelope. If you paid your gratuities, they will get to keep it. If you didn't pay your gratuities, it goes into a general pool.

Having given an additional tip to our waitperson on the last night, that is what she explained to me as well. When I gave her our number and said that this was in addition to the automatic gratuity, she appeared to be grateful. By the way, we did "Anytime Dining" on twelve of the fifteen nights and her service was so excellent we asked for her each night and were accommodated. On the one night when she did not have an open table, we were assigned to her husband who was also working in that dining room.

We gave our head waiter a cash tip in an envelope the last night of our cruise (as well as our asst waiter and cabin steward). Related or not, he asked our stateroom number shortly thereafter. Anybody else had this happen or have an explanation?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Why didn't you ask the head waiter that question?

One reason you are asked for your cabin number in "anytime dining" is to ensure that those with "traditional dining" aren't taking up tables that should be used for those with "anytime dining". They could also check your cruise card at the door, but perhaps it's just easier to ask at the table. I'm guessing they won't throw you out of the dining room, but maybe they are tracking it to see if it's a major problem, or just a few passengers.

One reason you are asked for your cabin number in "anytime dining" is to ensure that those with "traditional dining" aren't taking up tables that should be used for those with "anytime dining". They could also check your cruise card at the door, but perhaps it's just easier to ask at the table. I'm guessing they won't throw you out of the dining room, but maybe they are tracking it to see if it's a major problem, or just a few passengers.

Correct

We always choose Anytime and are most always asked our cabin for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While these other explanations seem very reasonable and correct, I have the most obvious alternative answer. Yes, it is very much against corporate policy, but perhaps the head waiter is a single individual and was inquiring to see if you were interested in any way or another. :evilsmile::rolleyes:

While these other explanations seem very reasonable and correct, I have the most obvious alternative answer. Yes, it is very much against corporate policy, but perhaps the head waiter is a single individual and was inquiring to see if you were interested in any way or another. :evilsmile::rolleyes:

Then the head waiter would not be interested in the cabin number. The head waiter would ask the same question all land based restaurants ask, "How many?"

They are starting to turn people away from ATD that are assigned to Traditional. These people are part of the long line proplem. Many people have complained about the long waits and I am glad they are checking on people to see if they are in the correct dining room.

We were asked for our cabin number at every meal in the dining room on our recent Ruby sailing. It got quite annoying.

Yep, seems standard now.

We were asked every night for 33 nights. Though by week two he’d say “C554 isn’t it”

I’m not sure about that as the first couple of nights he’d ask to see our card to confirm we had ATD but continuespd to confirm our cabin number long after he stoppe$ checking our card.

We were asked for our cabin number at every meal in the dining room on our recent Ruby sailing. It got quite annoying.

Yep, seems standard now.

We were asked every night for 33 nights. Though by week two he’d say “C554 isn’t it”

If it's standard, why doesn't the hostess just take the information when they take the number of people in the party?

The annoying part was the seeming randomness of when the waiter would ask for our cabin number, usually by interrupting conversation. If the waiter must ask for the information, make it a part of the order taking process instead of an afterthought.

They are starting to turn people away from ATD that are assigned to Traditional. At last, long may it continue. Why not have your card checked every dinner to ensure you are in the right area?

But you are not ASSIGNED to Traditional you have CHOSEN it. If you have chosen it do NOT take places in Anytime of those who have CHOSEN that. If you can't turn up to Traditional for any reason do NOT go to Anytime go to the Buffet or Specialty.