Best Way To Book...For Best Deals

KMJennings

We always book through the cruise line directly. I have never found a TA that could get me a better rate than my PVP could get me. Some TAs will give you some OBC or a bottle of wine or something but that's not enough incentive for me to use one. I know older people still like TAs but they're just not for us.

Is it best to book directly through the cruise line, a travel agent, or another option I haven't thought of. When looking at rates, it seems to change depending on which e-mail I open up and go through.

Thanks!

Use the "search" feature on CC. There are hundreds of threads regarding the value of using a TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We usually book through a TA. The few times we book directly with the cruise line we always transfer to a TA to pick up added perks. The online TA that we use gives us matching OBC that the cruise line offers, usually gives us pre-paid gratuities or adde OBC to pay gratuities, always gives us a specialty dinner for two, one of the online TA'S we use now gives a limited travel insurance policy. It should be easy to get 10-15% of your cruise fare as added perks. No matter how great a deal you get through a cruise line you can still transfer your booking and pick up added perks. Should you have a problem your TA with a multi million dollar agency can get more done then working with a low paid cubicle dweller at the cruise line. happy cruising

Princess allows TAs to discount fares; they just can't advertise the discounted fares. Our TA gets us discounts of 10%+ and, since we take longer cruises and in higher priced cabins, has saved us a large amount of money over the past 8 years. We frequently get OBC in addition to the lower fares.

This question comes up often.

My recommendation is to book through a TA.

A good TA can help to avoid making mistakes, can provide amenities that you normally won't get from the cruise line and if something goes wrong they can be your advocate with the cruise line.

Keith

Is it best to book directly through the cruise line, a travel agent, or another option I haven't thought of. When looking at rates, it seems to change depending on which e-mail I open up and go through.

Thanks!

No single "best" way for everyone. You have to compare prices, perks, and service quality and determine your own priorities.

Thanks!

Also check the dedicated cruise line forums, they will many times post about special promos.

I booked our last cruise direct with Princess after receiving an email special--a really really special price. We received another really really special price offer last week from Princess for a cruise next month. I placed a hold on it through the Princess website and then called up a travel agent with a big box store that we have a membership to. He was able to give us some onboard credit. It's not a huge amount, but great considering how inexpensive the cruise fare was.

Apart from it being less expensive to book with our on line TA ( better pricing, OBC's, ets) we never want to book directly with the cruise line.

When we use a travel agent we want an agent who will act on our behalf...that is the role of an agent. Someone who may go to bat for us if we have an issue. We believe that booking with a PCC, an employee of the cruise line, takes that independence away. The incentive for that person to be an advocate for us has disappeared because of his/her employment relationship with the cruise line.

We also see zero difference in booking with a travel agent when it comes to managing our reservation. Plus, we can count on our agent to give us the straight goods about ships and sailings. The cruise line PCC will follow the company direction with may not always be the best path for us.

Thanks!

Hi there

The way to get the best deals is to book early (people very often book more than a year out) with price protection. Check often to see if you qualify for a price drop. Make sure you understand the terms for the "rate" you purchase. If you are at all unsure of something, ask before you buy. Once you have determined the cruise line you are considering, ask specific questions about cabin "rates", cabin locations, etc... on the cruise line specific thread. Again...ask, before you buy. There are T.A.'s that do give additional discounts (if you find a good one, great!), but comparison shop to make sure you are getting the exact same cabin for less (same booking rate, same everything).

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Edited by Nic6318

The challenge we have with booking directly is the information potentially withheld from unsuspecting or new cruisers.

For instance, will the company rep recommend that you not bother with a pre or post drydock cruise? I doubt it. Or will they advise you not to buy that remaining category inside cabin that is directly below the galley and where you will be most definitely woken up every morning at 6AM. Or that cabin underneath or above the night club? I doubt it.

Or will that rep, say on Princess, tell you about a much more attractive offer on an identical cruise from say, Celebrity, where you can get a balcony for what you are paying for an outside on the Princess cruise? Or vice versa? Or will the cruise line rep tell you that the last few clients she/he put on that ship gave negative feedback? Somehow I doubt it very much.

Employees of the cruise line work for the cruise line. They naturally place their jobs and their employer above your interests. These are some of the reasons why we use an on line TA.