New to traditional dining

lorri111

We have always taken up the option of Anytime Dining but it is not available for our upcoming Japan cruise on the Diamond. I requested a table for 2 in the personaliser and am wondering how likely this is to eventuate. How does this system work - when do you get advised of your table configuration and can anything be done to increase the chances of getting a table for 2? If at a shared table do you have to wait for the others at table to turn up before ordering?

You may or may not eventually have your chosen table for 2. We have done it before but got to share a table instead. Not aware of their criteria for assignment. The waiter waits for the table to fill up and take orders from menu, unless it is obvious, or based on previous nights, that some may not be coming anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you find out your table assignment at first dinner or is it posted somewhere in advance?

The assigned Dining Room, Dining Time and Table Number were all printed on the cruise card that was handed out on check-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good to know, thanks. Does it tell you the number at your table as well?

The Princess Patter will have an entry showing when the Maitre d' is available to discuss dinner seating arrangements. This is often at 2pm on embarkation day. You can also ask at Reception for the time. At that time, the door to the dining room is usually open. Either then, or earlier if you can, you can go into the dining room and wander around to check out the table that is shown on your cruise card. If you are not happy with the size of the table, you can ask the Maitre d' about a change. Be warned that many of the requests will be for a table for two. Usually it is easier to get this option at the late dinner sitting. From my experience, the Maitre d's do everything they can to accommodate requests. Sometimes he will ask you to go to the first night's dinner at your assigned table and he will see what he can do for the next night. If he can change you, a note will be delivered to your cabin and you will be given a slip of paper with your alternate dining table number to stick onto your cruise card. Best of luck.

We have always taken up the option of Anytime Dining but it is not available for our upcoming Japan cruise on the Diamond. I requested a table for 2 in the personaliser and am wondering how likely this is to eventuate. How does this system work - when do you get advised of your table configuration and can anything be done to increase the chances of getting a table for 2? If at a shared table do you have to wait for the others at table to turn up before ordering?

We’ve always got one.

Please be aware that, if you requested 6:00 PM dining it is extremely unlikely you will get that time. They may well "confirm" that you have "6:00 PM" dining but it will almost certainly be changed to 5:30 PM once you are on the ship. Princess is notorious for this.

Please be aware that, if you requested 6:00 PM dining it is extremely unlikely you will get that time. They may well "confirm" that you have "6:00 PM" dining but it will almost certainly be changed to 5:30 PM once you are on the ship. Princess is notorious for this.

good to know

Many of the tables for two do not provide much if any privacy. They are often 6 to 10 inches from the next table.

At least with a table for two, no matter how close to other tables, you have the choice of whether to engage in conversation with the other diners or not, as you please.

At least with a table for two, no matter how close to other tables, you have the choice of whether to engage in conversation with the other diners or not, as you please.

Works every time....no obligation to have meaninglessness conversations with other people you have nothing in common with. :D;)

Works every time....no obligation to have meaninglessness conversations with other people you have nothing in common with.
You're on the same ship with them, thus you do have something in common. You could find out what they've enjoyed on their cruise. Perhaps it's something you would enjoy as well but did not think of doing.

If at a shared table do you have to wait for the others at table to turn up before ordering?

I understand that there's a general understanding that service begins within 15 minutes of the official dinner time, regardless of who has shown up at the table. The first night is always tricky, but after that there's a general understanding that if you're not going to make it to dinner, you let the waitstaff and your tablemates know, so the table can proceed as long as "a quorum is met". :)

That said, the one time we did TD at a table bigger than 2, it was a six-top and we were on a four-day cruise. First night, all three couples were there, and everyone said "see you tomorrow!". Second night, one of the couples no-showed, so just four of us, and the other two finished the night saying "see you tomorrow!" Third night, we were the only ones who showed...grrr.

Works every time....no obligation to have meaninglessness conversations with other people you have nothing in common with. :D;)

Whoa! You really must love cruising at dinnertime? One of my main fun times has been at dinner. Now it is not always a winner, but never has been a bust either. Have met two couples this way that we stay in touch with to this day. I love hearing other people's stories. I hope that your comments are based on shyness and not anything else!! I will admit that I only like this at dinner and enjoy our tables for two at breakfast and lunch!

May you always get a table for two in the corner next to a window!

Pooh

You're on the same ship with them, thus you do have something in common. You could find out what they've enjoyed on their cruise. Perhaps it's something you would enjoy as well but did not think of doing.

Not to sound snotty but I know everything that's being offered on the ship & don't care to have conversations about much else. After many trips on the same ship there's not much that you don't know get to know.

I seriously doubt if anyone could tell you anything about the Royal. Isn't that true?

Agree.

Whoa! You really must love cruising at dinnertime? One of my main fun times has been at dinner. Now it is not always a winner, but never has been a bust either. Have met two couples this way that we stay in touch with to this day. I love hearing other people's stories. I hope that your comments are based on shyness and not anything else!! I will admit that I only like this at dinner and enjoy our tables for two at breakfast and lunch!

May you always get a table for two in the corner next to a window!

Pooh

If we meet people on the ship that we do have something in common with we do share a table, but we know who we'll be sitting with, not someone out of the blue. Why would anyone get a table for two & then try to start up a conversation with the table next to them is beyond me. People choose those tables NOT to get engaged in dinner conversations.

Choose a larger table & enjoy talking for as much as you like and leave the 2 top tables for those that really want them.

Not to sound snotty but I know everything that's being offered on the ship & don't care to have conversations about much else. After many trips on the same ship there's not much that you don't know get to know.

I don’t cruise much, but I am well traveled and I enjoy talking about travel as well as learning more from the experienced cruisers about the ship and upcoming ports that I’ve not been.

I don’t cruise much, but I am well traveled and I enjoy talking about travel as well as learning more from the experienced cruisers about the ship and upcoming ports that I’ve not been.

In that case there are plenty of large tables & cruisers who are more than willing to talk all night about their adventures. :)

We love the choice of Anytime Dining as we can decide if we want to share or not BUT, and it is a big BUT, Anytime Dining is a shambles on Princess. We tried it once and now take Traditional Dining on our own and enjoy our own company. We do not look forward to having to share with the same people every night on a 20+ day cruise.