Who’s considering other cruise lines after the shocking CDC inspection failures?

rok233

As one of the few CC posters who has gone through USPH/CDC inspections, let me add some comments here, and you can read others on the various threads regarding the failed inspections that are on this forum.

As I've stated on another thread, for those of you who have taken the time to actually look at the inspection score sheet, while the Integrated Pest Management plan effectiveness is a 3 point "critical item", once the inspection is completed, the inspectors get together and "scale" the deductions based on the number of times the problem was observed, and the egregiousness of the violation, so a potential 3 point deduction for a fruit fly, may be scaled down to a 0 point non-conformity item. The actual deductions are typically not seen until the corrective action report is submitted.

Really, none of the individual violations are upsetting in themselves, as each of them could be found on any ship in any inspection. The troubling aspect is the apparent lack of training of personnel on the Breeze and Triumph (as noted by the inspectors as lack of knowledge of proper procedures by the crew), and the attempt to hide potential violations from the inspectors on the Vista (found repeatedly). This shows a total lack of respect for the passenger's health, as the supervisors knew these were violations but consciously went ahead to try to hide them.

It has been my experience with USPH/CDC inspectors, as well as USCG and foreign coast guard inspectors, that if you are honest and open with them, and accept findings of failures, they tend to be fair and honest with you, and can mitigate things like USPH scores (through the "scaling" process noted above). When you try to hide things, they will come down like an avalanche.

I sail with Dr. E and John Heald in a few weeks. That will be my 92 Carnival cruise since 2005. I have no other Carnival cruises booked at this time, I do however have 2 RCI cruises booked. In the future, I am sure I will make an effort to reach the milestone level of 100 cruises with Carnival to obtain the free cruise that is offered. But for now, all of the cutbacks, staff reductions, inspection failures have me very disappointed with Carnival.

Nah. If anything will push me towards another cruise line, it won't be the reports. I'm young and have a good immune system. Unless a ton of people get sick on the same cruise due to these issues, then I really couldn't care less.

Hell, most restaurants you eat out at probably have worse sanitary conditions.

Went on the Allure in November. We did the behind the scenes tour and I was really surprised how dirty the kitchen was. Mostly the floors. This was in the afternoon and the floors were awful. Liquids and food spilled on the floors. Only like two workers in there. I can only assume they were on a break or between shifts. Just an observation because I have always heard people say how clean it is in the kitchens. Either way I couldn't have anyone inspect my kitchen, I'd get shut down!

I am aware of the situation, and I will keep myself informed as things develop (hopefully for the better), but right now I am not so alarmed as to alter any booked cruises or not consider planning other future cruises. If things take a further downturn then I might get annoyed and consider other options.

No impact on my decisions. Took cruise #31 in November - 1 RCL, 3 HAL, 27 Carnival. Past 3 were HAL, Carnival, HAL. Next 3 are NCL, Carnival and probably Carnival. Then possibly MSC. None based on inspection results.

If it concerns someone enough to change lines, then change lines. If the charge for room service bothers someone enough to change lines, change lines.

What matters to others really doesn't influence what matters to me and I'll make my decisions based on other criteria. I'm not going to base my decisions on the fact that mostly-anonymous people on a message board think any particular way about something.

But I don't tend to follow the crowd about most things. ;p

I to have worked in the food industry. I have been through many health food inspections and they do find stupid things to hit you for. Just like a poster before said it depends on the actual inspector. So unless it is a MAJOR infraction like they saw someone drop food on the floor and serve it, I would not worry about it. Also like some one else said Carnival has NOT had a major norovirus outbreak like the other cruise lines have in the last couple of years. Now with all that said, can you tell me the "other" cruise lines are not guilty of hiding things (just never got caught). In fact I have to believe that money has changed hands to make some of these reports good, long before the inspection. So changing cruise lines will not change the corruption that goes on behind some of these reports, I know I have seen it first hand.

When I am on a cruise ship, I must feel a great amount of trust in the staff and crew. I think about the fact that I am in their hands when I am there. I can't go to another restaurant or to another hotel like I have done many times when on land when I don't like what I see. Now, this trust is lost with Carnival, and there is no way I could ever bring myself to go on another cruise with them.I also know that there are many other cruise lines. Therefore, I will never give them my hard earned money again. Yes, I vote with my money, and perhaps this vote will motivate the management of other lines to be much more careful with our health and safety.

Our county puts out a monthly report of restaurant inspections. It's comical reading what they ding the restaurants for. Things like no signs by the sinks for employees to wash their hands, etc.

I worked in a factory that was inspected by OSHA quite often. One time they would ding us for having ladders not stored properly. The next time, they would step over a ladder laying on the floor to get to a light bulb that didn't have a guard on it. Each inspector has their own thing that they are going to be looking for. You never know which inspector you will get.

In reading that report, one of the dings was a fruit fly. How do you eliminate a fruit fly? A pest strip? Then they'd ding them for having a pest strip by food.

I do know that if you knew what went on behind the scenes in some restaurants, you'd never go back there again.

Hiding violations the ship should have been shut down. No excuse for this kind if behavior.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

We sail on Vista in a few weeks, and I will admit that these findings have definitely disappointed my wife and I, as this is her first Carnival cruise and both our children are very excited to sail on Vista. I'm keeping an open mind, and feel a little better that the ship will probably be in the best condition possible that close to the failing inspection, but we are now moving our future planned cruises to other lines.

The part that disturbs me the most is that they were intentionally hiding the issues, and that three ships failed within months of each other. Seems to be a corporate issue, and makes me wonder what else they are hiding that the public can't see (maintenance/mechanical issues, etc). Until they prove they have resolved these issues, and put in sweeping corporate changes to stop and prevent these type of practices, I will find other options to spend my hard earned vacation dollars on.

Nope- and let me tell you why these inspection issues don't change my mind about cruising with Carnival...

Carnival knows that they're in business because of their reputation- 'CHOOSE FUN' anyone? If their reputation were to suddenly change to 'CHOOSE THE RUNS' due to repeated failures in their inspections, they would lose money. Lots of it. Maybe even go out of business. So Corporate will likely make some significant changes to ensure that ship leadership knows that the punishment for hiding infractions is worse than failing an inspection. And failing an inspection is bad- but a second failed inspection is unacceptable. I expect that the upcoming sailings on most if not all Carnival ships will be some of the cleanest on the seas!

Secondly, I'm not convinced that the other cruiselines are any different. It's just that Carnival has gotten caught! I have a friend who sailed on RCCL's Oasis of the Seas and found a hair tie with a clump of hair (not a single hair, a clump of it) in her soup! On that same cruise she watched a woman peeing in the pool (the bright yellow water was unmistakable!) when pointed out to a staff member, nothing was done. There were other instances that caused her to swear she'll never sail on RCCL again...

So the bottom line is, each person will have to decide for themselves how egregious these failures are, and how it impacts where they spend their cruising budget. It sounds like despite rok233's best efforts with every post they make, lots of people are still choosing Carnival, and they will wait to see what happens.