Who’s considering other cruise lines after the shocking CDC inspection failures?

rok233

No, and if you look at what the infractions were for it was silly stuff that wasn't due to nasty/dirty conditions.

So, the following found in a crew stateroom:

"23 packages of butter, one container of buttermilk, one container of whipping cream, and assorted equipment. The butter had a temperature of 66.4°F." "Inside a crew cabin, three lexan bins were found stored directly on the deck. Bread crisps, produce, raw salmon, spices were found in the lexan bins. Red wine sauce, frozen pork sauce, butter, and cherry tomatoes were stored on top of the lexan bin. A rolling cart in the same crew cabin contained two containers of crisps, spices and other dry stores, shallots, beans, eggplant, garlic, cooked bacon bits, pasta, raw lamb cutlet, raw produce, minced raw beef, cut lettuce, and a pan of lasagna."

Doesn't worry you?

"The inspector followed the cart back to the vegetable prep room and noticed that the time control label stated that this cart of food was on time control from 11:15 am to 3:15 pm. However, it was 10:40 am when the inspector stopped the cart."

Time control is a major means of controlling food borne illnesses, and food is only allowed to be on time control for 4 hours, but this food would have been at least 5 hours.

How about:

"Containers of raw lamb cutlet and raw minced beef were stored in direct contact with produce. A container of raw salmon was also in direct contact with produce."

Raw meat in contact with raw produce, that produce may have been scheduled for service in an uncooked state (salad).

And that's just the Vista.

So, the following found in a crew stateroom:

"23 packages of butter, one container of buttermilk, one container of whipping cream, and assorted equipment. The butter had a temperature of 66.4°F." "Inside a crew cabin, three lexan bins were found stored directly on the deck. Bread crisps, produce, raw salmon, spices were found in the lexan bins. Red wine sauce, frozen pork sauce, butter, and cherry tomatoes were stored on top of the lexan bin. A rolling cart in the same crew cabin contained two containers of crisps, spices and other dry stores, shallots, beans, eggplant, garlic, cooked bacon bits, pasta, raw lamb cutlet, raw produce, minced raw beef, cut lettuce, and a pan of lasagna."

Doesn't worry you?

"The inspector followed the cart back to the vegetable prep room and noticed that the time control label stated that this cart of food was on time control from 11:15 am to 3:15 pm. However, it was 10:40 am when the inspector stopped the cart."

Time control is a major means of controlling food borne illnesses, and food is only allowed to be on time control for 4 hours, but this food would have been at least 5 hours.

How about:

"Containers of raw lamb cutlet and raw minced beef were stored in direct contact with produce. A container of raw salmon was also in direct contact with produce."

Raw meat in contact with raw produce, that produce may have been scheduled for service in an uncooked state (salad).

And that's just the Vista.

No...It does not worry me...and I also believe all of the above was "waste"....not being used to prepare food or serve.

No...It does not worry me...and I also believe all of the above was "waste"....not being used to prepare food or serve.

So, if it is "waste", why was it not taken to the very large food waste walk-in refrigerator for storage until it could be disposed of, instead of being in a crew cabin?

How about from the Breeze, where:

"Approximately 25 red garbage bins full and overflowing with food waste were stored in the provision corridor on top of wooden pallets and directly outside a lift labeled for food. Some food waste had spilled onto the deck and pallets and liquid from the food waste bins was on the deck. wo stacks of approximately 12 gray bins per stack were stored directly adjacent to the food waste bins. The gray bins were used in the food service operations to distribute food items to different galleys."

Pool bromine levels were found to be low by direct testing, both by the crew and the inspectors, yet because the chart recorder, which read high compared to direct testing, said the levels were okay, no alarm was raised, and no calibration of the chart recorder was done to match the direct testing.

Several instances of dish washing machines that did not maintain wash water temperature, nor final rinse temperature which ensures sanitizing. Another case where the final rinse water was at boiling, so that final rinse was steam, instead of 180*F as required to obtain a surface temperature of 160*F on the dishes.

While to many these may seem minor and picky, having had to maintain ship's equipment to USPH requirements, and seeing what it entails, and what it prevents, these are not "fussy" items. The USPH requirements are the reason that you almost never hear about food borne illnesses (salmonella, e. coli, etc) on cruise ships.

So, if it is "waste", why was it not taken to the very large food waste walk-in refrigerator for storage until it could be disposed of, instead of being in a crew cabin?

How about from the Breeze, where:

"Approximately 25 red garbage bins full and overflowing with food waste were stored in the provision corridor on top of wooden pallets and directly outside a lift labeled for food. Some food waste had spilled onto the deck and pallets and liquid from the food waste bins was on the deck. wo stacks of approximately 12 gray bins per stack were stored directly adjacent to the food waste bins. The gray bins were used in the food service operations to distribute food items to different galleys."

Pool bromine levels were found to be low by direct testing, both by the crew and the inspectors, yet because the chart recorder, which read high compared to direct testing, said the levels were okay, no alarm was raised, and no calibration of the chart recorder was done to match the direct testing.

Several instances of dish washing machines that did not maintain wash water temperature, nor final rinse temperature which ensures sanitizing. Another case where the final rinse water was at boiling, so that final rinse was steam, instead of 180*F as required to obtain a surface temperature of 160*F on the dishes.

While to many these may seem minor and picky, having had to maintain ship's equipment to USPH requirements, and seeing what it entails, and what it prevents, these are not "fussy" items. The USPH requirements are the reason that you almost never hear about food borne illnesses (salmonella, e. coli, etc) on cruise ships.

What worries me the most is that both the Vista and the Breeze inspections took place a month after another Carnival ship failed inspection.

Which cruise line would the original poster suggest? I've read these reports over the years and Carnival is definitely not the only line that has had an occasional failure. I wouldn't switch to another cruise line.

I think it is horrible that they moved things to try and hide things that would cause them to get failing grade.

Makes me wonder what else they are doing.

Most of our cruises these days are on Princess but was considering a journey cruise which we will put off until they announce what will be done to prevent this in the future,

I make informed decisions and will still continue to sail Carnival. They were caught and I'm sure some heads have rolled from these failures and reports. No one company is perfect, but, I'm sure these ships won't be failing again anytime soon.

Where was all this hand wringing by RCI cruisers to change lines when RCI failed inspection because of their failed safety inspection with regards to the life vests and weren't even permitted to sail for 24 hours... talk about possibly endangering lives.

Every line has had failures, however, Carnival does seem to take the heaviest bashing and usually from those that have never sailed with them. You know the old saying about opinions ... one thing I do believe is , how wonderful can your choice be if you have to tear down the competition to feel superior?

We have 2 more cruises booked with carnival. We have been on one CCL cruise to date (Vista). We were considering Carnival for summer 2019 but have decided to take it out of consideration because of these dismal reports. We might consider cancelling the ones already booked but our kids really love Carnival and are looking forward to them. Plus, they are both easysaver. We still love Carnival and we will see after our next two cruises with them how we feel. The problem we have with these CDC reports is that they confirm our own experience that Carnival is not as clean as other ships we have been on (DCL, NCL, X). In the buffet area especially, it was a complete mess pretty much all the time (Vista). That being said, no one in our group got sick (which did happen on other lines) and we had a great time. I have worked in restaurants as well but never in one that got such a horrible inspection.

Edited by Cafedumonde

I sail other lines, Carnival is not always my first choice. I did, however, point out that other lines have issues, although many act like Carnival is the only line that has ever had them and that your life is constantly in peril if you sail with them.

I do not purposely go around posting on other forums, topics, threads, like I see others do, constantly putting down the people that sail on Carnival or belittling their choices. There's a difference and it's easy enough to identify those that do it.

I am booked on three Carnival cruises this year. I toured the kitchen and food storage areas on the Inspiration in October and saw nothing that would give me the slightest concern. I watched as cooks, helpers, and waiters all followed the rules of food safety and personal hygiene.

I will be fine on any Carnival ship. I am a bit troubled that there is a problem with mid-management culture. In my own company these people do not last very long. I suspect the same at Carnival.

I sail other lines, Carnival is not always my first choice. I did, however, point out that other lines have issues, although many act like Carnival is the only line that has ever had them and that your life is constantly in peril if you sail with them.

I do not purposely go around posting on other forums, topics, threads, like I see others do, constantly putting down the people that sail on Carnival or belittling their choices. There's a difference and it's easy enough to identify those that do it.

To me, it is just very scary that Carnival had a totally unprecedented 4 ships fail in a 1 year period. Sure there are other ship failures, but often they are on smaller lines that only sail to the U.S. infrequently and are not as familiar with the inspection procedure as Carnival should be.

We're on the Breeze tomorrow. I figure it will be as clean as possible as it is still within the time frame for the re-inspection. We are booked on the Vista for next year. Boy, can I pick them or what?

I will get to talk to talk to the Senior officers at the Diamond event next week and I will straight out ask them just what the heck is up with the failure!

I am booked on three Carnival cruises this year. I toured the kitchen and food storage areas on the Inspiration in October and saw nothing that would give me the slightest concern. I watched as cooks, helpers, and waiters all followed the rules of food safety and personal hygiene.

I will be fine on any Carnival ship. I am a bit troubled that there is a problem with mid-management culture. In my own company these people do not last very long. I suspect the same at Carnival.

I think you nailed it!!! Bingo!!

Well, I must be in the minority because I do look at the inspection reports. I would not cancel a cruise because of a low score, but I might pick another ship because of a low score. I do not want to spend all of the money and time planning and excitement just to get sick on vacation. I do find the low scores alarming and concerning.

First I am disturbed by the pattern that says to me management is to blame. The crew does what they are told to do.

But second, I believe Carnival, like any other business, wants to stay in business. I will be very surprised if they don't take serious corrective action.

I have a cruise booked on the Breeze, and another on the Freedom, with no current plans to cancel either one.

We have 2 more cruises booked with carnival. We have been on one CCL cruise to date (Vista). We were considering Carnival for summer 2019 but have decided to take it out of consideration because of these dismal reports. We might consider cancelling the ones already booked but our kids really love Carnival and are looking forward to them. Plus, they are both easysaver. We still love Carnival and we will see after our next two cruises with them how we feel. The problem we have with these CDC reports is that they confirm our own experience that Carnival is not as clean as other ships we have been on (DCL, NCL, X). In the buffet area especially, it was a complete mess pretty much all the time (Vista). That being said, no one in our group got sick (which did happen on other lines) and we had a great time. I have worked in restaurants as well but never in one that got such a horrible inspection.

Happy cruising, thanks for stopping by to say goodbye.

No. While it is disappointing to read, I've never had a bad experience on any cruise ship with regards to food service or cleanliness. Maybe I've just been lucky. Hopefully, the reprimands & bad publicity will make them stay on top of things.

Well, I must be in the minority because I do look at the inspection reports. I would not cancel a cruise because of a low score, but I might pick another ship because of a low score. I do not want to spend all of the money and time planning and excitement just to get sick on vacation. I do find the low scores alarming and concerning.
Certainly cannot argue with not wanting to get sick. I do wonder if there is correlation be tween the CDC reports and outbreaks of Noro. I wonder of they track Noro by cruise line.......

Certainly cannot argue with not wanting to get sick. I do wonder if there is correlation be tween the CDC reports and outbreaks of Noro. I wonder of they track Noro by cruise line.......

There isn't a real correlation between a poor USPH score and noro. USPH feels that noro has become as prevalent on cruise ships as it has, because the VSP has controlled the other infectious agents (salmonella, e. coli, botulism, etc). Poor scores (and consequently the greater possibility of bacterial growth caused by the poor practices), would increase the incidents of these other infectious agents. As much as many CC posters don't want to hear it, USPH has found that most noro cases are brought on the ship by passengers, not the crew (if it was the crew's poor personal hygiene that was causing the outbreaks, it would be constant as long as the crew member was onboard, not variable from one cruise to the next), and therefore, no amount of sanitation procedures can prevent noro outbreaks.

Just curious if this was the last straw for any Carnival cruisers? The results were quite shocking with the the crew blatantly trying to hide infractions from inspectors?

I have been considering other lines for a while, but for different reasons.

Carnival does not seem to get as many noro outbreaks as other lines, at least from what I am reading about or hearing about.

I will still consider Carnival for a cruise in the future, regardless of this info. But as said, will try to cruise a different line for different reasons than this.