GEM Cruise: No more Chocolate Mints!

dongordon

Just got off my 10 day GEM cruise Tuesday.....No more chocolate mints on my pillow at night!:(

Loved those mints before I hit the sack at night!!:p

(Still had a great cruise!!;))

Wonder if this change is fleet - wide or just on the GEM?

Don:cool:

Just got off my 10 day GEM cruise Tuesday.....No more chocolate mints on my pillow at night!:(

Ah yes..the missing chocolate mints. Went the way of 24 hour complimentary room service and Lobster night....lol Glad you had a great cruise. The Gem is one of my favorite ships. Just the right size and has a Spinnakers lounge.

Ah yes..the missing chocolate mints. Went the way of 24 hour complimentary room service and Lobster night....lol Glad you had a great cruise. The Gem is one of my favorite ships. Just the right size and has a Spinnakers lounge.

And the best place for breakfast in the morning....The Great Outdoors!:D

Just got off my 10 day GEM cruise Tuesday.....No more chocolate mints on my pillow at night!

Here's a full month's supply of the pillow mints for $7.50 http://amzn.to/2nbDois. Probably even cheaper at your local supermarket.

What I miss is the Godiva chocolates! :loudcry:

Amen to the Godiva Chocolates. Went from 8 piece to 4 piece to nada. Really do miss this amenity.

Suites keep getting dinged , now all promo gratuities are additional.

No longer dining or beverage promos with gratuities included for Suite guests. Too bad....many new cruisers may not know or care?

I guess they are still trying to see how much we will tolerate.

And no more DJ Kim either! She ruined the atmosphere in Bliss at Christmas! :mad:

Amen to the Godiva Chocolates. Went from 8 piece to 4 piece to nada. Really do miss this amenity.

Suites keep getting dinged , now all promo gratuities are additional.

No longer dining or beverage promos with gratuities included for Suite guests. Too bad....many new cruisers may not know or care?

I guess they are still trying to see how much we will tolerate.

Only a guess, but think the bid process must be making NCL more money than the old way. And if someone wins the bid they don't get the now watered down suite perks so money saved there.

That is why after this summer all our future trips are booked on MSC.

Thanks for the candy update. :) Can you comment on the weather for the 1st and last day at sea. How was the live music entertainment ?

By the 1st day at sea, the sun was shining and I was working on my tan!:)

Great weather for the last day at sea as well.

Took my last morning swim in the pool and the temps were in the 60's.

The live music in the lounges were good, but I was not blown away by it.

The band Sonata was unimpressive (IMHO).

The Stardust shows were great...the three main shows by the GEM singers and dancers were fantastic by this group of talented performers. Standing ovations from the audience all three shows.

Really enjoyed the Hypnotist and the combo Magician / Illusionist / Comedian....both were great shows.

The singer from England was OK but a bit boring.

Thanks, I was hoping they still had the old ones.

Especially La Cucina.......so disappointed in this specialty restaurant that I was very fond of in the past.

The service was not very good...they seemed understaffed.

Chicken Parm is no longer on the menu...used to be my favorite.

I ordered the seafood pasta dish and the pasta was as soft as an overcooked noodle!:(

I'll try and answer any other questions....I did a CC Review, but it probably will not be posted for awhile.

Especially La Cucina.......so disappointed in this specialty restaurant that I was very fond of in the past.

The service was not very good...they seemed understaffed.

Chicken Parm is no longer on the menu...used to be my favorite.

I ordered the seafood pasta dish and the pasta was as soft as an overcooked noodle!:(

I'll try and answer any other questions....I did a CC Review, but it probably will not be posted for awhile.

I too always liked the Chicken Parm there too - always great except once on Dawn it was like a chicken patty (plus our service in there was bad that night too).

The shows on Gem were great - Blazin Boots and the variety one going through the decades.

On the BTS tour we got to go see the dressing rooms up and behind the stage.

... watered down perks & amenities, et. al.

... That is why after this summer all our future trips are booked on MSC.

MSC again, huh ... and not just for status matching either.

We got another Gem run booked this early Spring ... DW just not ready to venture too far with our travel plans yet, early retirement around the corner, house getting listed soon to cash out on the gains & other life changing events with those close to us. Will find out what else they can trim in 2018, not giving them any ideas, none at all.

As for La Cucina, Pat & Jim running this upcoming Roll Call also sworn about the improved entrees and the fillets, might just consider checking it out although we like Moderno on the BA last November (that others felt had been cut as well) - going to hear more as they are currently on the Gem, yet a different & longer Caribbean run.

Here's a virtual "Welcome Abroad" plus the Godiva from 2012, looking back at the good old days.

SDC10353.JPG?dl=0

We got another Gem run booked this early Spring ... DW just not ready to venture too far with our travel plans yet, early retirement around the corner, house getting listed soon to cash out on the gains & other life changing events with those close to us. Will find out what else they can trim in 2018, not giving them any ideas, none at all.

As for La Cucina, Pat & Jim running this upcoming Roll Call also sworn about the improved entrees and the fillets, might just consider checking it out although we like Moderno on the BA last November (that others felt had been cut as well) - going to hear more as they are currently on the Gem, yet a different & longer Caribbean run.

Here's a virtual "Welcome Abroad" plus the Godiva from 2012, looking back at the good old days.

SDC10353.JPG?dl=0

I was told on the Breakaway last year if you ask La Cucina for Chicken Parm the day before you dine, they will prepare it for you. I am doing this on my upcoming Breakaway cruise next week.

Not about to give up all my perks for being Platinum Plus to switch to any other cruise line, and I love the casual freestyle venue.

BTW....

On the GEM, all the meats in Moderno are prepared in Cagney's kitchen!:)

SDC10353.JPG?dl=0

Yes, two on Seaside booked March and June 2019 Western then Eastern. I can't justify ever increasing NCL prices. We'll be Plat Plus after our June Escape trip but still nothing to entice us to be too loyal.

Good luck on all your life events. We'll be looking for you on the weather channel at the NYC Winter Jam today.

Sorry DonG for going a bit off topic.

I was told on the Breakaway last year if you ask La Cucina for Chicken Parm the day before you dine, they will prepare it for you. I am doing this on my upcoming Breakaway cruise next week.

Not about to give up all my perks for being Platinum Plus to switch to any other cruise line, and I love the casual freestyle venue.

BTW....

On the GEM, all the meats in Moderno are prepared in Cagney's kitchen!:)

I've actually seen Chicken Parm on the MDR menus - right about the same time it got dropped from La Cucina. I've seen pictures of it too and it looks pretty similar to what was served at La Cucina but I've never eaten it.

On MSC when in YC I asked the maitre D the first night if chicken parm was on the menu any night and he said no. Later in the trip he had the chef make it special for me as an app and then as a main. It was spectacular.

MSC status matches to their highest level which we did and the perks are a bit different than NCL but we loved MSC.