End of an era- no more Hot Glass Show

81dollar

We have sailed on many Celebrity cruises and seen the hot glass shows about 3 times. We find sitting on benches, without backs for over two hours- just not comfortable and bad for our backs. We no longer see the show. In the summer in the Caribbean, also very hot- and not comfortable. I "assume" many others feel the same- so instead of celebrity creating a more comfortable venue for the 50 plus age group-or anybody with a bad back- they have decided to end the show- Many of our friends also no longer see the show-

I have three cruises booked on S-class ships -- which are all going to be cancelled because of this change -- on top of many others. It may not seem like that big of a deal, but it is the straw that broke the camel's back.

I was not aware that all S class ships have this. I know the Reflection did not. The new ships, I.e. the Edge, will not have them. What cruises are you canceling, maybe we will want the rooms?

A highlight of 3 Solstice clas cruises we have taken. I enjoyed it and would go again but it may have run its time. To me it is very important that a quality, FREE, experience serve as an alternative.

What has kept me interested in Celebrity and voicing that preference seems to be leaving. Like others especially because of itinerary we will be experiencing other lines.

The silhouette and reflection do not have the corning glass show. Nor will the edge. Both ships are always booked. The edge is also getting booked up now. I understand that many functions on all cruise lines aren’t free, but honestly they are all making huge profits and enough people are willing To pay for them.

We have previously cruises on 14 different lines and our decisions are based primarily on itinerary with most other issues being secondary. But we always do 2-3 weeks in the Caribbean (between Thanksgiving and Christmas). This Caribbean cruise has been on Celebrity for 8 out of the past 9 years . This coming year we have booked MSC Divina (Yacht Club) which we see as a better product (for the money) then Celebrity. Otherwise we have an exotic 5 week cruise on Princess and will likely book something else for the fall. Not even looking at Celebrity. Perhaps a luxury cruise line, a river boat cruise in Europe (have done this in the past with Viking) or we might just grab a flight to Europe and spend a few weeks driving around where we please (we have done many European driving trips).

As Seniors with a forty+ year history of extensive cruising we try hard not to fall into a rut...or become a "cheerleader" of a specific cruise line or travel mode It is a big world and there are numerous travel options. We feel just as home renting a flat (apartment) in Paris for a few weeks as taking a cruise. Other than our upcoming 5 weeks on Princess (and 3 weeks on MSC) nothing jumps out as us and says "you must book this. " When this happens (cannot find a great cruise option) we often just find a good air deal to Europe and take some kind of land trip. For many years we have been thinking about flying to Italy and driving south through Croatia, Slovania and Montenegro. Perhaps this will be the year.

Since we are on the topic, we hope that most cruisers realize that European (or Med) cruises do really restrict what you can see in Europe. There are many wonderful places that cannot even be reached on a port day. And a place like Florence might be nice for a port day...but becomes a lot nicer if you spend a few nights.

The cruise industry is in competition with the travel industry....not just the cruise industry. While we understand that many folks are not willing to spend time on land (on their own)...there are plenty of us who feel little contstriction when it comes to travel. I could quickly list 20 things on my "to do" list that do not involve cruise ships. We do believe in the cruise industry and will invest accordingly...but when it comes to our own travel life there is a big world beyond a few cruise lines.

Hank

Just a suggestion. I just spent the little extra and took my first cruise with Viking Ocean on the 11 day West Indies Cruise on the Viking Sea. Absolutely phenomenal. Only 900 passengers, all cabins are balconies, free WiFi and free usage of PC's, free self serve washers/dryers and irons, free shore excursions (and optional offered), free speciality restaurants, NO nickel and diming for anything, no photographers, one short CD announcement per day, no loud music, NO chair hogs, excellent meals, service with a smile throughout the ship, quiet places throughout the ship, gracious, well traveled and polite fellow passengers. Simply great!

I would be interested in an opportunity to try my own blown glass. If it truly does turn into a passenger experience. Yes it would cost but I would skip a shore excursion for it.

When Solstice was new, they offered an excursion where you could make your own ornaments, it was near Christmas. We enjoyed the experience very much.

There was a charge for the experience. We also had a lunch in Murano with the Corning personnel that was included. Fun. :)

I have three cruises booked on S-class ships -- which are all going to be cancelled because of this change -- on top of many others. It may not seem like that big of a deal, but it is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Thanks, this did give me a good laugh when I read it [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As Chihuly nuts, we completely disagree -- especially since there are many restaurants on the ship but only one hot glass show. Chacon a son gout -- to some this will be an improvement, to us it is a major [probably fatal] disappointment, especially for the Caribbean which was fun the first few times but you can only see it so many times...

Okay

How about a water slide?:cool:

Too bad for those who never seen one of the shows, but I'm not terribly disappointed...we've been on all the "S" calls ships with this venue and our last cruise on Equinox, a TA, the venue was not very well attended...I suspect many had "been there, done that." I will hold off judgment until we hear what the "new" venue will be. ..

We cruise several weeks a year & my DH's consistent request was that we only cruise on ships with the Corning Glass Show. We have gone to Corning several times since it began. We did miss one week & he was not happy. He usually takes a towel or travel pillow to sit on because the seats were not very comfortable. We have 7 of their pieces - and love them. We will have to re-visit our reservations & decide if we are cancelling. Our whole group refuses to even consider the Edge class ships. Since we only book the lowly veranda cabins & not suites we refuse to be treated as 2nd class citizens & that is how all of us see those ships. Loyalty means nothing to Celebrity anymore. We are Elite Plus - 2 1/2 times the points of Elite & what do we get? Extra internet minutes that mean nothing since we pick unlimited internet (I'm on call 24/7) & 4 bags of laundry between us - on 7 night cruises we have to bring dirty laundry from home :D . Four bags in 7 nights - really??? On the last cruise the last day to turn laundry in was Wednesday, that means we had 30 pieces of laundry per day. We cruise 4 cabins together but they will never miss our lowly veranda bookings.

That may be overkill. Don’t get me wrong, we like the glass show and it’s good for about 20 mins of entertainment on a 10 day cruise.

This I believe is part of the problem. The shows take hours to watch and you never see the finished product unless you attend another show. On the Eclipse we did enjoy the shows but it was hard sitting on the benches for that long. We didn't go back after the 2nd show because you didn't see the end product and it became very tiresome.

None of the shows during the recent holiday cruise had a full audience. Many only had one row of seats filled.

I was never a big fan, but why do I know the main reason it is being done is to add something else to make money. Sad. I agree that a nice stage with some more live music/shows would be really nice. But unless they charged an entry fee (heaven help us) it will never happen. Ever since the current CEO took over it has all been about raising prices and building revenue generating spaces. I know Celebrity is in the business to make money blah, blah, blah, but they have been in business around 30 years and always did well without needing to operate this way. The 'they are a business' argument no longer flies with me - it's corporate greed plain and simple. At least the stockholders are happy. The rest of us not so much.

I would rather sit on the lawn and listen to a concert. I believe it would be a great venue for a concert at sea. Jazz on the lawn? String quartet? Classic Guitar? On a sunny afternoon I imagine that would make an exceptional venue for music.

That is a great idea

We're on the Equinox now, this was the last sailing with the Corning Museum of Glass Hot Glass Show on the Equinox. The other ships will have the show phased out in the next few months.

The venue is being renovated as we speak (the last show was the second to last day of our cruise). The three artists and their manager wouldn't say what was happening with the venue exactly, other than Celebrity is keeping the glass blowing equipment on board for an interactive guest experience with a different vendor (not Corning). He did say that it would be a paid experience, which did not fit with the museum's mission.

We’re lucky to have caught the last show, as this was our first cruise on a ship with the glass show (previously on Reflection and Summit twice each).

Did they happen to say when the new venue would begin? We cruise on Equinox on Feb 24th.

Just a suggestion. I just spent the little extra and took my first cruise with Viking Ocean on the 11 day West Indies Cruise on the Viking Sea. Absolutely phenomenal. Only 900 passengers, all cabins are balconies, free WiFi and free usage of PC's, free self serve washers/dryers and irons, free shore excursions (and optional offered), free speciality restaurants, NO nickel and diming for anything, no photographers, one short CD announcement per day, no loud music, NO chair hogs, excellent meals, service with a smile throughout the ship, quiet places throughout the ship, gracious, well traveled and polite fellow passengers. Simply great!

I’ve looked at Viking, and I’d need to spend much more than “a little extra” to book one of their cruises, but I’m glad you had such a wonderful experience:) How was the quality of the included wines?

I would rather sit on the lawn and listen to a concert. I believe it would be a great venue for a concert at sea. Jazz on the lawn? String quartet? Classic Guitar? On a sunny afternoon I imagine that would make an exceptional venue for music.

Great idea! Jazz or a string quartet on the lawn would be lovely.

Noooooooo!!! This is so very disappointing!!! That show was one of the main reasons we booked those ships. Absolutely loved the Corning glass shows. We would go every single night and found it to be one of the most interesting and enjoyable events on our cruises. Celebrity, you are losing such a great treasure and partnership by doing this! We always would seek the ships with the glass blowing when booking a cruise. I can not tell you how disappointed I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums