Bit of a moan - NCL Escape

stevencairns88

Has anyone been affected by major itinerary changes in the past? Do you think this is a fair way to handle the changes?

Any advice appreciated. I'm absolutely gutted.

Yes. Many times. Some have been disappointing but some have been blessings in disguise. And it’s fair since it’s part of the contract that we all agree to when we cruise.

With all due respect, your original itinerary was awful. I would be thrilled to have an itinerary change like yours, even if you’ve been to Bermuda before. It beats Nassau and Port Canaveral any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much but Bermuda is going to be cold and wet in November.

Contractually yes, but has anyone has a similar significant itinerary change with NCL they can share experience of, how easy they were to deal with and anything they were able to do?

yes, everyone loves Bermuda, but I dont want to go in November haha. And I don't want a single stop cruise. :)

Now you're just starting to sound petulant. Bermuda is not going to be cold and wet. Look here: https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000158.htm

Average day-time highs are 75°F. That's not cold, and only about 5° cooler than the Bahamas. Ave rainfall is 14 days per month, in short spans. Not all day every day. The Bahamas average about 10 days of rain. Not a big difference. And you are choosing to go to the lower north Atlantic in late hurricane season. Some rain is to be expected.

As you know, it is within the T&C of any cruiseline that ports can be omitted or changed at any time. You've been given options. Itinerary changes happen all the time on every cruiseline. Perhaps you read of the massive changes on short notice because of the Caribbean hurricanes last year?

And truthfully, you could have taken NCL up on any of their other options if you hadn't booked your flights so very far out. There was no need to book nonrefundable flights more than 10 months in advance. So now you're stuck. That's not NCLs fault.

Many, many people have had itinerary changes over the past five months because of the impact of hurricanes Irma and Maria in the Caribbean and received no additional compensation or options. If you really want to go on the original itinerary can you see what the cost would be for changes to the airline tickets to different dates? You've gone all out it sounds like, and if Port Canaveral, GSC and Nassau is your dream vacation it may be worth shelling out some additional cash to get what you want.

NCL Gem sails Oct. 27 = N.Y. > Bahamas

Can you do a transfer ?

This might be your best option. A $50 OBC sounds typical for NCL and everyone is right, the contract is on NCL's side and that's the only way they are going to look at it. Bermuda is nice, but not so much in November and the Bahamas will be a bit warmer. Who cares if everyone else thinks the Bahamas sucks, if that's where you want to go that's all that matters.

I’m guessing refundable airfare for the OP is about twice the price of regular, as it is in many countries. If that’s the case, have you looked at just changing the return date? Sometimes that’s a much smaller fee per person. Then if time allowed, you could fly out on the original date, spend a few days where the cruise originates, then take the later cruise with the original itinerary.

Although I’m with the group that says extra days in Bermuda are well worth missing the Bahamas ports.

We had a similar situation with a NCL cruise and there was nothing we could do due to all the money non refundable that we had already put down. So all we did was begrudgingly go and make the best of it but we were very disappointed. Our dream trip that we spent so much time saving up for was not our dream and there was nothing we could about accept not go and loose all the money we saved up for so long so we went. I understand changes due to weather but this is different. Now please don’t respond with “the cruiseline has the right and get insurance” because this is different I really feel for this posters dissapointment!

We had a similar situation with a NCL cruise and there was nothing we could do due to all the money non refundable that we had already put down. So all we did was begrudgingly go and make the best of it but we were very disappointed. Our dream trip that we spent so much time saving up for was not our dream and there was nothing we could about accept not go and loose all the money we saved up for so long so we went. I understand changes due to weather but this is different. Now please don’t respond with “the cruiseline has the right and get insurance” because this is different I really feel for this posters dissapointment!

Would you sail with NCL ever again? (And I don't see where insurance would have been much help unless you had cancel for any reason and even with that you're still out 25% of your money usually.)

Well ... it's pretty apparent that you are not going to get an answer to what you actually asked.

As soon as people saw the upgraded change of itinerary ... you lost them/us. Sorry.

An answer was given, the OP isn’t going to get anything else in compensation. They could re-route to Canada (and have).

This might be your best option. A $50 OBC sounds typical for NCL and everyone is right, the contract is on NCL's side and that's the only way they are going to look at it. Bermuda is nice, but not so much in November and the Bahamas will be a bit warmer. Who cares if everyone else thinks the Bahamas sucks, if that's where you want to go that's all that matters.

Actually OP you could look into the possibility of cancelling with NCL and booking with another line, several sail out of the northeast/NYC area. You are outside final payment so there should be no penalty.

NCL will always do what NCL wants to do, no matter how it impacts its passengers, and yes, everything is within the terms of your contract with them.

Several years ago, we had a suite on the Pearl booked for a Southern Caribbean cruise.

I got a call from my PCC a couple of months before the cruise, and I was told the cruise was cancelled. I asked him why, and he said simply the Pearl was chartered that week!

All they offered was a similar cabin on a later cruise! That was it!:(

Actually OP you could look into the possibility of cancelling with NCL and booking with another line, several sail out of the northeast/NYC area. You are outside final payment so there should be no penalty.

I think OP is Australian, so he might lose his deposit if he cancels. I think booking conditions are different.

travel insurance won't cover you for itinerary change (as there has been no cancellation)

I don't know if it would have helped you, but there is travel insurance with this kind of coverage - Nationwide's cruise specific policies cover itinerary changes like this (prior to departure) to the tune of $500-$1250 per covered individual, depending on the policy purchased (the only caveat for US residents is that it's not available to the residents in certain States for some reason. Not sure about foreigners.)

I think OP is Australian, so he might lose his deposit if he cancels. I think booking conditions are different.

Possibly, but I'd rather lose my deposit than sail to a place I really don't want to go to. If that is the case then it might be possible to convince NCL to waive the forfeiture since the itinerary changed through no fault of the passenger.

I'm sorry the cruise you booked isn't the cruise you are getting. I hope you discover that you really like the freedom of 3 days in the same port.

Chances are they are not going to budge on the amount they have offered..

The only good thing is at least they didn't cancel the cruise altogether.

NCL will always do what NCL wants to do, no matter how it impacts its passengers, and yes, everything is within the terms of your contract with them.

Several years ago, we had a suite on the Pearl booked for a Southern Caribbean cruise.

I got a call from my PCC a couple of months before the cruise, and I was told the cruise was cancelled. I asked him why, and he said simply the Pearl was chartered that week!

Saedely

All they offered was a similar cabin on a later cruise! That was it!:(

Sadly most of the mass market cruise lines can and do charter cruises out from people who have already booked. they make lots of money on charters and it is always about the money.

It irritates me when it costs a 'bumped person' out of pocket money. That upsets me more than the fact the ship wa s charrted. When the cruise line leaves a booked passenger without a cruise and losing money as well l. When they throw a tiny bone of money and call it a day, many lose money by the cruisee line's actions. They should make everyone whole for evidencced cancellaiton fees. iMO