Bermuda vs Alaska

LuckyLori

We went on our first cruise last Oct to the Western Caribbean it was a great week except for the weather didn’t cooperate, it was rainy and chilly. We choose the Pearl for the ports, this time I want to see a mega boat and all the excitement on board. While the Pearl was great is was a little underwhelming.

For our next cruise my husband wants to go to Alaska and I want to go to Bermuda. My thinking is with a cruise to Bermuda you have more full days to enjoy the ship. With a cruise to Alaska there are a lot of ports, I know you don’t have to do excursions but that’s why you go right?

So my question is which is better with these two choices Alaska and all it’s glory on the Pearl or spend the extra money for the Bliss? Or Bermuda on the bliss?

I’m a sun lover my husband is a golfer but not really a sun lover. What is typical weather in Bermuda, when is the best time to go? What is the best time to go to Alaska early in the season or late?

Sorry this is so long but I would love to hear pros and cons of each cruise and the best excursions for each destination!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went on our first cruise last Oct to the Western Caribbean it was a great week except for the weather didn’t cooperate, it was rainy and chilly. We choose the Pearl for the ports, this time I want to see a mega boat and all the excitement on board. While the Pearl was great is was a little underwhelming.

For our next cruise my husband wants to go to Alaska and I want to go to Bermuda. My thinking is with a cruise to Bermuda you have more full days to enjoy the ship. With a cruise to Alaska there are a lot of ports, I know you don’t have to do excursions but that’s why you go right?

So my question is which is better with these two choices Alaska and all it’s glory on the Pearl or spend the extra money for the Bliss? Or Bermuda on the bliss?

I’m a sun lover my husband is a golfer but not really a sun lover. What is typical weather in Bermuda, when is the best time to go? What is the best time to go to Alaska early in the season or late?

Sorry this is so long but I would love to hear pros and cons of each cruise and the best excursions for each destination!!

I don't believe the Bliss is going to Bermuda as far as I know. Currently it is Escape and Dawn with Gem replacing Dawn next year.

They are completely different experiences - my vote is do one this year and the other next.

Been to Bermuda in May & June, once on Breakaway and once on once on Dawn, I would say June is a good month - not too hot. Big ships vs. small ships it is all personal preference. I like all ships!

Went to Alaska in August on the Jewel, it was a little chilly (from CT), overcast, and rainy. The sights are beautiful, but it is not warm and tropical...

If you want a warm sunny tropical vacation pick Bermuda, if you are all about the sights pick Alaska... Isn't the golfing excellent in Bermuda?

Ironically my last two cruises were Alaska on the Jewel and Bermuda on the Breakaway. Both were fantastic and I agree with the other poster that you should do both! We went to Bermuda in July and it was incredibly hot. If I went again I would go in May or June. The breakaway was fun, more to do than the Jewel, but also very crowded. If you could go before school lets out I would recommend it. Bermuda is stunning, the beaches are amazing.

Everyone should go on an Alaska cruise. I liked this the best of all my cruises so far. I don't mind cooler weather and the scenery is unreal. Definitely get a balcony room so you don't miss anything. The Jewel was a great ship. Definitely not as much to do, but the scenery made up for it. We had a great time in all the ports and I believe there was at least one sea day. One of the port days was short as well and you sailed down a straight to a glacier. Not to be missed!! We went to Alaska in May and got some really nice weather.

You'll have a great time with either one, but if you choose Bermuda, definitely plan for Alaska for next time!

Bermuda is fantastic - we've actually done 4 cruises to Bermuda on 4 different lines we love it so much (between 1 day and 3 days there). We did the Breakaway and loved it overall. Its a great ship with a lot to do and fabulous shows. I find the pool area to be way too crowded but it would not keep me from booking this ship again, or the Escape. In Bermuda you can come and go as you please over the 3 days, which is a luxury when cruising. You can explore on your own safely using public transit (quaint pink busses), ferries (To Hamilton and St. George) and mini van shuttles to and from the famous and most beautiful Horseshoe Bay beach. We usually plan the day so we come back for a late lunch and get back out again in the late afternoon. On another note, some of the best golfing can be found in Bermuda.

I haven't done Alaska so I can't comment. I agree though with others that you should plan both :-)! Happy cruising!!

We have yet to make it to Bermuda, but want to. We have been to Alaska 3 times, May, August, and June. You run the risk of overcast, rainy weather at any time. Personally, I would pick early June, or late August, simply because you are coming into the summer in June, and leaving the summer in August. When it comes down to it, it is like the flip of a coin, you may get crappy weather, or you may not, or you will get both.

I don't believe the Bliss is going to Bermuda as far as I know. Currently it is Escape and Dawn with Gem replacing Dawn next year.

They are completely different experiences - my vote is do one this year and the other next.

Which of these ships are the biggest or best in your opinion?

Bermuda is fantastic - we've actually done 4 cruises to Bermuda on 4 different lines we love it so much (between 1 day and 3 days there). We did the Breakaway and loved it overall. Its a great ship with a lot to do and fabulous shows. I find the pool area to be way too crowded but it would not keep me from booking this ship again, or the Escape. In Bermuda you can come and go as you please over the 3 days, which is a luxury when cruising. You can explore on your own safely using public transit (quaint pink busses), ferries (To Hamilton and St. George) and mini van shuttles to and from the famous and most beautiful Horseshoe Bay beach. We usually plan the day so we come back for a late lunch and get back out again in the late afternoon. On another note, some of the best golfing can be found in Bermuda.

I haven't done Alaska so I can't comment. I agree though with others that you should plan both :-)! Happy cruising!!

The pool is not a big draw for us. We are in our 50’s and more interested in the shows and entertainment.

Which ship was better?

The Escape is sailing to Bermuda this year (2018). I am not sure about Alaska sailings. The Escape is a great ship with a lot to do indoors and out, including the amazing "waterfront" area. If you want great relaxing and enjoying time on the ship, the Escape is definitely the way to go.

We have done both, the Breakaway in Sept to Bermuda and Silverseas to Alaska. Alaska is a must no matter what ship you take. We went in mid June. We took Silverseas for the size of the ship (380 passengers) vs whats on board. The weather was great. Slight chill in am & warmer in the afternoons.

In my opinion, both destinations are a must.

We did Bermuda in early May some years ago, and it was a little cold. We left out of Boston and the entire time on the ship wasn't great because it's cold around Boston that time of year. Bermuda is basically off the coast of North Carolina, so it has similar weather... the warmest it got in Bermuda was 72 F while we were there. It was a good cruise, but I would think June would be a much better time to go.

Our very first cruise was to Bermuda and we loved it so much that we have been back 7 times.

However our very best and most enjoyable cruise was to Alaska. We did 7 days land followed by 7 days cruise.

Enjoy whichever you choose .

Ironically my last two cruises were Alaska on the Jewel and Bermuda on the Breakaway. Both were fantastic and I agree with the other poster that you should do both! We went to Bermuda in July and it was incredibly hot. If I went again I would go in May or June. The breakaway was fun, more to do than the Jewel, but also very crowded. If you could go before school lets out I would recommend it. Bermuda is stunning, the beaches are amazing.

Everyone should go on an Alaska cruise. I liked this the best of all my cruises so far. I don't mind cooler weather and the scenery is unreal. Definitely get a balcony room so you don't miss anything. The Jewel was a great ship. Definitely not as much to do, but the scenery made up for it. We had a great time in all the ports and I believe there was at least one sea day. One of the port days was short as well and you sailed down a straight to a glacier. Not to be missed!! We went to Alaska in May and got some really nice weather.

You'll have a great time with either one, but if you choose Bermuda, definitely plan for Alaska for next time!

If we decide on Alaska which side of the boat is better for a balcony room? Or is the front or back of the boat better? The first full day of our cruise we went to a thing in the stardust theatre which is at the front of the boat and I got a little sea sick. But I had the patches and was better after I put them on. This time I’m putting the patches on the first day. I think a cabin on the front of the ship would be awesome if I don’t get sick again.

Bermuda was nice, but Alaska is awesome.

The old Michelin Guides used to have three stars rating for visiting.

3 stars was Must See

2 stars go out of your way to see it

1 star see it if it is on your way.

Alaska is 3 stars and Bermuda is 1 star.

Going to Bermuda on the Escape in 2019. It's our 1st time there. We chose this because of the ship and warm weather.

Alaska is cool, I may cruise there but it's a little cold depending on the time of year. Plus whale watching would be my onky draw.

Bermuda vs Alaska is all about costs and Bermuda would win Every time from where we will be traveling from.

We will be on the bliss in 2020 to the Bahamas. Good luck with your decision. Maybe do Alaska one year, Bermuda the next? Solves both issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

We live in northwest Kansas. Today we have 4 inches of snow and it was 9 degrees yesterday. But we can have 100 degrees in the summer. My husband and I are opposites anything below 70 and I’m cold, anything above 70 and he calls it hot.

He is retired and I own my own business so we can go whenever we want. However we have only taken 2 week long vacations in 33 years. One to Orlando with our daughter 20 years ago and our cruise last October. So one cruise ever Year is probably not going to happen. But a girl can dream!!

What are the best excursions in Alaska and in Bermuda? I know it’s is different for everyone but I’m curious what are the must do ones!

Thanks everyone I really appreciate you input!

We live in northwest Kansas. Today we have 4 inches of snow and it was 9 degrees yesterday. But we can have 100 degrees in the summer. My husband and I are opposites anything below 70 and I’m cold, anything above 70 and he calls it hot.

He is retired and I own my own business so we can go whenever we want. However we have only taken 2 week long vacations in 33 years. One to Orlando with our daughter 20 years ago and our cruise last October. So one cruise ever Year is probably not going to happen. But a girl can dream!!

What are the best excursions in Alaska and in Bermuda? I know it’s is different for everyone but I’m curious what are the must do ones!

I just checked on prices, for what we and our cruise mates would pick for our cabins the prices difference is about $1500 for the group more for the Bliss as compared to the price on the Pearl. Is the bigger ship worth it? As far as food and entertainment.

If we decide on Alaska which side of the boat is better for a balcony room? Or is the front or back of the boat better? The first full day of our cruise we went to a thing in the stardust theatre which is at the front of the boat and I got a little sea sick. But I had the patches and was better after I put them on. This time I’m putting the patches on the first day. I think a cabin on the front of the ship would be awesome if I don’t get sick again.

I'm not sure it really matters what side of the boat you are on. Often you are traveling up passages that have amazing scenery on both sides. And then you travel back out and get to see the opposite side. I had originally booked an aft cabin, but upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. The Aft would have been great for viewing, but it can be a bit cold so don't think we would have used it as much as we did on our Bermuda cruise. I don't think I missed anything with our smaller balcony. I did purchase some fold up blankets which were awesome for the balcony to keep the wind out a bit. I had read that the front of the ship is very windy, so you may want to check other reviews. I wrote a pretty long review of our Alaska trip and a shorter one for our Bermuda trip if you find them helpful.

For Alaska, I suggest taking a one way cruise from Vancouver to Seward than a three or four day land trip including Denali.

We did the cruise on NCL that was great. We loved Glacier Bay (not every cruise line does Glacier Bay).

Here is my review of our Canada, Alaska trip and cruise.

Alaska, Vancouver and the Canadian Rockies

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=547125&et_cid=2764671&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

We visited Bermuda (had one and a half days there) on our transatlantic cruise from England to Miami

28 days in Britain and Celebrity Eclipse home The Bermuda part is toward the end of the review.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=599139

For Alaska, I suggest taking a one way cruise from Vancouver to Seward than a three or four day land trip including Denali.

We did the cruise on NCL that was great. We loved Glacier Bay (not every cruise line does Glacier Bay).

Here is my review of our Canada, Alaska trip and cruise.

Alaska, Vancouver and the Canadian Rockies

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=547125&et_cid=2764671&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

We visited Bermuda (had one and a half days there) on our transatlantic cruise from England to Miami

28 days in Britain and Celebrity Eclipse home The Bermuda part is toward the end of the review.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=599139

Thanks for the link! Is sounds like you had a great vacation!!

LuckyLori,

Bermuda and Alaska are two very different experiences as are the large and smaller ships.

We took the Pearl roundtrip out of Seattle to Alaska and it was absolutely perfect. There is so much to do in the ports in Alaska that all the extra entertainment, etc. on a larger ship would have been a waste for us. We just ate in the buffet at the end of each day and went to bed early.

We took Liberty of the Seas (a large RCCL ship) to Bermuda. Having the extra activities on those sea days was a big plus. We had taken a much smaller ship to Bermuda many years ago and it got a bit boring on the sea days.

So Pearl for Alaska and a bigger ship to Bermuda. As to which that is personal preference.

LuckyLori,

Bermuda and Alaska are two very different experiences as are the large and smaller ships.

We took the Pearl roundtrip out of Seattle to Alaska and it was absolutely perfect. There is so much to do in the ports in Alaska that all the extra entertainment, etc. on a larger ship would have been a waste for us. We just ate in the buffet at the end of each day and went to bed early.

We took Liberty of the Seas (a large RCCL ship) to Bermuda. Having the extra activities on those sea days was a big plus. We had taken a much smaller ship to Bermuda many years ago and it got a bit boring on the sea days.

So Pearl for Alaska and a bigger ship to Bermuda. As to which that is personal preference.

That’s kinda what I was thinking also. Now I just have to talk my husband into going on two cruises.

This sounds just like what we were dealing with last year. . Last year was our 35 wedding anniversary. I wanted to do a back to back to Bermuda. He wanted to go to Alaska. So I started reading the reviews on here about Alaska. They had me sold. So my deal was...we will go to Alaska but it has to be a 2 week cruise. So we booked a 14 day cruise that sailed last May. It was the BEST VACATION EVER. ( we are doing Bermuda this September) As much as I LOVE BERMUDA, Alaska won my heart. The weather in May was perfect. We had cold days, we had a little rain and even snow one evening, but most of the days off the boat were in the 50's. You just dress accordingly. I would also say if you could do a 14 day go for it. We stopped in so many ports and mostly did our own thing and saw tons. Just the scenery when you are on the boat is just beautiful.

Now for Bermuda, we have gone in September and October. The weather was perfect both months. The water is warm in September because it has had all summer to warm up. Think of North Carolina weather when booking. BERMUDA is my all time favorite WARMER place to go. The island is just beautiful and the people are wonderful. It is no where near like the Caribbean.

Going to either place you will not regret, but if you get a chance, please do both.