Poor Treatment by Norwegian Cruise Lines

MOcruiserman

I've had a very unpleasant experience with Norwegian Cruise Lines and they've definitely lost my future business.

I'm supposed to leave for a cruise tour in Hawaii in a few days.

On January 25 I received an email from Norwegian informing me that Norwegian will arrange for a transfer from the Honolulu airport to my hotel but only if I let them know my arrival time. They gave me a phone number to call. I called the number and gave them my arrival information. Today I was reviewing my cruise documents and didn't see anything about the transfer. I called my Norwegian cruise agent and was told that there was no record of my phone call and it was now too late to take advantage of the transfer. I argued my case and was referred to a supervisor. The supervisor said, basically, too bad, there's nothing she could do. I let them know that I had booked an 11 day cruise to the British Isles in September, for which I hadn't paid yet, and that I would cancel that cruise and do no more business with them unless they gave me the transfer. The response was still, "sorry, there's nothing we can do."

Norwegian's decision to deny me the transfer is a business decision they may have had the right to make. But as a consumer I also have the right to take my vacation business elsewhere, which I will do.

I strongly recommend that my fellow cruisers consider this post before using Norwegian.

In general, NCL is fairly reasonable and accommodating if you treat their call center personnel with respect and professionalism. If you are augmentative and start threatening their call center personnel, they are not going out of my way to help you. And they shouldn't. No one deserves to be yelled at or threatened. Reading between the lines of the post, it sounds like flight information should have been provided long ago (not a few weeks prior to cruise) and wasn't.

There will be shuttle services in baggage claim calling out to arriving passengers, offering service to Waikiki. It will be cheaper than a taxi. And make sure that you connect with the NCL representatives at the hotel to ensure that you don't miss the transfer to the port, too.

If you are at the Marriott, it is a wonderful hotel about a block away from the beach. It's a great location in the center of Waikiki.

Call pre-cruise guest services again, talk to them nicely and not like a bully, and see if they can get you that transfer 800.327.7030

Norwegian's decision to deny me the transfer is a business decision they may have had the right to make. But as a consumer I also have the right to take my vacation business elsewhere, which I will do.

Quite right. Both you and NCL are within your rights here.

I strongly recommend that my fellow cruisers consider this post before using Norwegian.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Stuff happens, and in the world of stuff that happens this one is so minor that most of us wouldn't have even bothered with a post. We certainly aren't going to use this as a reason to not cruise with a line we like.

That’s unfortunate. I also called and was told I would get an email. A few days later my TA and NCL both sent me a downloadable attachment (a few pages) explaining the process for the transfer and hotel check-in. Hope the rest of the trip goes well for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Ncl transfers we have taken are in a big bus so you wait around at the airport and then you all arrive at the hotel at the same time and wait in a long check in line.

Easier to get to the hotel earlier and start your vacation. With the cruise tour you will have an NCL rep. Ask him or her about getting a credit on board for the value of the transfer if it really matters that much to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi CruisemanVa, In Hawaii, the natives will give you sign, the Shaka, meaning “no worry”! So don’t let your intent to prove a point, deter you from enjoying a wonderful experience in the Hawaiian Paradise. Your holiday is much more than just a transfer.

Enjoy yourself and “no worries!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had a NCL transfer from our hotel in Seattle for my Alaskan cruise. Their pickup time was 12:15. As we were in a suite, we wanted to be on the ship ASAP to start enjoying the pampering. We took a cab and was on the ship shortly after 11 and was finishing lunch by 12:15.

Don

We used transfers before and I agree with some posters ... at the airport, we were herded into a collection point and had to wait 20 minutes for more people to show up. Getting on the bus with luggage being loaded and less than agile shipmates was another 20 minutes. It wasn’t all that cheaper, but we didn’t feel it worth it because we just want to get out of the airport and to the destination ASAP.

Going to the airport, there was less wait to fill the bus, but it was a waste of time when the driver stopped at multiple terminals. YRMV.

I’m not sure why people are giving the OP such a hard time. If their package includes a transfer and NCL is refusing to honor that, I would be upset too. At the point when OP called and spoke to a supervisor about the issue and directly related future business NCL would lose over such a silly, arbitrary decision, the right thing to do would be to give the OP the transfer they paid for. If it really was a logistical impossibility at that point, some token OBC corresponding to the value of the transfer should be offered. There’s nothing unreasonable about demanding to get what you paid for. How would you feel if you paid for a suite and checked in to find you were in an inside room? Not ok.

I've had a very unpleasant experience with Norwegian Cruise Lines and they've definitely lost my future business.

On January 25 I received an email from Norwegian informing me that Norwegian will arrange for a transfer from the Honolulu airport to my hotel but only if I let them know my arrival time. They gave me a phone number to call. I called the number and gave them my arrival information. Today I was reviewing my cruise documents and didn't see anything about the transfer. I called my Norwegian cruise agent and was told that there was no record of my phone call and it was now too late to take advantage of the transfer. I argued my case and was referred to a supervisor. The supervisor said, basically, too bad, there's nothing she could do. I let them know that I had booked an 11 day cruise to the British Isles in September, for which I hadn't paid yet, and that I would cancel that cruise and do no more business with them unless they gave me the transfer. The response was still, "sorry, there's nothing we can do."

Thank you for your post. Since you did not complete the transaction within the required time frame the decision by NCL was correct. It was OP's responsibility to follow up. NCL's position and their stand makes me support them more instead of less. It is time for business to send people on their way when they try to bully their way into something. OP seems to be of the entitled generation. I will continue to give NCL my business. OP's experience does nothing to change that.

If OP doesn't want to cruise with NCL because of something so stupid that is their choice. If OP is upset over a decision about a precruise transfer OP needs to look at their priorities. Unless OP is a solo a cab would costs you about half of what the transfer would costs, and would get you to the hotel much quicker.

If OP wants to cut of their nose to spite their face that is their privilege.

Since OP is leaving CC, I hope they find another cruise message board that is as robust and has as much info.

Edited by zqvol

I have been a member of cruise critic for a few years. I haven't posted much, and one of the reasons I have not is because people on here attack people for sharing feelings, or experiences. I am not saying I agree with what the op is saying, I just don't understand why; people get so mean. I don't know if the op will never cruise ncl again or if he was just venting . I have cruised one time with ncl and loved it and will be doing it again in May.

I have been a member of cruise critic for a few years. I haven't posted much, and one of the reasons I have not is because people on here attack people for sharing feelings, or experiences. I am not saying I agree with what the op is saying, I just don't understand why; people get so mean. I don't know if the op will never cruise ncl again or if he was just venting . I have cruised one time with ncl and loved it and will be doing it again in May.

Instead of the OP basically telling us not to cruise with NCL ever again, he should have warned people to double and triple check their arrangements with NCL. Something like that we can take. Being told we should never cruise NCL, because HE/SHE had one problem, is ridiculous!

Two things that I suggest you do in the future; regardless of which cruise line you use.

1. Find a reliable travel agent (maybe someone recommended by a friend or relative). You will get a better response and quicker answers to any of your questions.

2. Never use the cruise line transfers unless the distance from airport to cruise terminal is so far that cabs or shuttles are too expensive. We have used cabs from Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. We never have paid more than $27 plus tip for the two of us.

I'm sorry I posted - I thought I was doing people a favor.

But I see I've run into Norwegian fan boyz.

Bye Cruise Critic.

If you treated people on cruise critic with respect and less drama, you may have got some sympathy and help. “I screwed up and didn’t get my transfer information to the cruise line in time, so they won’t schedule a transfer for me. Any suggestions on who I could talk to at NCL for help getting me on a bus” may have got you the answers you seek. The “I strongly recommend you avoid NCL because they did not react to my threats”,,,, not so much.

The NCL call center is notoriously bad. People post about issues all the time. It sucks that you ran into one.

Like others, I’m not going to turn your molehill into a mountain. We have real problems in life and we have minor inconveniences, and it’s wise to learn the difference. You’d be happier and likely enjoy 2 amazing cruises if you were able to shake off this inconvenience.

OP, I have never done a cruise tour or booked a transfer with NCL, so this is just a complete guess on my part. But, if I were you, I might just look for the NCL transfer bus once I arrive at the airport and just see if perhaps they do have your name listed as a passenger. If you did call, and they took your information, perhaps the transfers people do actually know about it, and have a record of your call, but somehow that part wasn't communicated to your PCC? Again, just a guess, but I'd ask anyway. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Did you do a follow up with their administration? Do you know who you talked to and when? The call was most likely recorded.