What changes should be made to VIFP?

Joebucks

So last year, Carnival talked about making changes to VIFP. Basically saying they wanted to make more compelling rewards for cruisers around their "third" cruise. Here is the link:

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-considers-updating-loyalty/

What are your thoughts? If I had to keep it to 3 points:

1.) Make 1 universal program for all Carnival brands. I think it would be a good way to get people into more of Carnival's premium brands.

2.) Offer gold and above a discount in the fun shops, internet programs, excursions, premium dining, and even cheers. Even if it is only 10%. Maybe 15% for Platinum. 20% for Diamond.

3.) Free room service again for gold and above

Last time Carnival spent three years telling us about the wonderful and positive changes coming to the loyalty program, we were given the VIFP Club which only took away benefits. Be careful what you wish for.

If you’re looking for additional benefits, check out other cruise lines and consider starting over from the bottom. Personally, I hope Carnival Corporation never has a combined program across their portfolio of brands.

So last year, Carnival talked about making changes to VIFP. Basically saying they wanted to make more compelling rewards for cruisers around their "third" cruise. Here is the link:

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-considers-updating-loyalty/

What are your thoughts? If I had to keep it to 3 points:

1.) Make 1 universal program for all Carnival brands. I think it would be a good way to get people into more of Carnival's premium brands.

2.) Offer gold and above a discount in the fun shops, internet programs, excursions, premium dining, and even cheers. Even if it is only 10%. Maybe 15% for Platinum. 20% for Diamond.

3.) Free room service again for gold and above

I like your ideas. I'm coming up on my 3rd Carnival cruise (42 days, yay!) with my 4th booked next year. The only thing I would add is doing something for Solo cruisers, in regards to price or points.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a long way from Gold to the next level, Platinum.

To us it's not enough incentive to be an important factor in keeping us sailing Carnival. We're retired and normally cruise once of twice a year so it's not a given we're going to rack up lots of loyalty points. We booked the next 2 based on the ship size/class, itinerary and home port. We could just as easily chosen another line if it met the requirements.

Our favorite line is actually HAL but with the closest home port being Ft Lauderdale that adds another day and hotel stay driving down and another driving home besides the hotel for the night before the cruise.

I like your ideas. I'm coming up on my 3rd Carnival cruise (42 days, yay!) with my 4th booked next year. The only thing I would add is doing something for Solo cruisers, in regards to price or points.

100% agree for Singles paying double for a Cabin/for Points, also put something in the Middle from Platinum to Diamond

Thanks

Mike

Think about it, thousands of people are high levels, it isn't that hard to obtain. You really think more perks are going to be given out? The thinking of combining "brands", isn't going to work either. IF they did that, attainment levels would have to be multiple times higher. You really think, that a Diamond Carnival cruiser is going to go to the top level on all the lines? Highly doubt it. Only way to gain status- is to cruise the cruise lines and cruise more. Once a year cruisers ARE going to have a slow climb, fact, how it is.

The program needs a fiscal component just like the airlines. You fly business you get 50% more miles, you fly first, you get double miles. I have an offer on my account for a 7 day cruise for $280,++. I have a 7 day cruise booked in a suite for $6,000. Same number of nights for both in the rewards program. You should also get rewarded for charges to your folio while cruising.

Some perks at various levels would be reservations for anything from deck chairs to punchliners to or musical theater. They could also offer coupons for drinks, soda, coffee, snacks, or hidden menu from room service. Chocolate Melting Cake comes to mind, or the tasty Indian dishes the cooks make for themselves.

Truth is the current reward level I am at that delivers a free bottle of water does not exactly have me reaching for the phone to book my next cruise. The value for the money of the trip is what has me booked twice more this year.

Yea, considering the average number of CCL cruises each passengers on board has taken, I doubt they'll give any new perks. If they do, they'll be nominal like an extra bottle of water. I pay zero attention to loyalty programs because most are a joke and not worth the loyalty .....

I think instead of the pin you should get a choice between a pin and other "swag" like Carnival Tshirts or baseball cap.

Also I a Gold and the main perk is a free drink and bottle of water. Now that I get Cheers those are both included in that package so I basically don't get a perk for being gold.

If we're just dreaming --

Throw in a "Titanium" or some such level between Platinum and Diamond (if you think it's a long way from Gold to Platinum, try going from Platinum to Diamond). Add a level above Diamond, something like NCL's Ambassador. Add discounts in the shops and excursions -- I liked the suggestion of 10% for Gold, 15% for Platinum, and 20% for Diamond. Even with the discounts, there would still be a profit. Add a "perk" for Platinum and above, maybe your choice of a Cheers! package, an internet package, or something like that. Cheers! would be popular, so you might have to limit that to once a year, or once on attaining the next level.

If we add the Titanium and Ambassador levels, though, we might have to take away priority boarding and guaranteed dining times for Platinums, and we'd have to shuffle those discounts in the fun shops and excursions. To compensate, perhaps we could offer a steakhouse dinner to the affected Platinums.

Let the flaming begin....

Think about it, thousands of people are high levels, it isn't that hard to obtain. You really think more perks are going to be given out? The thinking of combining "brands", isn't going to work either. IF they did that, attainment levels would have to be multiple times higher. You really think, that a Diamond Carnival cruiser is going to go to the top level on all the lines? Highly doubt it. Only way to gain status- is to cruise the cruise lines and cruise more. Once a year cruisers ARE going to have a slow climb, fact, how it is.

Given loyalty status for sister cruise line would get people to stay in the family.

When benefits are already so minimally different between the levels, even between Platinum and Diamond is it really relevant to introduce additional levels other than to make people feel good?

Honestly the only perk we enjoy at Platnium is with embarkation and debarkation. The pins are never looked at again. Most gifts are meh. With all the food on the ship we don't need the chocolates delivered. Free laundry sounds good but when they wash everything together in one large washer of hot water and don't use softeners it's meh. Priority for MDR has never been used in 18 cruises. Same for tendering. The free drink is so limited when you can redeem, do you really want a drink at breakfast, like really?

So with 18 cruises and 3 more already booked there is only one benefit we find useful, but I know that's just one person's view....

With that, Carnival should really look at what would really be of value to offer before even considering additional changes to number of levels now offered.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

The program needs a fiscal component just like the airlines.

Agreed. Currently only the number of cruise nights counts. However, some of these cruise nights are a LOT cheaper than others. Also, some people don't spend much onboard after the fare and gratuities, while others spend a ton of money. Carnival should be looking at the money people are paying more than the number of nights, if they are smart.

While I enjoyed Princess, I sometimes don't even check their cruises because of pricing.

Itinerary and (new) ship may get me to look at their fares more often, along with a theoretical "loyalty match" program.

MSC offers a loyalty match for any cruiser/hotel guest member from an unrelated company, even for 1st time cruisers on their own ships like me. My Diamond Carnival translates to their top ranked Black Card for my 1st ever cruise on MSC. Granted, they are trying to be a new player in the Caribbean market so they are hungry for business.

I would love to see a loyalty match throughout all of Carnival's brands, but this comes from a fairly loyal Carnival guest The question becomes: . Can the cruisers who sail the sister companies tolerate basic Carnival cruisers aboard their ships?

Agreed. Currently only the number of cruise nights counts. However, some of these cruise nights are a LOT cheaper than others. Also, some people don't spend much onboard after the fare and gratuities, while others spend a ton of money. Carnival should be looking at the money people are paying more than the number of nights, if they are smart.

HAL gives 1 night Loyalty Credit for every $300 the cabin spends on-board up to the total number of nights booked. Counts on things like alcohol and alcohol packages, excursions and anything bought in the shops. DH and I travel together and each get the 1 night credit for each $300 the cabin spends - not sure if a guest 3 and/or 4 gets the credit too.

I think that would be too costly of a benefit. They would be foregoing an entire fare just to have one guest board. Also, why should they earn more points? It's not a mass-market loyalty benefit IMO. Not that I don't agree with the problem you're identifying. I believe the lack of friendliness towards single cruisers is a failure of Carnival policy, not VIFP. They should at least have some "solo" smaller cabins on each ship.

Think about it, thousands of people are high levels, it isn't that hard to obtain. You really think more perks are going to be given out?.

The point of the article was the third cruise could be a "turning point". There's no secret that the climb from gold to platinum is far. For some, platinum still isn't enough. I don't think it's out of the question to boost gold even by a little to keep at least some people interested.

NO cross-line loyalty. Why should anyone get the same loyalty perks on HAL after a slew of cheap 3-day Carnival booze cruises?

Bring back the free drink instead of the coupon you can only use in the dining room at brunch.

Or...take a walk on the wild side and start climbing the loyalty ladder on other lines.

Point taken. However, I still strongly feel that there needs to be some sort of bridge or else your last point is what could happen. If people get "bored" of CCL cruises, they could start sailing RCI or NCL. I think that's the last thing Carnival wants. What if Carnival could not only keep those cruisers, but upsell them? Maybe a universal program isn't the best idea, but keep part of the theory. Maybe a platinum VIFP could boost you to the 2nd or even 3rd tier of a line like HAL or Princess.

I believe someone who built up to Platinum is probably more than a "throw away booze cruiser". Offer them something. As people get older, they tend to have different interests.

When benefits are already so minimally different between the levels, even between Platinum and Diamond is it really relevant to introduce additional levels other than to make people feel good?

Honestly the only perk we enjoy at Platnium is with embarkation and debarkation. The pins are never looked at again. Most gifts are meh. With all the food on the ship we don't need the chocolates delivered. Free laundry sounds good but when they wash everything together in one large washer of hot water and don't use softeners it's meh. Priority for MDR has never been used in 18 cruises. Same for tendering. The free drink is so limited when you can redeem, do you really want a drink at breakfast, like really?

So with 18 cruises and 3 more already booked there is only one benefit we find useful, but I know that's just one person's view....

With that, Carnival should really look at what would really be of value to offer before even considering additional changes to number of levels now offered.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Maybe you are right. Maybe the whole program needs to be reworked. Personally for me, the priority debarkation and embarkation is a good enough perk. Maybe something else could sweeten the deal? Maybe some stuff could go away.

Even if it's not directly money-based, you should EARN at least somewhat proportionately to what you shell out for your cabin. Forget the folio for a moment and consider just cabins alone. Maybe a multiplier based on cabin type, even something simple like:

Inside cabin = 1x points

O/V = 1.25x points

Balcony = 1.5x points

Suite = 2x points

Yes, you would dilute the value of being a loyal customer on the higher priced, snobbier brands.

Higher priced does not automatically make a line "snobbier". We've sailed Cunard and HAL and the real difference is in the average age of the passengers. What a 20-something finds great fun doesn't necessarily hold the same lure for a 50 or 60-something. The older ones aren't necessariy snobby - their interests and motives just matured as they did. In my 20's I might have danced on top of the bar.... In my 60's I'm having my nightcap about the time I was just going out in my 20's. :D

Carnival is very child friendly, affordable for families and that's a good thing ... BUT .... not everyone wants to cruise with a ship full of kids - especially during school vacation time. It doesn't make us snobby - we raised our kids and babysit our grandkids. Many of us cruise to get "away from it all" and for peace and quiet :) (along with some very cool sightseeing !!)

Something for everyone is why the cruise lines under the Carnival Corp umbrella all have a different flavor and demographic.;)